Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By David Lessnau
  • 2 Post By Zendroid1
  • 1 Post By chenks
  • 1 Post By jj14x
  • 1 Post By xstinkyx
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 5: HDR+ - when to use?

just got my nexus 5 at the weekend (previously had a nexus 4).
    is the general consensus to have the HDR+ option turned on all the time?
    or just when you think it might be appropriate?
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 02-21-2014 at 06:04 PM.

Default Re: HDR+ - when to use?

I keep HDR+ on all the time. The only thing I've had trouble with is taking pictures of my cat. I think she watches the tendons in my fingers, listens for their creaking, and then moves just as the camera fires. IOW, moving objects can be problems with HDR+ on.
    UJ95x likes this.

Very easy answer:

If it moves, don't use HDR+
    Thanked by 3:
    Shilohcane and UJ95x like this.

I leave mine on HDR all the time. It actually does a pretty good job even when there is some movement. If you're trying to capture something like kids at play or your dog chasing a Frisbee, then switch to Scene, Action.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/

I keep it on all the time. Just know that the shutter speed on it is slower, since it's really taking three pictures and combining them together. That's why it won't always get the best moving shots. I've still been able to get some with movement (of my 3 yo niece) but it's harder to get the exact moment you want.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

it's a shame the HDR mode isn't implemented like iOS, where it gives you 2 images, one HDR and one non-HDR.
    means you can leave it on and pick the best out of the two if the HDR version isn't better.
    euanpne likes this.

Global Posts
    549 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by chenks View Post
    it's a shame the HDR mode isn't implemented like iOS, where it gives you 2 images, one HDR and one non-HDR.
    means you can leave it on and pick the best out of the two if the HDR version isn't better.
    IOS actually takes one picture, and then, using software, over/under exposes it and then, merges them to get HDR result. The N5 on the other hand is actually taking 3 separate pictures (one at normal exposure, one over and on under exposed. These are then merged to get the result.

On IOS, when you are picking the "best", you are actually picking which exposure setting you prefer - rather than a distinct picture. You could just take your non-HDR picture on the N5, and over/under expose it to get the same result. But you can't get the N5's HDR+ on IOS.
    Thanked by 2:
    Rutvij Kulkarni likes this.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by jj14x View Post
    IOS actually takes one picture, and then, using software, over/under exposes it and then, merges them to get HDR result. The N5 on the other hand is actually taking 3 separate pictures (one at normal exposure, one over and on under exposed. These are then merged to get the result.

On IOS, when you are picking the "best", you are actually picking which exposure setting you prefer - rather than a distinct picture. You could just take your non-HDR picture on the N5, and over/under expose it to get the same result. But you can't get the N5's HDR+ on IOS.
    the point i was making was that in iOS it gives you both versions by default (HDR and non-HDR) when using HDR mode, where as in Android you would have to manually take 2 photos.

the point i was making was that in iOS it gives you both versions by default (HDR and non-HDR) when using HDR mode, where as in Android you would have to manually take 2 photos.
    No, you wouldn't. You would just have to modify (or not) the original photo to try and make it look better, the same way iOS does. Granted, at least iOS does this for you.

I suppose it would be nice having the option to choose if you want to keep one of the 3 shots used in the HDR+ picture. HDR+ works so well though that I at least wouldn't get much use from this, as I'm in HDR+ mode intentionally to begin with. After all, if I wanted something else, I'd be using it instead.

Quote Originally Posted by jj14x View Post

This would help explain why my Nexus 5 in HDR+ is so much better than the iPhone 5s images other family members are getting. I leave my Nexus 5 in HDR+ all the time. The iPhone isn't actually doing true HDR at all.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Yeah same here, I tried it with HDR of but the picture quality wasn't anywhere near as good as when the HDR was on

I leave my N5 on HDR+ mode pretty much all the time. Fast movement in low light, or very fast movement any time and I'll switch to auto, but for moderate movement it often does a surprisingly great job.

the only caveat is when you ask someone else to take a picture with your phone. they may not be used to the hdr+ "shutter speed" and end up getting a lot of blurred pictures...

i'm finding that the normal mode works fine most of the time for general pictures.
    mobile:: Nexus 5 Black 16GB (4.4.2), LG G2 Black 32GB (RIP), iPhone 3GS White 16GB (retired) tablet: Samsung Galaxy 10.1 Tab 32GB (ICS)

I know this will sound ridiculous and people may assume that I am just incorrect with my settings, but i've been getting more consistent results with HDR+ on when taking shots of my 2 year old moving all over. They're always blurry on auto but with HDR they actually seem to be pretty impressive.
    Droid Bionic>Droid Razr Maxx>Verizon Galaxy S3>T-Mobile Galaxy S3, Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

Global Posts
    107 Global Posts

i love the HDR+ for landscapes, but people look underexposed IMO

Quote Originally Posted by greydarrah View Post
    I leave mine on HDR all the time. It actually does a pretty good job even when there is some movement. If you're trying to capture something like kids at play or your dog chasing a Frisbee, then switch to Scene, Action.
    Are we all just gonna ignore that he takes pictures of kids at play? Lol

I'm kidding

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

just got my nexus 5 at the weekend (previously had a nexus 4).
    is the general consensus to have the HDR+ option turned on all the time?
    or just when you think it might be appropriate?
    It is appropriate unless you are taking pictures of stuff that is moving or changing quickly. So Sunsets/scenery, posed photos, still life, ect...HDR should be on. Anything that involves stuff moving will risk blurring with HDR.

I have not noticed a huge difference on my Nexus 4. HDR really benefits from the OIS camera on the Nexus 5. Without OIS I don't know that it will make much of a difference.

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by krifor03 View Post
    i love the HDR+ for landscapes, but people look underexposed IMO
    I have had great results with people...as long as they are posing or standing still.

Took this on a cruise a few weeks ago:

This is a raw image...nothing photoshopped yet.

Global Posts
    107 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post
    I have had great results with people...as long as they are posing or standing still....
    try it with two people of opposite skin tones...
    The HDR+ on this phone is good, and faster than me having to do it the old fashion way ( which its still easier than the TRUE old fashion way), but not perfect

In certain photos containing lots of blacks and whites, I disable HDR+ otherwise the deep blacks become a noticeably lighter black
    krifor03 likes this.

Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    ROM
    Bugless Beast JB

Default Re: Nexus 5: HDR+ - when to use?

I've had amazing results with HDR+ , especially in low light in restaurants. While everyone else is using flash, mine look natural like it was actually better lit.

Posted via my Nexus 5 in the Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by KidCuda View Post
    I've had amazing results with HDR+ , especially in low light in restaurants. While everyone else is using flash, mine look natural like it was actually better lit.
    I agree. I had a group together in a bar/restaurants and the lights were turned down. Everyone was taking pictures with their phones and when I took a picture everyone told me your flash didn't go off. Then I said don't need it my phone has HDR+. Everyone liked my pictures so much better than theirs they had me text my Nexus 5 picture to all of them. I had people with Apple phones asking me where do I get a Nexus 5 phone.

I always leave HDR+ on. My last phone was an iPhone 4s. I find that the nexus 5 isn't as consistent and the camera software isn't as easy to use. However, the overall picture quality on the nexus is much better than my iPhone was. I think its just a matter of getting used to it. HDR+ on the nexus makes a huge difference compared to the HDR on my iPhone that seemed to do nothing at times.

Posted via Android Central App

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by ianhanson85 View Post
    I always leave HDR+ on. My last phone was an iPhone 4s. I find that the nexus 5 isn't as consistent and the camera software isn't as easy to use. However, the overall picture quality on the nexus is much better than my iPhone was. I think its just a matter of getting used to it. HDR+ on the nexus makes a huge difference compared to the HDR on my iPhone that seemed to do nothing at times.
    It's not just the iPhone...I have found HDR was pretty much useless on my HTC Rezound and Nexus 4 as well. I think OIS is a requirement for it to work.
    Thanked by: