Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default How do I sync emails sent from N5?

    In my "email" app (non-gmail pop acct), how can I auto sync or BC emails composed on the Nexus 5, so they are available in the web email acct elsewhere?

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
  2. #2  

    Default Re: How do I sync emails sent from N5?

    It has been a while since I had to deal with this. I use Gmail and find that I don't much worry about account settings anymore.

    My recollection is that one would set up an exchange account. I recall that configuring it for "IMAP" rather than "POP3" tended to result in better synchronization between phone and server. I always had to use a web search to find the proper IMAP settings for my EMail service. I suspect most services support both.
    Thanked by:
    akuki 
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: How do I sync emails sent from N5?

    Quote Originally Posted by oberkc View Post
    It has been a while since I had to deal with this. I use Gmail and find that I don't much worry about account settings anymore.

    My recollection is that one would set up an exchange account. I recall that configuring it for "IMAP" rather than "POP3" tended to result in better synchronization between phone and server. I always had to use a web search to find the proper IMAP settings for my EMail service. I suspect most services support both.
    My gmail acct works fine, but also need to use this web email as only a POP3. Unfortunately, with Nexus 5 I have to remember to manually BC myself each time I send - no automatic setting in the phone that I can find.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
  4. #4  
    ay
    ay is offline
    ay's Avatar

    Posts
    45 Posts
    Global Posts
    765 Global Posts

    Default Re: How do I sync emails sent from N5?

    Quote Originally Posted by akuki View Post
    My gmail acct works fine, but also need to use this web email as only a POP3. Unfortunately, with Nexus 5 I have to remember to manually BC myself each time I send - no automatic setting in the phone that I can find.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    If I'm understanding your question correctly, the prior reply about setting up the account using an imap server is correct (although there's nothing about exchange accounts to worry about if you're using the non-gmail e-mail app that comes stock on the phone). You should contact your e-mail provider to find out what the correct server settings are for using your e-mail address over imap. The advantage that imap has over pop3 is that the e-mail messages will sync in real time with your e-mail providers servers. In that way, messages read in your inbox on the phone show up read in a web browser on a computer, messages sent from your phone show up in the sent folder in a web browser on your computer, messages deleted from your phone show up in the trash in your web browser on the computer, etc. If you can advise who your e-mail service provider is, the settings you need are likely to be easily found via a Google search. Hopefully this reply helps to clarify. If you can post back who your e-mail provider is, I'll be glad to see if I can find the correct server settings for you.
    Thanked by:
    akuki 
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: How do I sync emails sent from N5?

    Quote Originally Posted by ay View Post
    If I'm understanding your question correctly, the prior reply about setting up the account using an imap server is correct (although there's nothing about exchange accounts to worry about if you're using the non-gmail e-mail app that comes stock on the phone). You should contact your e-mail provider to find out what the correct server settings are for using your e-mail address over imap. The advantage that imap has over pop3 is that the e-mail messages will sync in real time with your e-mail providers servers. In that way, messages read in your inbox on the phone show up read in a web browser on a computer, messages sent from your phone show up in the sent folder in a web browser on your computer, messages deleted from your phone show up in the trash in your web browser on the computer, etc. If you can advise who your e-mail service provider is, the settings you need are likely to be easily found via a Google search. Hopefully this reply helps to clarify. If you can post back who your e-mail provider is, I'll be glad to see if I can find the correct server settings for you.
    The POP3 email acct that uses the stock non-gmail app is not available as IMAP, unless I pay for a differnt plan (which I have no interest in doing at this time). If the phone doesn't have a setting to send copies of outgoing emails to the web acct, I'm out of luck. I'll just have to make a plan change, if I need copies in the web account.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: How do I sync emails sent from N5?

    I am not sure, even, that sending blind courtesy copies to yourself (same EMail account) will solve your problem. I assume that these copies would also be quickly downloaded by the phone and removed from the servers. I suppose you could test this by sending a message to yourself with the stock app. Does it show up on the server once your phone has it?

    Have you checked other mail apps? Perhaps they have the BC address field you are looking for.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: How do I sync emails sent from N5?

    Quote Originally Posted by oberkc View Post
    I am not sure, even, that sending blind courtesy copies to yourself (same EMail account) will solve your problem. I assume that these copies would also be quickly downloaded by the phone and removed from the servers. I suppose you could test this by sending a message to yourself with the stock app. Does it show up on the server once your phone has it?

    Have you checked other mail apps? Perhaps they have the BC address field you are looking for.
    I've been using the BC on the phone when I remember to do the extra steps. Msges show up in the email INBOX on the server, and stay there until I cut/paste (just slide) them into the SENT folder. But if I delete anything from the POP3 using the app, it also deletes off the server.

    I haven't tried other email apps. It would be good to find one that allows for a default filled-in Blind Copy.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: How do I sync emails sent from N5?

    K-9 Mail has an option for a default BCC.

    Although IMAP is so much better than POP3, that if you really can't use IMAP on that email account, then maybe you could forward that email address to an email account that does IMAP.

    Posted via Android Central App
  9. #9  

    Default Re: How do I sync emails sent from N5?

    POP3 was designed way back in the dark ages before cell phone was widely used. As such, it is woefully inadequate for smartphone usage. Not only it does not have any sync capability (you read everything from the mailbox and decide whether or not to leave them in the mail box. That's all POP3 allows you to do), it also can't push emails so your phone has to regularly query the mail server for new emails at a preset interval. This wastes a lot of data and battery juice.

    What I did for my ISP's pop3 account is simply setup a forward rule on its web mail page to forward everything to my other email accounts, like Hotmail or Gmail. And my phone only syncs with those mobile friendly account. Now my ISP has recently offered IMAP access for free but I see no reason to go back to that. My primary email address is always the Gmail or Hotmail account, not tied to any ISP.

Similar Threads

  1. From Nexus 4.4 back to 4.3
    By Manfred Vonn in forum Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2013)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-05-2014, 12:43 PM
  2. Heelllppp how do i post in marketplace
    By drewm1379 in forum AndroidCentral.com - Site News, Feedback and Help
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-13-2014, 09:30 AM
  3. Can't reply to emails using Moto X
    By MLRyan in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-12-2014, 09:26 PM
  4. Phone suddenly stopped charging? Please help 4th HTC doing this!
    By Joseph Carter1 in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-12-2014, 05:13 PM
  5. Photo sync with two G+ accounts on one phone?
    By Cigar-Junkie in forum Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-12-2014, 03:32 PM

Posting Permissions