Bad LTE speeds compared to iPhone 5c and gs4 ( using the same sim for the nexus 5 )

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
On my mothers iPhone 5c she is getting around 20 down and 7 up as with my gs4 .....my nexus 5 on the other hand is only getting around 4 down and 1 up. Why ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
First, go to Settings>Wireless & Networks-More>Mobile Networks>Preferred Network Type, and make sure LTE is selected.

If that doesn't help, then check out this thread on AT&T's support forum: Nexus 5 on Att - AT&T Community Support. The main answer is as follows:

"There are two different versions of the Nexus 5. If you are buying directly from the US Google Play Store or was bought from a carrier such as T-Mobile in the US, the device is SIM unlocked and will work with no configuration. You will need to visit or call AT&T to have your IMEI updated to ensure the proper data plan will work with the Nexus. The second version is the International Edition (Rest of the World), this version does not support all of AT&T's LTE Bands, it does however support all of AT&T's HSPA+ bands."

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Bad LTE speeds compared to iPhone 5c and gs4 ( using the same sim for the nex...

Ok guess I'll add that to my laundry list of items to do at the AT&T store tomorrow lol ...got to get a nano sim for my mothers iPhone 5c and also I wonder while off topic can you use a go phone on a post paid plan ? Bought a cheap flip phone to be used on a number that only wants it to talk with....it says sim not accepted

I bought it off the google play store and I already know I have an android 4g LTE plan since I started it with my gs2 skyrocket and then the s3 and s4

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Ok guess I'll add that to my laundry list of items to do at the AT&T store tomorrow lol ...got to get a nano sim for my mothers iPhone 5c and also I wonder while off topic can you use a go phone on a post paid plan ? Bought a cheap flip phone to be used on a number that only wants it to talk with....it says sim not accepted

I bought it off the google play store and I already know I have an android 4g LTE plan since I started it with my gs2 skyrocket and then the s3 and s4

You should be able to use the go phone, I do it all the time. I have a couple of extra lines where all we need are flip phones, so I use the upgrade on those line to get a new smartphone and just get a cheap go phone for those lines.

palandri

Apr 30, 2009
Visit site
Re: Bad LTE speeds compared to iPhone 5c and gs4 ( using the same sim for the nex...

....I bought it off the google play store and I already know I have an android 4g LTE plan since I started it with my gs2 skyrocket and then the s3 and s4

That's odd, let us know what happens.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Re: Bad LTE speeds compared to iPhone 5c and gs4 ( using the same sim for the nex...

I am still pulling down about 4-6 MBPS down and about 1 up and even sometimes it pulls in HSPA instead of LTE

Alex Karim

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
I entered this forum simply to see if others could relate to my problem. Came from a 4s to nexus 5 and am getting poor service, much worse than my 4s. I'm on att and I have a factory unlocked nexus

Posted via Android Central App

JConn_Lefty

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
i have the exact opposite experience with my nexus 5.

my previous phone, lumia 920 used to get 2-3 bars in my house and depending on where you are, it can go to 0-1 as well. with my lumia 920, i couldn't even watch a short 3 minute youtube video without it buffering 10 times. with the nexus 5, i still get 2-3 bars at best, but those 2-3 bars are enough for me to watch a full 2 hour movie and it never buffs! i also average around 7mbps download compared to what i used to get with my lumia which was around 2 mbps at best. this is on att btw.

something i noticed with att signal strength. i have the att mobile hotspot as well and the funny thing is, when i have my nexus 5 and the mobile hotspot side-by-side, the hotspot always gets at least 1 bar more than the nexus 5. when i called and asked about the discrepancies between the two, the cust serv advisor had no clue (surprise).

Last edited:

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
I entered this forum simply to see if others could relate to my problem. Came from a 4s to nexus 5 and am getting poor service, much worse than my 4s. I'm on att and I have a factory unlocked nexus

Posted via Android Central App
It's possible you have to screw around with APN settings. The big carriers (AT&T and Verizon) aren't too fond of phones that are not locked to their network.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2