Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Battery Life on Nexus 5

I am considering ordering a nexus 5 but have read online about it having terrible battery life.

Has the battery life gotten any better over time? I don't want to have to charge it during the day. I want it to last the whole day with moderate to heavy use. Is this realistic?

Default Re: Battery Life on Nexus 5

Quote Originally Posted by austriak View Post
    I am considering ordering a nexus 5 but have read online about it having terrible battery life.

Has the battery life gotten any better over time? I don't want to have to charge it during the day. I want it to last the whole day with moderate to heavy use. Is this realistic?
    Don't believe the hype. It always depends on the user of course. I think the battery is pretty darn good if you ask me. Last night (being one of those nights where i couldn't sleep), i grabbed my phone and started watching youtube videos and did some gaming. I did it basically non stop because i just couldn't sleep. About 6 hours in my battery had finally reached 14%, and in those 6 hours i accumulated roughly 4 hours of on screen time (took a break here and there to try to sleep). Decided to test the limits and not plug my phone into the charger while i slept till around noon (i slept around 4 so there was roughly a 8 hour break with my phone at 14%). Woke up to check the battery and i was at 12%. So roughly 14 hours of usage with the first 6 hours being heavily used and 8 hours standby time with a total of 4 hours on screen time and left with 12% battery life, seems pretty good to me. If your going moderate to heavy use i'm sure you could squeeze out 8 hours if you really needed to.

Battery life is by no means "terrible." Is it unbelievably great, like the Droid Maxx? Of course not. But with my moderate usage, I always get through the day with 40-50% of battery to spare. On light usage days, I have 70-80% of battery left. With my usage, I'm always on track for about 4 hours of screen-on time, which is pretty standard for non-monster-battery devices.

If you're thinking of getting a Nexus 5, one of the big questions you should consider is how's the cell signal where you live and work? If the signal is poor, then the phone will spend more time and power trying to get a good signal, which will drain the battery faster. This is particularly important when it comes to T-Mobile, which generally has worse signal if you're deep inside a building (and T-Mobile admittedly doesn't have as widespread coverage as AT&T).

Cell signal definitely makes a huge difference. I would suspect switching to 3G rather than LTE would make a difference as well though as I don't have one yet that's just conjecture.

Posted from my Nexus 7 2013 via Android Central App
    --------------------------------------
    Nexus 5
    Nexus 7 2013

Eh I had a gs4 and now have a nexus 5 and based off my same usage the gs4 kills the nexus 5 in the battery department and it's battery size difference is 300 mah....I went from 100% to about 50% on my nexus 5 in 3 hours which is pretty bad

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

All depends on you buddy. I get a days worth of decent usage, but that's my interpretation against how my wife and friends use their phones.

Now mind you, nexus devices are (IMHO) easily rooted, which then allows you to install battery saving roms (slimrom) , Kernels (franco) and apps (greenify). These can greatly extend battery life. I'm currently back to rooted stock using greenify, snapdragon battery guru, a good wifi signal at work, and get a full days worth of use (morning to bed; moderate use IMHO). For comparison sake, it's lasting much longer (under my usage patterns) than my 12 month old Galaxy s3 did.

Hope that helps.

Nexus 7 Grouper
    SlimROM

Quote Originally Posted by Closingracer View Post
    Eh I had a gs4 and now have a nexus 5 and based off my same usage the gs4 kills the nexus 5 in the battery department and it's battery size difference is 300 mah....I went from 100% to about 50% on my nexus 5 in 3 hours which is pretty bad

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I have had the exact *opposite* experience. I had a GPe edition of the S4 and my Nexus consistently delivered better battery life. And what's more there's no question in my mind the standby time is FAR better on the N5.

OP if you're an average to high-end average user (that is not a screen on all day type, lol), then don't even hesitate. The N5 will do you just fine. Set the screen at 25% brightness--which is plenty bright--and just live your life. You'll be fine :-)

Moto X/Nexus 5
    1+1/Nexus 5