Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By TEdelman
  • 1 Post By Brian Low
  • 1 Post By Yogi217
  • 3 Post By Yogi217
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 5: how's Gorilla Glass 3 holding up

I just dropped my nexus 5 and THANK GOD i had a tempered glass screen protector on it. The glass protector didn't survive but my phone did so its all good. But i really dislike having my phone completely naked (the case broke as well). I would like to know for all of you who have their nexus 5 naked, hows the screen and the back camera coming along? Are there any scratches of the sort on either of them? Im probably going to buy the next nexus....so i guess going naked for a couple of months wouldn't hurt. Just one of my pet peeves though.
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 02-12-2014 at 09:21 AM.

Global Posts
    860 Global Posts

Default Re: hows gorilla glass 3 holding up

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Low View Post
    I just dropped my nexus 5 and THANK GOD i had a tempered glass screen protector on it. The glass protector didn't survive but my phone did so its all good. But i really dislike having my phone completely naked (the case broke as well). I would like to know for all of you who have their nexus 5 naked, hows the screen and the back camera coming along? Are there any scratches of the sort on either of them? Im probably going to buy the next nexus....so i guess going naked for a couple of months wouldn't hurt. Just one of my pet peeves though.
    A couple of months? It probably won't be released until Q4 of this year. That's a long time to go without something to protect it, especially in light of your recent mishap.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by jdk2 View Post
    A couple of months? It probably won't be released until Q4 of this year. That's a long time to go without something to protect it, especially in light of your recent mishap.
    Eh I figured roughly 9 months is survivable. I normally baby the crap out of my phones... But this one time I was just acting really stupid and I guess I deserve it.

Posted via Android Central App

Eh I figured roughly 9 months is survivable. I normally baby the crap out of my phones... But this one time I was just acting really stupid and I guess I deserve it.

No scratches on my camera lens. Just some fingerprints and dust. I still have the factory film on the screen (I know, I know!) so no scratches. I usually set my phone down on soft surfaces like cloth though.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrsmumbles View Post
    No scratches on my camera lens. Just some fingerprints and dust. I still have the factory film on the screen (I know, I know!) so no scratches. I usually set my phone down on soft surfaces like cloth though.

I usually use a screen protector and case, but I really like the feel of the phone. Like you I only recently took off the Nexus 5 film, and what a difference it makes. I think as long as you are careful, one can make it a long time without bulky protection.
    mrsmumbles likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TEdelman View Post
    I usually use a screen protector and case, but I really like the feel of the phone. Like you I only recently took off the Nexus 5 film, and what a difference it makes. I think as long as you are careful, one can make it a long time without bulky protection.
    Ugh it's that being careful part that's difficult lol.

Somehow I can't bring myself to remove the film. Whenever something gets on it I sigh with relief and think, it's only on the film. :-) I know I should outfit it with a glass screen protector but I'm bad at getting them on.

8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by mrsmumbles View Post
    Somehow I can't bring myself to remove the film. Whenever something gets on it I sigh with relief and think, it's only on the film. :-) I know I should outfit it with a glass screen protector but I'm bad at getting them on.

Seriously though. The glass protectors are definitely worth it. The way I almost destroyed my phone was me wearing boots and stomping on top of my phone. The glass screen took most of the impact from what happened and just split in half. I really recommend getting that glass protector.... But I don't feel like dishing out another 30 bucks

mrsmumbles likes this.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

So you've had the phone naked for a while right? How's the body and what not holding up? It scares me to think of the possibilities that might happen if I don't have a case on this haba

Default Re: Nexus 5: how's Gorilla Glass 3 holding up

Seriously though. The glass protectors are definitely worth it. The way I almost destroyed my phone was me wearing boots and stomping on top of my phone. The glass screen took most of the impact from what happened and just split in half. I really recommend getting that glass protector.... But I don't feel like dishing out another 30 bucks

Wow, good thing you had it! You're right of course. An accident could happen. :/ I should just order one already.

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2

What screen protector did you have? Sounds like a good testimony! Might have to buy one since I hate plastic ones

Nexus 7 Grouper
    SlimROM
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by Yogi217 View Post
    What screen protector did you have? Sounds like a good testimony! Might have to buy one since I hate plastic ones

Nexus 7 Grouper
    SlimROM
    It was the spigen tr slim nano. I actually didn't expect my phone to survive and kind of crumbled to the ground thinking "oh no... Please no..." Ripped off the protector and my nexus still looks brand new. Definitely worth it, but question is do you want to shell out 40 bucks for it and than another 40 if you break it or mess up?

Yeah, I hear that. I used my Nexus 4 for about 3 months with no screen protector before giving the phone to my wife and getting the Nexus 5. No noticeable scratches.

I hate screen protectors... I have a three pack of some cheap ones. I used one for a month, and ripped it off. No screen protector right now, but will put one on for a month or two until it gets raggedy. Once I use all of the three up, I'll just go naked screen for the rest of the year...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Brian Low likes this.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Haha yea I've decided to just go naked for the rest of the year. After using the glass protectors I don't think I can go back to plastic ones.

Thanked by:

With touchscreen phones i prefer a case despite loving the feel of this phone naked...mines has screen protector and because the camera lens sticks out a tad I didnt want to have to watch how I placed it in table tops so i got a case for it...and even better it's a Batman Logo case and freakin love it and also it protects the lens because there is a raise edge around the lens to further lessen any damage...my only scare when i last dropped my phone was when i almost dropped it on to dog poo....i prayed for a cracked screen if it didnt hit the poo lol it but luckily the phone missed it by a baw hair and uncracked lol

Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,034 Global Posts

Mine's still perfect. Spigen Neo Hybrid keeps screen somewhat protected.
    Thanked by:
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Quote Originally Posted by petaf View Post
    Mine's still perfect. Spigen Neo Hybrid keeps screen somewhat protected.
    i was using the neo hybrid before the fall. I guess my foot was so heavy that the bumper cracked in half haha

Quote Originally Posted by ShazPrimus View Post
    With touchscreen phones i prefer a case despite loving the feel of this phone naked...mines has screen protector and because the camera lens sticks out a tad I didnt want to have to watch how I placed it in table tops so i got a case for it...and even better it's a Batman Logo case and freakin love it and also it protects the lens because there is a raise edge around the lens to further lessen any damage...my only scare when i last dropped my phone was when i almost dropped it on to dog poo....i prayed for a cracked screen if it didnt hit the poo lol it but luckily the phone missed it by a baw hair and uncracked lol

Funny enough, my wife dropped her nexus 4 into the toilet last week, before using the toilet, and the phone still works (let it dry out for a week before attempting to use it). I call it the poopy phone of course!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    sMt73, Brian Low and ShazPrimus like this.

Anyone use the Cruzerlite TruGlass screen protector? That looks pretty nice. It's kind of expensive but it is flexible glass, so it should go on a little easier than the solid glass ones. I've never used a glass screen protector but I always use some kind of screen protector because I'm so OCD and paranoid about jacking up my phone.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Quote Originally Posted by Wildo6882 View Post
    Anyone use the Cruzerlite TruGlass screen protector? That looks pretty nice. It's kind of expensive but it is flexible glass, so it should go on a little easier than the solid glass ones. I've never used a glass screen protector but I always use some kind of screen protector because I'm so OCD and paranoid about jacking up my phone.
    Droid life did a recent review on it if anyones interested.
    http://www.droid-life.com/2014/02/12...tector-review/

I was very paranoid when i first got the nexus 5. I couldn't stand it being naked for the first couple of days. I hear gorilla glass three is pretty strong...but i can already see 2 (what seem like) scratches on my bottom bezel... which i assume was put on before i had the tempered glass on. Doesn't feel like a scratch but its there nonetheless. Gonna go naked for a while. Not to worried about the screen or the body, more worried for the camera getting scratched up.