Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Unhappy This is the second time...

Okay I will admit, I dropped my Nexus at least once or twice... and on hard floor.. Nothing has happened to it. So one day, I was putting my school books into my phone, just so I can read em on the go. I plug in my phone to my laptop and nothing was popping up. I'll have you know, I am fairly knowledgeable with computer drivers and what not, so everything is downloaded up to date and good to go. My phone was charging, but it wasn't showing up as PTP or MTP. So I used that USBdeview to check if my phone was showing up and it wasn't, so I was getting confused. Just a couple days ago, I was transferring stuff from my phone to computer without a problem. I tried fastbooting my phone to see maybe it'll catch it there. Yet, again, it didn't show up. So I was like okay, I'm not gonna freak out. I go home to a Mac, family just bought it and it's brand spanking new. I download Android Mac transfer mumbo jumbo. It didn't read it there either. So I caved and bought myself another one and it worked for the first couple of days, now I am in the same boat again. My phone is not reading and I didn't even plug it in that much? I don't know what's going on and it sucks...
    BlackBerry Bold 9700>iPhone 4>iPhone 4S>NOKIA Lumia 900>Samsung Galaxy Nexus>LG Nexus 4>Asus Nexus 7(2013)>LG Nexus 5

Default Re: This is the second time...

When you say you bought yourself another one, do you mean another Nexus 5?

If this is the same phone, then have you tried a different cable? The wires inside a cable can sometimes get loose or frayed, such that the data doesn't transfer, although the charging might still work (or vice-versa).
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    When you say you bought yourself another one, do you mean another Nexus 5?

If this is the same phone, then have you tried a different cable? The wires inside a cable can sometimes get loose or frayed, such that the data doesn't transfer, although the charging might still work (or vice-versa).
    Yeah, I bought myself another Nexus 5.... Figured it would be a good idea, my first one was acting strange, vibrating on it's own and folders wouldn't show up even after restarting. Even Factory resetting didn't help with the hiding folders.

I've tried two different, USB cords here at work. One I think is definitely messed up, but it shows up and just charges slow. The second one, I just bought a new charger and I haven't connected it to the phone on the computer to transfer data, but when I do try to connect it on the computer it doesn't show up either. I have an unused N4 charger sitting next to me.. I guess I might have to try that one out.... Yeah, that didn't work either.
    BlackBerry Bold 9700>iPhone 4>iPhone 4S>NOKIA Lumia 900>Samsung Galaxy Nexus>LG Nexus 4>Asus Nexus 7(2013)>LG Nexus 5

What about the computer? Do you only have a Mac? I don't know much about connecting Android devices to Macs, but perhaps the drivers need to be reinstalled? Have you rebooted the Mac? This helps sometimes when my PC doesn't recognize my Android device.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    What about the computer? Do you only have a Mac? I don't know much about connecting Android devices to Macs, but perhaps the drivers need to be reinstalled? Have you rebooted the Mac? This helps sometimes when my PC doesn't recognize my Android device.
    My main system is Windows. I restart like crazy, but it seems weird though. My anti-virus seems to be stopping services.. to speed up my computer. So I don't know if that's the reason it's not showing up, but I don't think that's the reason. I just tried on a different computer, which was a Mac and it never showed up on there. Again, though, it was charging my phone as well. I will try again restarting it, the Mac to see if that'll help it out. I will try again tomorrow first thing when I fire up my Laptop (Windows) to see if it reads it.

Not all USB charger cords include the data wires/contacts. You say you bought a new Nexus 5. Have you tried the cable that came with that?
    Pat

Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.4