Nexus 5: Wireless charger - why would I bother?

Moosebear

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
I mean, I guess I'm used to plugging in my phone to charge... so it's not a big deal to me... Why would I pay money to get yet another piece of equipment laying around, another thing I will simply throw out one day?

I mean, I get it, you don't have to plug it in. Is that all it is? Am I missing something here?

Last edited by a moderator:

thefishhawk

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
Re: Wireless charger- why would I bother?

Completely unnecessary but awesome, just like everything else in our lives.

Posted via Android Central App

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

It's one of those things that once you use it, you wish every device you had/have used wireless charging. It's nice to have next to the bed knowing that you don't have to unplug the phone if you need to look at it. It's just a minor convenience, but it's a nice one. And some wireless chargers can be had for $25 or less.

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site

Wireless charging was the thing I missed the most when I had the Galaxy Nexus, my previous phone was the Palm Pre which had wireless charging. I have a Noosy Qi charger for the Nexus 5 and it works great although I still miss the Palm Pre's magnetic mount. Wildo gave a really good example of the usefulness of a wireless charger, you can reach over and pick up your phone in the middle of the night (which I do all the time) without worrying about wires.

kd0h

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site

IWhy would I pay money to get yet another piece of equipment laying around, another thing I will simply throw out one day??

Why should we buy anything if that is your argument? ;)

Sarcasm aside, it is purely convenience...

Last edited:

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site

I mean, I guess I'm used to plugging in my phone to charge... so it's not a big deal to me..
Great for you. You could also get used to washing dishes by hand, but a dishwasher is so much better

Why would I pay money to get yet another piece of equipment laying around, another thing I will simply throw out one day?
1) It is a standard, so it will work with multiple devices
2) You have to pay money for pretty much any equipment you want
3) Do you consider everything you use just "laying around"??
4) Why would YOU? I can't answer that.

I mean, I get it, you don't have to plug it in. Is that all it is?
Yes, that is it. You don't have to plug it in and unplug it over and over multiple times a day.

Am I missing something here?
Yes. You are ignoring the convenience, the time savings, the reduced aggravation, and the less wear on the USB port.

micaels

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

If it is good for you and your usage I would say go for it. Otherwise skip it.

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

I mean, I guess I'm used to plugging in my phone to charge... so it's not a big deal to me... Why would I pay money to get yet another piece of equipment laying around, another thing I will simply throw out one day?

I mean, I get it, you don't have to plug it in. Is that all it is? Am I missing something here?

Let me share this post with you:

This is my first time using wireless charging and the convenience can't be understated. It's not so much that you don't need to plug a cable in, it's more about the fact that it's charging nearly all the time, which means you're never really worrying about the battery life anymore. Before, you'd set your device down on the table, only bothering with the cable if you knew you needed to charge your batts. Now, you put it on the charger instead so it's always charging regardless. The battery, therefore, is always being "topped off." When you return to it or whenever it is you pick it up next, you're 10, 15, maybe even 20% more charged than before (the amazing thing is it charges pretty fast). You're never really worried about battery life anymore.

It also eliminates messy USB cables. Even though the wireless charger itself has a cable, it's always tucked away behind the charger. It's never "loose" so to speak. You're never tugging for it or looking for the end of the cable. Now, there's just this one designated place to charge your device. Plunk it down and you're good.

It's really nice.

I'll also add:

To those concerned about being able to use the device while charging, depending on the type of charger you get, this is still possible. That's the wonderful thing about different manufacturers developing different types of chargers at different price points; you can choose what's best for your needs while still taking advantage of the functionality of wireless charging. Also, I mean, you can just take it off the charger and plunk it back down when you're done. Unless your battery is absolutely at zero, it's really not that big of a deal to just lift it up off the charger whenever you need to use it. That's the freedom of being untethered.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

Convenience is my reason for having one. Another could be the damage that can happen to the port from stress. It's probably not common, but I have seen damaged ports over time.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site

We have 2 Nexus 5s and a Nexus 7 in the house and it is just easier. Wish my Nexus 10 also supported it.....

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I love my LuguLake wireless Qi charger with it's 6000mAh internal battery that I can use anywhere including traveling. Since I live in Florida I can even use it if we lose power from a Hurricane if the power is out to charge even my wife's phone by plugging in a wire. I won't ever buy another phone that doesn't support wireless charging of some type.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Wireless charging is a must for me. I have several and never have worry about battery life. I just drop my phone on the charger and it is always ready to go when I need it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If, like many of us, you use your phone at night in bed (before going to sleep, with the lights off), it's quite convenient to simply place it on the charging pad rather than groping for the microUSB cable, then blindly trying to plug it in

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
If, like many of us, you use your phone at night in bed (before going to sleep, with the lights off), it's quite convenient to simply place it on the charging pad rather than groping for the microUSB cable, then blindly trying to plug it in

Exactly. Very convenient.

reneeh63

May 26, 2010
Visit site

Thanks for the memories! I loved my Palm Pre - cool charger, cool keypad with the raised, sticky keys....and in red - love at first sight...

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I love the convenience.
I found a wireless charger on eBay for 15 bucks and it works great, charges fast, and I'm very happy with it.

It sits on the side of my bed I also have one sitting in front of my iMac so all I have to do is drop it on there and I'm done.

I didn't think it was a big deal until I actually had one.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

jmiesse134

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site

Convenience is my reason for having one. Another could be the damage that can happen to the port from stress. It's probably not common, but I have seen damaged ports over time.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Preventing damage to the micro usb port was my biggest reason for getting one. Secondly,for convenience.