Nexus 5 vs iPhone 4s camera

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Definitely better than the 4S and probably even the 5 :)
Welcome to Android Central, btw

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running Slim Bean 4.3

jtb79

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I think it is better personally. All I heard before I bought the N5 was how bad the camera was, but its taken as good or better pics for me than any phone I've had so far except a brief flirtation with the Nokia Lumia 925. I had the 4S and iPhone 5 previously.

Posted via Android Central App

trusta12

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
I think it is better personally. All I heard before I bought the N5 was how bad the camera was, but its taken as good or better pics for me than any phone I've had so far except a brief flirtation with the Nokia Lumia 925. I had the 4S and iPhone 5 previously.

Yes, they say that the iPhone 5 is better and that the Nexus 5 is a little way back there so it sounds like the 4s & N5 is kinda equal.

I?m using the 4s now and I'm thinking of changing to Nexus 5, the only warning sign I've heard is the camera on the N5 so I'm searching for more information or experiences.

JohnnyBroccoli

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
I kinda doubt the camera on the Nexus 5 is better than that on the iPhone 4S. I'm not even sure the camera on the Nexus 5 is better than the one on the iPhone 4 that I was using the last 3 years. I haven't exhaustively compared the two or anything though.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I kinda doubt the camera on the Nexus 5 is better than that on the iPhone 4S. I'm not even sure the camera on the Nexus 5 is better than the one on the iPhone 4 that I was using the last 3 years. I haven't exhaustively compared the two or anything though.
The camera on the iPhone 4 was horrendous. The iPhone 4S wasn't much better, and while the N5 is not great, it's certainly around the quality of the iPhone 5. Plus, it has OIS. So video and low-light photos will be better

gonkowonko

May 5, 2013
Visit site
the iphone 5 has the same camera virtually as the 4s. I had the iphone 5 and the photos were really good outside but inside they looked crap. After having the n5 for 2 weeks the photos are way better than that of my old 5. In some situations yes the iphone took better pictures but i get nicer ones on the n5 in my opinion.

JohnnyBroccoli

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
The camera on the iPhone 4 was horrendous. The iPhone 4S wasn't much better, and while the N5 is not great, it's certainly around the quality of the iPhone 5. Plus, it has OIS. So video and low-light photos will be better
Are you saying this from personal experience with the phone or simply from reading reviews/lists of specs? Neither perform great in low light conditions. The interface of the iPhone camera is more user friendly. Both are fine for what they are to me though. Going straight from one to the other, I haven't noticed a huge difference in the pictures taken.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Are you saying this from personal experience with the phone or simply from reading reviews/lists of specs? Neither perform great in low light conditions. The interface of the iPhone camera is more user friendly. Both are fine for what they are to me though. Going straight from one to the other, I haven't noticed a huge difference in the pictures taken.

I've used the 4S camera, as well as the 5's. Haven't personally used the Nexus 5 but the pictures look better from what I've seen.
Don't know why the iPhone gets so much praise for its camera, in anything but outdoor lighting, most of the shots I took were either very, or at least somewhat blurry. In both HDR and the regular camera mode.
The iPhone 4 was pretty bad all around

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running Slim Bean 4.3

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Based on every picture i've seen online, and my experience with the N5 i'd say the camera would be maybe just a shade below that of the iPhone 5 but definitely better than the 4s or the 4. I would say that the N5 probably requires a little more tweaking of settings to get the optimal performance, but not so much that it's a nuisance. I actually find it entertaining to learn the different settings.

I've never owned an iPhone, but I am surrounded by them and have seen a large array of shots taken from the 3gs up to the 5. I'm not expert so i'm not going to claim anything crazy here but you should be just fine with the quality of the N5 camera.

m3mpower

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi
I've had the iPhone 4, 4s and iPhone 5, and now the Nexus 5, and honestly I'm very satisfied with the picture quality and video quality of the N5.
I'm not sure which one is best ( between the N5 and iPhone 5 ), but I'm not a professional photographer either.
Both suited my needs...

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
We have two iPhone 5s in our family. In side by side comparisons my Nexus 5 produces images that are sharper with better color.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

oberkc

May 27, 2011
Visit site
My suspicion is that if you are a good enough photographer to be able to identify or care about the differences in image quality between today's phones, you are probably not using a phone to take pictures.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
We have two iPhone 5s in our family. In side by side comparisons my Nexus 5 produces images that are sharper with better color.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

I have also used the iPhone 5 and 5s and the iPhone cameras are one of the best for camera phones ....the only reason I prefer the nexus 5 camera is the OIS which I love

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JConn_Lefty

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
my previous phone was a lumia 920. the one thing good about the 920 is the camera, more specifically, night photos. the n5 camera is def not as bad as what you read online. i'd say it's on-par or MAYBE just a little better than the 4.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
While I will freely admit that iPhone cameras are excellent, I have noticed that photos from my wife's iPhone 4S seem blurry more often than they should be for such a touted camera. Personally, I think the Nexus 5 camera is comparable.

davekr

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Having used the iPhone 4s and 5s and the N5, I would say the biggest advantage that the iPhones have over the N5 is the auto focus and shutter speed. With the N5 I have a really hard time getting non-blurry pics of my kids, who never sit still. With the iPhones, I have a much better rate of success in that aspect. I'm not photographer, but that is the one thing that I would give a big advantage to the iPhone over the N5.

ShazPrimus

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
My pal has a S4 and after looking at her photos from a party and at mines...mines all looked better...no red eye...no blur...I was shocked at how crisp mines looked compared to hers....I know mega pixels are just are number and relate to photo size generally but I don't regret getting this phone considering that I love to take photos on my phones when the moment arises