1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Downsized Google+ photo posts on ART?

I'm not sure, but I may have stumbled upon a strange ART glitch. I've been trying to post some photos to G+ from my unrooted N5 running 4.4.2, on ART. I noticed that the posted pictures are severely downsized (from around 3000x2000 pixels down to 400x300). I've made sure that the G+ settings on the website are set to allow full sized photo uploads, and there is no similar setting on the app. I've tried clearing the app cache, clearing the data, and rebooting the phone.

This behavior also occurs on my 2013 Nexus 7 (also on ART), but NOT on my old Razr Maxx (running 4.1.2, Dalvik). This makes me wonder if this is some problem with ART, although it would seem odd to be glitchy with a native Google app.

Could anyone else compare their photo posts from devices running ART vs Dalvik? Let me know if you have the same issue. Thanks!

Posted via Android Central App--please excuse the brevity and any typos!

Default Re: Downsized Google+ photo posts on ART?

I just checked my photos on G+. They are all showing up at full size, and I have had ART enabled since the weekend I got the phone. Have you used up all of your storage? It will only allow full-size images if you have the space for it. Also, there is a setting in the app that lets you choose between full size and standard size. G+ settings>Auto Backup>Photo size. When you click on Photo size, it gives you the option.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    I'm not sure, but I may have stumbled upon a strange ART glitch. I've been trying to post some photos to G+ from my unrooted N5 running 4.4.2, on ART. I noticed that the posted pictures are severely downsized (from around 3000x2000 pixels down to 400x300). I've made sure that the G+ settings on the website are set to allow full sized photo uploads, and there is no similar setting on the app. I've tried clearing the app cache, clearing the data, and rebooting the phone.

This behavior also occurs on my 2013 Nexus 7 (also on ART), but NOT on my old Razr Maxx (running 4.1.2, Dalvik). This makes me wonder if this is some problem with ART, although it would seem odd to be glitchy with a native Google app.

Could anyone else compare their photo posts from devices running ART vs Dalvik? Let me know if you have the same issue. Thanks!

Posted via Android Central App--please excuse the brevity and any typos!
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks, but I definitely have plenty of Drive/Photo storage space available. I also never have Auto Backup on, but I did try turning it on (the Photo Size is set by default to Full), and it didn't help.

Not sure why it isn't working for you. Sorry I couldn't be more help.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

It's very odd. When I tried again with my 2013 N7, it does upload in full rez. But my N5 is still uploading in low rez. So it's clearly not an ART issue.

I guess I'll take my own advice and try a cache partition wipe.

Let me know if that works.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Cache partition wipe didn't help ...

Hmm...and you are taking the photos at full resolution? I know it's a obvious thing, but sometimes we forget the obvious.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Yes, the photos were taken at full resolution.

To add further weirdness, I just tried uploading a different photo, which did upload at a better resolution, but still not full. Here are the stats:

First photo
    2368x3200, 2.0 MB-->after upload, 296x400, 29 KB

Second photo
    3264x2448, 1.9 MB-->after upload, 2048x1536, 579 KB

I haven't tried re-downloading the photos from Google+ to see if they download in full rez, but what's more important to me is having the photos in full rez (or at least at a decent rez) on G+. What's the point of trying to show off your photos on a social network if they appear blocky? This ain't Minecraft ...

Maybe I'll start a support chat with Google.