How has ART been on your Nexus 5?

robbg

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I briefly switched to ART on my Nexus 4 right after Kit Kat launched. I thought it ran pretty smooth overall, but there were a handful of apps that weren't playing nice with it at the time. I haven't tried it with my N5 yet, though. For those of you using ART, what's your experience at this point? Are more apps becoming compatible?

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: How has ART been on your N5?

Don't think I've found an app that doesn't work. Some crash once or twice but nothing that would stop me from using it. ART provides a huge speed increase and a small battery bump. It's a no brainer to enable it in my opinion.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

kd0h

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site

My experience has been the same as gid, a crash here and there, but nothing I would say is specifically ART's fault. A small battery increase and a bump in speed. Cannot complain for a "beta" feature.

Last edited:

monsow

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site

Agree. I only experienced small crashes, once or twice, but the battery has increased quite a bit.

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site

When I installed xposed several weeks back it moved the phone back to Dalvik without telling me. I began to notice that the phone was acting like it was choking up. I thought it was my underclock or undervolt but bumping them up did nothing. The multitasking button was sluggish and there were noticeable delays when I tapped a recent app and home button. It was extremely annoying. It occurred to me that xposed might not work with ART due to the way it works. Sure enough, when I removed xposed and moved back to ART everything was buttery smooth again.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Sharky19

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

I have been very happy with it. Rdio won't run for me on ART but other than that, no complaints. I did notice better battery performance after switching to ART.

jmiesse134

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site

My N 5 is running great with it. I am also running franco kernel. Battery life has been phenomenal and is super fast.

Coming from a gnex.. this phone is like night and day!

teamnowak

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

Just installed, but now I can't "sleep" the screen by hitting the power button. Is that normal? How do I fix it?

Roosterman

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site

I've had my N5 a couple weeks. Heard switching to ART would help battery life the first day I got it so I switched over. I haven't given it a second thought since. I had one crash since doing it. If memory serves me, it was Chrome that went down. Last week I noticed my battery was draining very quickly. Decided to reboot the phone and everything is back to normal on battery drain, slow. Don't know the cause on either but haven't had any other issues.

Dperks17

May 19, 2010
Visit site

Amazing. I've been using it since day one. Stock and smooth. 0 crashes or hiccups. I think its more stable that davlik

p g p

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site

No issues at all since I updated to 4.4.1. The UI is impossibly smooth and the whole phone is faster than ever.

Inviato dal mio Nexus 5 utilizzando Tapatalk

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site

I updated a few weeks ago and have had no issues. Running smooth as butter and very good battery life.

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

I've had it on for a week so far. No problems, crashes, or any noticeable issues. I have definitely noticed a rather substantial increase in UI smoothness. Nothing noticeable on the battery front, but that's always been great for me beforehand anyways.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site

No issues for me and the only thing I have noticed is a little better battery life. ART isn't WOW but it works and is an improvement that I like for battery life.

robbg

May 21, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for all the replies. When i first tried it, it never gave me any real issues, aside from a couple of apps that consistently crashed. I was hoping that as time went on that would go away, and from what I'm hearing here, that seems to be the case.

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site

Well, I just got my Nexus 5 replaced via warrantee, but while I had two on hand I decided to make some comparisons with one on dalvik and the other on art. I converted my old one to dalvik and the new one switched to art on first boot up before I restored all my apps, pictures, and music. Once I got through loading everything onto the new phone and both phones were identical, and rebooted both and ran these benchmark test, here are the results with the delvik phone on the left and art on the right (with the warmer screen)

2014-02-20 23.52.37.jpg2014-02-20 23.54.39.jpg2014-02-20 23.54.48.jpg2014-02-21 00.10.36.jpg2014-02-21 00.13.04.jpg

As you can see, the phone running art wins across the board. If you apps are compatible with art, I suggest switching as soon as possible.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2