Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By B. Diddy
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Wi-fi and phone idle sucking up 50% of battery overnight

This seems to be an intermittent problem but I have a problem with the phone battery charge going from approx 100% to 50% just sitting overnight connected to my local wi-fi network, synching turned off, bluetooth off, location battery saving mode, mobile data turned off. Other times I have had the same situation and the phone goes from approx 100% to 94% which is acceptable. I have added no additional apps during this time period. See screenshot below taken this morning. Has anyone else had similar problems?

Thanks!

Wi-fi and phone idle sucking up 50% of battery overnight-oznd.jpg

Default Re: Wi-fi and phone idle sucking up 50% of battery overnight

Tap Cell Standby, and see how much Time Without Signal is reported, if any. Poor cell signal can drain your battery.

Posted via Android Central App
    JeffDenver likes this.

Global Posts
    549 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

The WiFi consuming so much battery on idle is very unusual. Maybe the router was experiencing issues?
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

thank you! i'll check that number next time
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by jj14x View Post
    The WiFi consuming so much battery on idle is very unusual. Maybe the router was experiencing issues?
    not that i know of. It is set to "n-only" mode if that affects power consumption.

Global Posts
    549 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I've gotten into the habit of rebooting my phone right after I charge it every night. Since I started doing this, I've never had any of these type of issues with sudden unexpected battery drain. While this is not the ideal resolution to the issue, and should not be needed if things were working properly, it does work.

To debug your issue, you may want to run better battery stats (or GSAM monitor from what I hear) to see if there are too many wakelocks, and if so, what is causing those.

To debug your issue, you may want to run better battery stats (or GSAM monitor from what I hear) to see if there are too many wakelocks, and if so, what is causing those.
    Unfortunately, on KitKat, those apps no longer report wakelocks, and the battery stat breakdown isn't as detailed as it was with Jellybean. I think it has to do with limitations brought on by KitKat.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

yeah I heard about the battery apps "breaking" with kitkat (unless rooted)

Am going to start monitoring battery drain with various phone options and with a restart beforehand.

How is the wifi signal? If it's weak that can drain it.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

you might want to check the most recent apps you downloaded. i had the same issue and i figured out it was a stupid app i downloaded called mogl that drained my battery. mogl took my battery from 100% to 39% in less than 4 hrs. normally, i have around 70% battery by the time i get to work and by the time i'm done and arrive at my house, it sits at around 30%.

now that mogl is deleted, my battery is back to normal.

if you figure out which app drained your battery, let us know here:
    battery draining apps
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

thanks, if anything lately i've been removing apps and not adding any new ones, the only downloads have been for app updates. I wish the battery stats apps worked properly on an unrooted phone.

Global Posts
    549 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Unfortunately, on KitKat, those apps no longer report wakelocks, and the battery stat breakdown isn't as detailed as it was with Jellybean. I think it has to do with limitations brought on by KitKat.
    Hmm - I guess it works for me because I'm rooted.

Hmm - I guess it works for me because I'm rooted.
    Yes, you're correct. I forgot to mention that those apps will show more details if you're rooted.

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by paulgj View Post
    thanks, if anything lately i've been removing apps and not adding any new ones, the only downloads have been for app updates. I wish the battery stats apps worked properly on an unrooted phone.
    SAME! Tough to get to the bottom of these types of problems otherwise. Will probably end up getting a RMA because of this (as opposed to simply troubleshooting myself). I have had similar problems to you with overnight drain and have found nothing close to a concrete solution. Like others have said, a daily reboot seems to help (as does shutting off Wi-Fi before going to bed) but the problem still appears here and there. For me, it is always based around Android System, Android OS, and icecreamsandwich:somethingorother consumption. Incredibly frustrating. I have no problem with losing 5% of my battery at night while I'm sleeping but 20-50% is ridiculous.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

So last night charged up phone, turned it off and on again and left it overnight as per usual, this time charge went from 91% to 86% over approx 8 hrs. Back to what I would have expected. Am keeping a log of the different settings and discharge rates so will be interesting.

That's odd. And frustrating! I usually charge my N5 nightly but occasionally it needs charging early evening so I leave off charge on 100% when I go to bed. 7hrs later it has usually dropped by about 5-7%. I should mention mine is rooted but I'm not sure whether that would make a difference?

I know in the past with all my other Android devices, when the phone has performed an OS update, sometimes my battery performance would drop, and a Factory Reset would solve it. But there's not been any 4.4 updates for a while has there. Keep us updated! Would be interesting to see how each night varies.

Via Android Central App from my Nexus 5

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBroccoli View Post
    SAME! Tough to get to the bottom of these types of problems otherwise. Will probably end up getting a RMA because of this (as opposed to simply troubleshooting myself). I have had similar problems to you with overnight drain and have found nothing close to a concrete solution. Like others have said, a daily reboot seems to help (as does shutting off Wi-Fi before going to bed) but the problem still appears here and there. For me, it is always based around Android System, Android OS, and icecreamsandwich:somethingorother consumption. Incredibly frustrating. I have no problem with losing 5% of my battery at night while I'm sleeping but 20-50% is ridiculous.
    I had the same problem and wound up RMAing it. Whereas my orig N5 was consistently losing 40% overnight, my replacement seems to be good most of the time, but I've still lost some 30-40% a couple of times. See my post in the other thread:
    Nexus 5 Battery Drain >20% Overnight

I'm not sure it's a hardware issue. But then if it's not hardware, then why does this happen to a relatively small number of people?

I have experienced the same problem at my gf's house. I actually have stronger cell signal at her house than mine, so I'm thinking the problem lies with the router. Shutting off wifi while I'm there solves any overnight drain issues for me. She has an old netgear router with no N support. At home I have a dd-wrt hacked netgear with N support and that never gives me problems in regards to idle drain overnight. This could be a good excuse for the op to spend some money on a brand spanking new 802.11AC router!