1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted

Default Will the nexus 5 get ota updates if my carrier is sprint

After debating whether or not to get the moto x or the nexus 5, I finally decided on the nexus 5. But I have one question: if I do get the nexus 5 activated on sprint, will I still be able to get ota updates from Google?
    Did I help you at all? Return the favor by giving me a "thanks"
    LG Rumor -> LG Rumor Touch -> LG Optimus S (Cyanogenmod 7.2 on 2.3.5) -> Samsung Galaxy S3 (MK3 Barebones on 4.3) -> LG Nexus 5 (Carbon Nightlies on 4.4.2)

Global Posts
    13,824 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Default Re: Will the nexus 5 get ota updates if my carrier is sprint

Yup. When I got my N5 on Sprint, it got the 4.4.2 update right away.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly_Poison630 View Post
    After debating whether or not to get the moto x or the nexus 5, I finally decided on the nexus 5. But I have one question: if I do get the nexus 5 activated on sprint, will I still be able to get ota updates from Google?
    Yep! Plus you can buy from the Google play store directly, and not go through sprint! If you want the 32gb model that's the only way, sprint only sells the 16gb. Make sure if you get a 32gb to go to a corporate/repair store to activate it. It has something to do with the imei having to be manually added into their system.

Posted via NSA Spy Van 37...... Free candy??

Yes I got my 32 GB from the play store. You're going to have to go to the store like the poster above me said. This is the first phone I've ever had to use a Sim card with.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted

Thanks everyone. I've been reading about all the problems people have been having with activating it. So i just walk in any store (or does it have to be a repair store) with the phone and the box, they'll activate it, then i walk right out? Or am i missing some steps?
    LG Rumor -> LG Rumor Touch -> LG Optimus S (Cyanogenmod 7.2 on 2.3.5) -> Samsung Galaxy S3 (MK3 Barebones on 4.3) -> LG Nexus 5 (Carbon Nightlies on 4.4.2)

Yes take it to a repair store because they are the one that have extra Sim cards. They should activate it for you but it might take like 30 minutes.

Be aware the SIM cards they use to activate your phone are only for that phone, so stores tend to run out. I'd suggest calling around first.

Global Posts
    549 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Bront View Post
    Be aware the SIM cards they use to activate your phone are only for that phone, so stores tend to run out. I'd suggest calling around first.
    Actually, no - you can use a SIM card from the Galaxy S4 or the HTC one - they are all the same. Some stores do not admit that, but because my SIM card was delayed, I used the one from my S4 and it worked just fine (including LTE data). But you are right about stores running out of the compatible SIMs
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted

Using the store locator I found this store that does repairs. I should just give them a call and see if they have any in store?
    Will the nexus 5 get ota updates if my carrier is sprint-screenshot_2014-02-16-07-00-38.png

Quote Originally Posted by jj14x View Post
    Actually, no - you can use a SIM card from the Galaxy S4 or the HTC one - they are all the same. Some stores do not admit that, but because my SIM card was delayed, I used the one from my S4 and it worked just fine (including LTE data). But you are right about stores running out of the compatible SIMs
    Ahh, was not aware those were universal phones as well (Or are they?)

Usually CDMA phones don't use SIMS.

And yes Deadly, give them a ring.

Global Posts
    549 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Bront View Post
    Ahh, was not aware those were universal phones as well (Or are they?)
    Usually CDMA phones don't use SIMS.
    All of the current LTE phones on Sprint use a SIM card for LTE (data) connectivity . The Nexus 5 is a universal phone too - will work on any GSM carrier, and on Sprint (Verizon isn't supported)

You should get any OTA update regardless of carrier. You can have an inactivated N5 or one without a sim, and you should still get the OTA if connected to WiFi.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted

Thanks everyone! Since the store said they have plenty of sim cards in store and my nexus 5 is being shipped either today or tomorrow, all I can do is wait. Looking forward to it!

I'm not asking this to be sarcastic or rude, but I see tons of posts where people aren't certain they'll get updated. Can anyone tell me why so many feel there's a chance they wont get updates? This is confusing to me.
    Droid Bionic>Droid Razr Maxx>Verizon Galaxy S3>T-Mobile Galaxy S3, Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

Global Posts
    549 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by LegalAmerican View Post
    I'm not asking this to be sarcastic or rude, but I see tons of posts where people aren't certain they'll get updated. Can anyone tell me why so many feel there's a chance they wont get updates? This is confusing to me.
    Before the Nexus 5, Sprint had the Galaxy Nexus available. While it was branded as a "Nexus" device, updates were ALWAYS delayed (unlike a true Nexus device). Some updates were even skipped. So, that's why folks are finding it hard to believe that the Nexus 5 is a TRUE Nexus device.
    Thanked by: