Finally Getting a Nexus 5 - Tether Question

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm making the switch from Verizon to AT&T and finally getting a Nexus 5. I plan on using tether every so often, but wasn't sure how that would work. On my Verizon Moto X there's the Verizon mobile hotspot app. Obviously the Nexus won't have the AT&T hotspot app. So do I download another tether app or go into settings every time I want to tether?

Thanks!

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Wrong. Mobile Hotspot app is built into the Android for a long time (since Froyo). The N5 on AT&T is even better as it has no code to check whether or not you have paid for tethering plan.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Well I know you can turn it on in the settings, but you're saying there's actually a WiFi hotspot app on the Nexus (haven't got it yet)?

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
There is no separate app needed. Turn it on/off and that's it. traditionally, carrier branded phones require additional code to force you to pay for the tethering plan but N5 doesn't need this for AT&T. But if you choose Sprint or T-Mo, you still have to pay for the tethering plan before you can use it. (But since you are new to AT&T, most data plans already allow tether anyway).
You won't get unlimited data plan which is the only reason why carriers want to enforce tethering policy.

Last edited:

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
But if you choose Sprint or T-Mo, you still have to pay for the tethering plan before you can use it.

Almost all T-Mobile pre and post paid plans include some tethering. The 2.5GB and unlimited 4G plans include 2.5GB. There is no additional cost.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Attached is a screen shot with the Hotspot feature. I don't use it, so can't say of it'll work without a carrier plan unless you are rooted. If it does not, then consider Fox-Fi from the Play Store.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1391970142997.jpg
    1391970142997.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 48

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I know it'll work on AT&T, I just didn't know if I needed an app to do it or if I should just go into settings to turn it on since it obviously won't have the AT&T hotspot app.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
You are being duped by Verizon for too long. No other carrier needs carrier specific hotspot app. It works on AT&T for me.

Yeah, I know it'll work on AT&T, I just didn't know if I needed an app to do it or if I should just go into settings to turn it on since it obviously won't have the AT&T hotspot app.

Sentrix

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Can confirm the stock mobile hotspot feature works fine on AT&T.
I have the $60 prepaid plan (unlimited talk/text, 2GB LTE)

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
You can use tethering on Verizon without their app also, there are apps that turn on tethering without a Verizon tethering plan on an unrooted phone, on a rooted phone it's built in. I had a Verizon Galaxy Nexus before my Nexus 5 (on AT&T). I used one of those apps early on, before I rooted my phone, and it worked fine. The FCC fined Verizon for trying to block the tethering apps because as part of their spectrum agreement they had to allow tethering. However Verizon obscured the fact that you didn't need their permission to tether. Their tethering plan gave you an extra gigabyte in exchange for the $20 a month so technically they weren't violating the FCC rule.

The Nexus 5 is a true Nexus device without carrier interference (unlike the Galaxy Nexus) so the hotspot feature is front and center, it's on Settings under More.. There are things that look like apps that will get you to the Settings section, but they are really just links.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Just to be clear, if your carrier does not include tethering with your plan we cannot discuss ways around that to get free tethering. I don't care whether you believe that it is morally or legally right or not, we cannot discuss ways of getting around it in the forums. :)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Just to be clear, if your carrier does not include tethering with your plan we cannot discuss ways around that to get free tethering. I don't care whether you believe that it is morally or legally right or not, we cannot discuss ways of getting around it in the forums. :)

Not exactly true. There are many threads on the forums that talk about getting around tethering. I've never seen a mod close anything for it yet so not sure if an official rule has been established.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
You can tether on att's new share value plans. I know that much! We have 10 gigs for 2 lines! Its a pretty good deal.

That's exactly what we're switching to from Verizon. It'll save me about $70 a month and I'll finally be able to use a flipping Nexus!

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Not exactly true. There are many threads on the forums that talk about getting around tethering. I've never seen a mod close anything for it yet so not sure if an official rule has been established.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

On top of that its data you pay for. So you should be able to use it the way you see fit. If you go over then you pay for it or its throttled on most carriers.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
On top of that its data you pay for. So you should be able to use it the way you see fit. If you go over then you pay for it or its throttled on most carriers.

Most carriers give free tethering to those with a capped data plan anyway. It is those with unlimited data plans the carrier worries about.

- - - Updated - - -

As a side question, does the Nexus display the AT&T logo on the notification bar like it does on the Moto X?

Only AT&T branded phone do that. Ugly as hell.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Most carriers give free tethering to those with a capped data plan anyway. It is those with unlimited data plans the carrier worries about.

- - - Updated - - -

Only AT&T branded phone do that. Ugly as hell.

Thank God. I hate that. That's my biggest issue about going to AT&T. If I get a phone that isn't a Nexus, I'm going to have to stare at that ugly crap all day. People complain about Verizon logos on the back of the phone, but I think this is much worse - and you don't hear the same complaints.