Nexus 5 vs iPhone 4s camera

Moosebear

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
There are some shot comparisons here between the Iphone 5s and the Nexus 5.

And the reviewer makes this conclusion: "These shots are almost indiscernable. No clear advantage one way or the other, despite Apple's boasts of more lifelike flash images with the 5s' "True Tone" dual LED flash."

Moosebear

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
shot with only iPhone 5s's. I don't know of any smartphone that would equal this quality of video.

The quality in that video is largely because of excellent shots and they have the iPhone on some sort of dolly or arm. Do you really think the actual image quality is better than on the iPhone? I haven't compared.

The Note 3 shoots in 4K, but doesn't the iPhone shoot in 1080p, just like the Nexus 5?

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
This is the Rating & Conclusion page on the Nexus 5 from a Photography Blog site that reviews mainly stand alone camera and a few phones. BTW, I have had a iPhone 4 and it's camera wasn't even close to the quality of the Nexus 5. The Nexus 5's true HDR+ mode that has made many of my friends that have i5 phones envious that I can take a picture in low light inside a bar and get a better picture than they can with their flash. I laugh every time I take a picture in HDR+ mode and people say your flash didn't go off and I tell them my N5 doesn't need a flash for this much light.

Read the whole article if you have any worry about the Nexus 5 ability to take pictures. Note this review was made after the Nexus 5 had the software update.

Nexus 5 Camera Review by Photography Blog (note set to the the final Rating & Conclusion page

Last edited:

Sean518848

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
It is definitely worse than iPhone4S.

Nothing to do with the sensor. The sensor is great under good light condition and is super crisp. However white balance is weird and under low-light...

The RUBBISH compression just wash away any detail you want!

And if you want to take video, forget it. Again, compression is visible even on phone screen not to mention on a monitor.
You can not point on the screen to choose your focus. And the audio is HORRIBLE...

The quality under good light condition, nexus5 wins no arguments.

However other than that, iPhone4s is head and shoulders above the nexus5.

I am previously an iPhone4s owner. Judging by the price, Nexus5 still is a good purchase.

However in terms of camera, it is worse than iPhone4s.

If you need proof, I can do a side by side comparison.

Everyone is talking about the update. Yes the update did make a difference. But that was pulling the NEXUS5 from a rubbish camera to a normal camera.

It is by no means great.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
It's amazing that these tiny inexpensive cell phone sensors and optics are as good as they are. 15 years ago I paid many thousands for state of the art professional digital gear and incredulously my Nexus 5 images of today compare quite favorably.

What really makes cell phone cameras great is that we always have them with us to record our lives and the things that matter most to us.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
It is definitely worse than iPhone4S.

Nothing to do with the sensor. The sensor is great under good light condition and is super crisp. However white balance is weird and under low-light...

The RUBBISH compression just wash away any detail you want!

And if you want to take video, forget it. Again, compression is visible even on phone screen not to mention on a monitor.
You can not point on the screen to choose your focus. And the audio is HORRIBLE...

The quality under good light condition, nexus5 wins no arguments.

However other than that, iPhone4s is head and shoulders above the nexus5.

I am previously an iPhone4s owner. Judging by the price, Nexus5 still is a good purchase.

However in terms of camera, it is worse than iPhone4s.

If you need proof, I can do a side by side comparison.

Everyone is talking about the update. Yes the update did make a difference. But that was pulling the NEXUS5 from a rubbish camera to a normal camera.

It is by no means great.

The Nexus 5 takes horrendous video. If the lighting isn't absolutely ideal and perfect, it will look like complete crap.

However I wouldn't say the iPhone 4s is head and shoulders above. I think it honestly comes down to the user. I think the iPhone camera is designed much like their OS in general. Take any and all guesswork out of it, and with it goes your ability to do much of anything. You get good shots in a wider range of scenarios, but you don't get anything GREAT like you can with the Nexus 5. I can honestly say that the N5 is more inconsistent, but when I have an understanding of the different settings, I can produce shots that are outstanding for a smartphone camera.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Actually the 41 megapixel Nokia beats all other phone cameras by a very wide margin.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited:

trusta12

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for all the replies! I decided to buy a Nexus 5 yesterday and will try it out next to my iphone 4s. I can give my views and thoughts in a month!

mcelmeel17

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Comparing my n5 camera to my gf's 5s, I gotta say the iPhone 5s camera is definitely better. Same with the 5. Even the 4s is probably slightly better than the n5 (but its not by much). I think it stacks up very well against the newest iPhone s, but I give the edge to the apple phones unfortunately.. With that said, at least my n5 is in the same ballpark as it. My nexus 4 camera was god awful. I was embarrassed to use it around her lol.

Any who, tldr: n5 camera is more than serviceable, but just a step or so behind due to slow performance and noise in shots where the iPhone doesn't.

Posted via Android Central App

3C0T3CH

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
A friend of mine who is the proud new owner of a golden iPhone 5S took some shots side by side me with my Nexus 5 at a late evening party. We both agree the Nexus 5 took noticeably beater shots in the lower lighting conditions. The images were sharper on the Nexus 5, colors looked better and truer to the eye, and light and dark areas weren't contrasted/saturated out of visible clarity (you could still see in shadowed ares even with a light in the frame). I was using HDR+. We were both a little surprised by how good the Nexus 5 photos where compared to those taken by the 5S.

Last edited:

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hey, I have a question that I'm unable to find the answer to anywhere.

Is the Nexus 5 Camera better than the iphone 4s?
Yes, definitely. Especially low light and macro.

Not taking anything away from the 4S...Apple does include awesome cameras in their phones. The fact that the Nexus 5 is better than the 4S is a measure of just how good the Nexus camera is, not how bad the 4S camera is.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Having used the iPhone 4s and 5s and the N5, I would say the biggest advantage that the iPhones have over the N5 is the auto focus and shutter speed.
This.

Shutter speed is a big weakness of the Nexus, even compared to other Android phones. And even with HDR+ off.

But if you have time to line up a shot, the Nexus 5 takes amazing photos IMO. For a smartphone anyway.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
My suspicion is that if you are a good enough photographer to be able to identify or care about the differences in image quality between today's phones, you are probably not using a phone to take pictures.
Here is the thing...there are lots of downsides to carrying around a camera. It is bulkier and heavier, it is single purpose, and it is expensive. I am not taking a $400+ camera to the beach. I'm just not. It could get stolen, wet, or get sand on it (which you do NOT want anywhere near that expensive lens).

By contrast my smartphone is always with me because it is also a phone. It is more protected because it is in my pocket...it is in my pocket because it is not heavy and bulky.

Smartphones have become the defacto cameras for people for these reasons. I don't know anyone who carry's a normal camera around all the time, even on vacation. It's a special thing that is out of the norm for the reasons listed above. You take a normal camera with you to special events, and you use your smartphone for everything else.

So that being said, it makes sense to want to get the best camera you can on your phone. Because chances are, most of the pictures you are going to take will be with your phone, not with your expensive camera. I will end up buying a normal camera eventually for one reason; Optical zoom. That is something smartphones will never have probably.

Moosebear

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
. You take a normal camera with you to special events, and you use your smartphone for everything else.

Hear hear! And since the Nexus 5 is my smartphone of choice, I'm happy to know it is a reasonably good camera. Now if someone can point me to a well-written visual guide of how to best use it, including the HDR+ and focus etc, I'd be a happy moose.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante