I'm new to Android and my Google Nexus 5, need your help please!

Carlm

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and just wanted to say hi! I've been an iPhone user for many many years and recently I got very bored and fancied a change. The Google Nexus 5 had a lot of features for the money and I'm very happy with it.

I was very particular with the way I set up my iPhone, very minimalistic! I don't like bloatware and I like to keep things simple. Especially when it comes to reducing things like notifications and other non-useful stuff which drains the battery and clutters the screen. I need some advice if you don't mind!

What are the must have apps on Android?
How can I set the phone up to save battery life?
Is there any bloatware I can remove by re-installing the OS? If so how do I do this?
How easy is it to heavily customise an Android phone?
What's the best (cheapest) wireless charger available?
Is it easy to root the phone? Have no idea of it's benefits.

I'm sure there's lots I need to learn about Android so any other tips are welcome, looking forward to your replies! :)

Last edited:

Carlm

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Yep, then there would be no point of having forums if someone didn't post the same questions every now and then. Especially when there's quite a few questions I'm asking. Thanks for your input though.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Yep, then there would be no point of having forums if someone didn't post the same questions every now and then. Especially when there's quite a few questions I'm asking. Thanks for your input though.
Actually, the point of forums is to make questions/answers available, so that folks can search - that's why PMs are discouraged, because those are not searchable. If the search doesn't yield results, absolutely - post the question! :)

Regardless, welcome to the Android world. I'll try to answer some of your questions

What are the must have apps on Android? - That will depend on what you use. For me, in addition to the standard google apps, I install a file explorer (ES Explorer/Root Explorer), photo editor apps (snapseed/Paper Camera/Photoshop touch/Handyphoto), Shazam/Soundhound, Netflix, Skype/GrooveIP, storage services (copy/box/dropbox/skydrive), Games, Tasker etc... and several root apps... everybody will have different needs

How can I set the phone up to save battery life? - set location services to battery saving (and enable high-accuracy GPS only when using nav), reduce brightness of screen, and use WiFi whenever possible

Is there any bloatware I can remove by re-installing the OS? If so how do I do this? This is a Nexus device, so no bloat at all.

How easy is it to heavily customise an Android phone? - VERY. Launchers and widgets and XPosed (see below) make customization pretty easy!

What's the best (cheapest) wireless charger available? Nokia DT900 occasionally is available with good discounts. I got mine at $12.50 (rare deal), but it is often available at under $25

Is it easy to root the phone? Have no idea of it's benefits. - yes - this is probably the easiest to root. But be aware that to root, you have to unlock the bootloader, which WILL wipe your phone back to factory settings - no way around it. Benefits: You can install adaway (to eliminate most ads from apps and websites). You can also use root apps like titanium backup (lets you backup apps/app-data for any app etc) - but I've heard that Helium can do that for non-rooted devices too. You can also install XPosed framework that allows you to make a whole lot of changes without changing your stock ROM - I use Gravitybox and XPrivacy modules on this framework

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and just wanted to say hi! I've been an iPhone user for many many years and recently I got very bored and fancied a change. The Google Nexus 5 had a lot of features for the money and I'm very happy with it.

I was very particular with the way I set up my iPhone, very minimalistic! I don't like bloatware and I like to keep things simple. Especially when it comes to reducing things like notifications and other non-useful stuff which drains the battery and clutters the screen. I need some advice if you don't mind!

Is there any bloatware I can remove by re-installing the OS? If so how do I do this?

I'm sure there's lots I need to learn about Android so any other tips are welcome, looking forward to your replies! :)

Hope this helps - http://forums.androidcentral.com/general-help-how/31622-getting-started-android-tips-tricks.html

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I'll second the Nokia DT900 suggestion. I bought a cheap Qi charger first but it was flaky. The Nokia DT900 has been solid with my phone and Nexus 7 HD. Lesson learned.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Must have App "Textra" then set it as setting>more...>default SMS app. (Hangout just blows)

At least on my phone the best thing I did to improve my battery life was switch from Dalvik to ART. ART reduces the amount of work your CPU does every time you open a App that extends your battery by using less CPU. Google's developers have been working for over 2 years on ART, a replacement for Dalvik that promises faster and more efficient execution, better battery life, and a more fluid experience. You can reverse the step and go back to Dalvik is you have issues with ART. I been running ART for a long time and have found no issues but some Apps at least in the past did have problems with ART that most were fixed by the App developer.

vividrich

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
The cool thing about Android for me is if there's an aspect of the device software you don't like (like the email app, keyboard, most anything) replacements are readily available. Without rooting.

Posted from my Nexus 7 2013 via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm new to the forum and just wanted to say hi!

Welcome to Android Central! Might I suggest these two guides:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...uide-getting-started-android-2014-part-i.html
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...ide-getting-started-android-2014-part-ii.html

This is almost impossible to answer, because there are so many excellent apps out there for so many different uses. It would help if you gave us more detail on what kinds of apps you're looking for.

Here's another guide: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...how-tos/298919-guide-battery-saving-tips.html

As mentioned above, Nexus devices have very little (if any) bloatware. There are apps that you might not ever use on the Nexus 5, and these can be easily disabled (you can't uninstall pre-installed apps unless you root your phone). To disable an app, go to Settings>Apps>All, select the app, and tap Disable. You might have to Uninstall Updates first before the Disable button appears. Disabling an app prevents it from opening (thus clearing up system RAM for other open processes), but does not remove it from storage. This is what I've disabled on my N5:
Email
Exchange Services (I only use Gmail)
Face Unlock
Google Hindi Input
Google Korean Keyboard
Google Pinyin
HP Print Service Plugin
News & Weather
Sun Beam
TalkBack

Very easy. There are tons of apps out there. You can start with an alternative launcher like Nova Launcher (which is close to stock Android, with nice little tweaks) and Action Launcher (a bit more of a radical redesign)--these apps replace the stock launcher, which is the homescreen interface. There are numerous apps that can change the lockscreen appearance (some that can make it look more iOS-ey) as well--DashClock is one of the most popular.

You can get a number of wireless chargers for $20-25, from brands like Incipio, VAAS, and Zens (which I have). They should all function about the same.

I'm not a rooting expert, but it should be easy to do on any Nexus device. It essentially gives you superuser privileges, allowing you to control more aspects of the device, completely remove system apps, and flash a custom ROM, among other things. I wouldn't recommend it for novices, since one wrong step could irreversibly brick your device. But if you're interested, here's the AC subforum for it: Nexus 5 Rooting, ROMs, & Hacks - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Have fun!

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
all of your questions can be easily answered with the search function.

Posts like these are not helpful. If you are not inclined to answer a new member's questions, then simply move on. And no, posting a link to "Let Me Google That For You" is not an appropriate response.

I suggest that you take the time to review the Android Central Forum rules, especially the portions that are quoted below:

Mobile Nations communities should always be fun, friendly and helpful places to be. We want to provide answers to all member posts and questions as QUICKLY as possible. With that in mind, we ask that all members kindly follow these basic guidelines:

P.U.P.P.A.H
(Be Polite, Understanding, Patient, Professional, Attentive and Helpful)

• Be polite. We ask that you keep your language clean and polite.
  • Be understanding and patient. You may be a power user or developer, but the person you?re talking to on the other end may be a complete newbie. Be patient, and provide all details possible if you?re posting about a problem (descriptive thread title always helps).
  • Be a pro. Don?t get into arguments over dumb things. If someone responds in a poor or rude fashion, ignore it. If you notice a pattern of rude or poor behavior from a particular member, report them to our moderators. If you don?t have anything nice to say, don?t say anything at all. In a nutshell, ?think before you post?.
  • Be attentive and helpful. Answer questions in a timely manner when you can, and provide thoughts and suggestions that might lead to the solution of a members? problem.

Telling someone to "Search" - Do not reply to a question by telling someone to do a search. Kindly suggest a search link, answer their question, or feel free not to respond.

Pro Vickers

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Posts like these are not helpful. If you are not inclined to answer a new member's questions, then simply move on. And no, posting a link to "Let Me Google That For You" is not an appropriate response.

I suggest that you take the time to review the Android Central Forum rules, especially the portions that are quoted below:

Mobile Nations communities should always be fun, friendly and helpful places to be. We want to provide answers to all member posts and questions as QUICKLY as possible. With that in mind, we ask that all members kindly follow these basic guidelines:

P.U.P.P.A.H

• Be understanding and patient. You may be a power user or developer, but the person you?re talking to on the other end may be a complete newbie. Be patient, and provide all details possible if you?re posting about a problem (descriptive thread title always helps).
  • Be a pro. Don?t get into arguments over dumb things. If someone responds in a poor or rude fashion, ignore it. If you notice a pattern of rude or poor behavior from a particular member, report them to our moderators. If you don?t have anything nice to say, don?t say anything at all. In a nutshell, ?think before you post?.
  • Be attentive and helpful. Answer questions in a timely manner when you can, and provide thoughts and suggestions that might lead to the solution of a members? problem.

Telling someone to "Search" - Do not reply to a question by telling someone to do a search. Kindly suggest a search link, answer their question, or feel free not to respond.

Thank you for this, completely true

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Do you have a link to that?

I would also would like the link if possible?
Thanks
Because it violates google's policy about ads, it is not available on the play store. You will need to sideload from https://f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdid=org.adaway

Just remember - you need to be rooted to use this. Also, if you visit sites like fatwallet or slickdeals etc that use their own redirect links for revenue, adaway will block most of those redirects. You will need to create a whitelist for their redirect links (see http://slickdeals.net/f/6465800-list-of-hosts-to-add-to-adaway-adblock-white-list)

Pro Vickers

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Because it violates google's policy about ads, it is not available on the play store. You will need to sideload from https://f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdid=org.adaway

Just remember - you need to be rooted to use this. Also, if you visit sites like fatwallet or slickdeals etc that use their own redirect links for revenue, adaway will block most of those redirects. You will need to create a whitelist for their redirect links (see http://slickdeals.net/f/6465800-list-of-hosts-to-add-to-adaway-adblock-white-list)

Awesome, thanks! Got it working now:)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site

P.U.P.P.A.H

• Be understanding and patient. You may be a power user or developer, but the person you’re talking to on the other end may be a complete newbie. Be patient, and provide all details possible if you’re posting about a problem (descriptive thread title always helps).
  • Be a pro. Don’t get into arguments over dumb things. If someone responds in a poor or rude fashion, ignore it. If you notice a pattern of rude or poor behavior from a particular member, report them to our moderators. If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all. In a nutshell, ‘think before you post’.
  • Be attentive and helpful. Answer questions in a timely manner when you can, and provide thoughts and suggestions that might lead to the solution of a members’ problem.

no. i refuse to enable lazy people that want to sit back and have everything spoon-fed to them. i've helped people more than anybody here - but people need to first use the search button rather than list out a litany of questions without even trying to search - that's why it's there. and this was an extremely egregious case of that.

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Keep the discussion on-topic.

If it bothers you so much, the solution is simple: just move on and don't post in the thread. If you believe you have a "right" to continue telling members who are simply seeking help to go search, you are mistaken.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
People of all ranges of experience come to this forum--this community--for help and to help. I like to help people. Anyone who isn't interested in helping a beginner should simply stay out of the conversation--it's really that easy.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hello all,

Welcome to the forums, and Android! I think B. Diddy answered your questions. I will elaborate on a couple:
Rooting....I would highly recommend getting used to your new phone first. Get to know its ins and outs, forward and backward. And to do this is to spend joyous amounts of time just playing with it. By all means, do not take what I said as don't root, but you don't go tearing apart engines without knowing something about them. Ask questions... We will answer. Read everything you can about it. Several times. Know how to root, unroot, and common fixes. It is much better to come to the forums calm and collected as opposed to in a frantic rush because something isn't right.

Apps: tell us what you are looking for. Games, note taking apps, etc... Let us tell you what we like and let us know how you like them.

Glad to have you here. Did you post an intro thread yet?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34