Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By B. Diddy
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Syncing calendars to Windows 8

Howdy!

I just recently purchased a Nexus 5. I was a Windows Phone 8 user so this is a big change for me since this is my first ever Android device. With my Windows Phone, one thing I used to use a lot was the calendars. Whatever I would put in my phone would go onto my Calendars app in my Windows 8 laptop and reversal. It'll popup and give me notifications. With Android, I have noticed I can't do that. I am now using Google Calendars. What is a solution I can use so that whatever reminder I put in my calendars in my Nexus goes directly to my computer and I get notifications automatically?

Thank you,

Global Posts
    2,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodefireX One XL 4.4.2

Default Re: Syncing calendars to Windows 8

This could be of use:

Sent from my AT&T One X running CodefireX ROM Android Version 4.4.
    It is our choices, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. - J. K Rowling

"If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of." - Bruce Lee

"The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye." - Jimi Hendrix
    Thanked by:

Welcome to Android Central! I use , which is a desktop Chrome extension. It gives you quick access to your Google Calendars using a little button in the nav bar, and there are also options for popup notifications as long as you have Chrome open on your desktop/laptop.

So if you enter an event into your Calendar app on your phone, it should sync automatically to your Google Calendar on your desktop/laptop Chrome, and Checker Plus would then show a popup notification depending on that event's alarm setting.
    Thanked by:
    Santiago Pedraza likes this.

Add your Microsoft account to your Nexus, and enable calendar sync. You can also disable calendar sync for your Google account, or select your Microsoft calendar when adding calendar events on your phone.

Or, keep using Google calendar on your Nexus, and on your laptop, just open up Google calendar in a browser. Of course, you lose the desktop notifications this way.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    549 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Google used to have a Calendar Sync application, but they have stopped supporting it for the free google accounts (on the paid google apps accounts, they have contacts and calendar sync available to sync outlook and gmail contacts/calendar)

While Google doesn't support/provide this application, you can find it by searching the web. I use it on my computers - just a simple exe that you can set up to perform a sync between MS outlook and Google calendars (you can set up if you want one-way or both ways sync, and the frequency). Works pretty reliably.
    Thanked by:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Welcome to Android Central! I use , which is a desktop Chrome extension. It gives you quick access to your Google Calendars using a little button in the nav bar, and there are also options for popup notifications as long as you have Chrome open on your desktop/laptop.

So if you enter an event into your Calendar app on your phone, it should sync automatically to your Google Calendar on your desktop/laptop Chrome, and Checker Plus would then show a popup notification depending on that event's alarm setting.
    I really like this extension. I have it set up in my desktop now. I got a few questions though. Does it work when Chrome is closed? Also, does it work offline?

Thanks!

No, Chrome needs to be open. Not sure if you have to be online for previously synced events to alert you.
    Thanked by:
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    No, Chrome needs to be open. Not sure if you have to be online for previously synced events to alert you.
    Now, I think there is a way where, even if you close Chrome it is still running in the background. Do you know anything about that?

In desktop Chrome's Settings, if you select the Advanced Settings, there is an option to "Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed." I'm not sure if that will work.

OP, just add your Microsoft account to your N5 and call it a day. You don't have to use Google calendar or even gmail. When you create new calendar events, make sure you choose the correct calendar to enter. Then all will be synced correctly with your Win 8 or even WP 8.

Global Posts
    549 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by foxbat121 View Post
    OP, just add your Microsoft account to your N5 and call it a day. You don't have to use Google calendar or even gmail. When you create new calendar events, make sure you choose the correct calendar to enter. Then all will be synced correctly with your Win 8 or even WP 8.
    True, except you don't get the Google Now features that are associated to events in the Google Calendar.

Events show up in Google now for me just fine. There is zero reason that you must use Google calendar.