Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 5 vs iPhone 4s camera

Hey, I have a question that I'm unable to find the answer to anywhere.

Is the Nexus 5 Camera better than the iphone 4s?

Definitely better than the 4S and probably even the 5
    Welcome to Android Central, btw

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running Slim Bean 4.3
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

Current Devices:
    Galaxy Note 4
    rMBP 13"
    iPad 2
    ottscay likes this.

Global Posts
    212 Global Posts

Default Re: Nexus 5 vs iPhone 4s camera

I think it is better personally. All I heard before I bought the N5 was how bad the camera was, but its taken as good or better pics for me than any phone I've had so far except a brief flirtation with the Nokia Lumia 925. I had the 4S and iPhone 5 previously.

Posted via Android Central App
    ShazPrimus likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by jtb79 View Post
    I think it is better personally. All I heard before I bought the N5 was how bad the camera was, but its taken as good or better pics for me than any phone I've had so far except a brief flirtation with the Nokia Lumia 925. I had the 4S and iPhone 5 previously.

Yes, they say that the iPhone 5 is better and that the Nexus 5 is a little way back there so it sounds like the 4s & N5 is kinda equal.

Im using the 4s now and I'm thinking of changing to Nexus 5, the only warning sign I've heard is the camera on the N5 so I'm searching for more information or experiences.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Welcome to Android Central, btw
    Thank you UJ95x!

I kinda doubt the camera on the Nexus 5 is better than that on the iPhone 4S. I'm not even sure the camera on the Nexus 5 is better than the one on the iPhone 4 that I was using the last 3 years. I haven't exhaustively compared the two or anything though.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBroccoli View Post
    I kinda doubt the camera on the Nexus 5 is better than that on the iPhone 4S. I'm not even sure the camera on the Nexus 5 is better than the one on the iPhone 4 that I was using the last 3 years. I haven't exhaustively compared the two or anything though.
    The camera on the iPhone 4 was horrendous. The iPhone 4S wasn't much better, and while the N5 is not great, it's certainly around the quality of the iPhone 5. Plus, it has OIS. So video and low-light photos will be better
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

Current Devices:
    Galaxy Note 4
    rMBP 13"
    iPad 2

the iphone 5 has the same camera virtually as the 4s. I had the iphone 5 and the photos were really good outside but inside they looked crap. After having the n5 for 2 weeks the photos are way better than that of my old 5. In some situations yes the iphone took better pictures but i get nicer ones on the n5 in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    The camera on the iPhone 4 was horrendous. The iPhone 4S wasn't much better, and while the N5 is not great, it's certainly around the quality of the iPhone 5. Plus, it has OIS. So video and low-light photos will be better
    Are you saying this from personal experience with the phone or simply from reading reviews/lists of specs? Neither perform great in low light conditions. The interface of the iPhone camera is more user friendly. Both are fine for what they are to me though. Going straight from one to the other, I haven't noticed a huge difference in the pictures taken.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBroccoli View Post
    Are you saying this from personal experience with the phone or simply from reading reviews/lists of specs? Neither perform great in low light conditions. The interface of the iPhone camera is more user friendly. Both are fine for what they are to me though. Going straight from one to the other, I haven't noticed a huge difference in the pictures taken.
    I've used the 4S camera, as well as the 5's. Haven't personally used the Nexus 5 but the pictures look better from what I've seen.
    Don't know why the iPhone gets so much praise for its camera, in anything but outdoor lighting, most of the shots I took were either very, or at least somewhat blurry. In both HDR and the regular camera mode.
    The iPhone 4 was pretty bad all around

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running Slim Bean 4.3

Current Devices:
    Galaxy Note 4
    rMBP 13"
    iPad 2

Based on every picture i've seen online, and my experience with the N5 i'd say the camera would be maybe just a shade below that of the iPhone 5 but definitely better than the 4s or the 4. I would say that the N5 probably requires a little more tweaking of settings to get the optimal performance, but not so much that it's a nuisance. I actually find it entertaining to learn the different settings.

I've never owned an iPhone, but I am surrounded by them and have seen a large array of shots taken from the 3gs up to the 5. I'm not expert so i'm not going to claim anything crazy here but you should be just fine with the quality of the N5 camera.
    Droid Bionic>Droid Razr Maxx>Verizon Galaxy S3>T-Mobile Galaxy S3, Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Note 4, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

Hi
    I've had the iPhone 4, 4s and iPhone 5, and now the Nexus 5, and honestly I'm very satisfied with the picture quality and video quality of the N5.
    I'm not sure which one is best ( between the N5 and iPhone 5 ), but I'm not a professional photographer either.
    Both suited my needs...

We have two iPhone 5s in our family. In side by side comparisons my Nexus 5 produces images that are sharper with better color.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    Thanked by:

My suspicion is that if you are a good enough photographer to be able to identify or care about the differences in image quality between today's phones, you are probably not using a phone to take pictures.
    LegalAmerican and euanpne like this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    4,060 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TraderGary View Post
    We have two iPhone 5s in our family. In side by side comparisons my Nexus 5 produces images that are sharper with better color.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    I have also used the iPhone 5 and 5s and the iPhone cameras are one of the best for camera phones ....the only reason I prefer the nexus 5 camera is the OIS which I love

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

my previous phone was a lumia 920. the one thing good about the 920 is the camera, more specifically, night photos. the n5 camera is def not as bad as what you read online. i'd say it's on-par or MAYBE just a little better than the 4.

While I will freely admit that iPhone cameras are excellent, I have noticed that photos from my wife's iPhone 4S seem blurry more often than they should be for such a touted camera. Personally, I think the Nexus 5 camera is comparable.

IN CASE YOU'RE WONDERING, I'll be on vacation from 7/27 to 8/13, with only intermittent web access. So if you don't see me around much, don't worry, I didn't defect to another site or anything like that.

User makes a big difference too.

Global Posts
    84 Global Posts

Having used the iPhone 4s and 5s and the N5, I would say the biggest advantage that the iPhones have over the N5 is the auto focus and shutter speed. With the N5 I have a really hard time getting non-blurry pics of my kids, who never sit still. With the iPhones, I have a much better rate of success in that aspect. I'm not photographer, but that is the one thing that I would give a big advantage to the iPhone over the N5.

My pal has a S4 and after looking at her photos from a party and at mines...mines all looked better...no red eye...no blur...I was shocked at how crisp mines looked compared to hers....I know mega pixels are just are number and relate to photo size generally but I don't regret getting this phone considering that I love to take photos on my phones when the moment arises

Global Posts
    40 Global Posts

There are some shot comparisons here between the Iphone 5s and the Nexus 5.

And the reviewer makes this conclusion: "These shots are almost indiscernable. No clear advantage one way or the other, despite Apple's boasts of more lifelike flash images with the 5s' "True Tone" dual LED flash."
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,580 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Check out this video. It is an unaired Super Bowl ad that was shot with only iPhone 5s's. I don't know of any smartphone that would equal this quality of video.

Global Posts
    40 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pappy53 View Post
    shot with only iPhone 5s's. I don't know of any smartphone that would equal this quality of video.
    The quality in that video is largely because of excellent shots and they have the iPhone on some sort of dolly or arm. Do you really think the actual image quality is better than on the iPhone? I haven't compared.

The Note 3 shoots in 4K, but doesn't the iPhone shoot in 1080p, just like the Nexus 5?

This is the Rating & Conclusion page on the Nexus 5 from a Photography Blog site that reviews mainly stand alone camera and a few phones. BTW, I have had a iPhone 4 and it's camera wasn't even close to the quality of the Nexus 5. The Nexus 5's true HDR+ mode that has made many of my friends that have i5 phones envious that I can take a picture in low light inside a bar and get a better picture than they can with their flash. I laugh every time I take a picture in HDR+ mode and people say your flash didn't go off and I tell them my N5 doesn't need a flash for this much light.

Read the whole article if you have any worry about the Nexus 5 ability to take pictures. Note this review was made after the Nexus 5 had the software update.

Nexus 5 Camera Review by Photography Blog (note set to the the final Rating & Conclusion page

It is definitely worse than iPhone4S.

Nothing to do with the sensor. The sensor is great under good light condition and is super crisp. However white balance is weird and under low-light...

The RUBBISH compression just wash away any detail you want!

And if you want to take video, forget it. Again, compression is visible even on phone screen not to mention on a monitor.
    You can not point on the screen to choose your focus. And the audio is HORRIBLE...

The quality under good light condition, nexus5 wins no arguments.

However other than that, iPhone4s is head and shoulders above the nexus5.

I am previously an iPhone4s owner. Judging by the price, Nexus5 still is a good purchase.

However in terms of camera, it is worse than iPhone4s.

If you need proof, I can do a side by side comparison.

Everyone is talking about the update. Yes the update did make a difference. But that was pulling the NEXUS5 from a rubbish camera to a normal camera.

It is by no means great.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast