Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By B. Diddy
  • 1 Post By artlu629
  • 1 Post By crxssi
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 5: Unwanted Pictures

Not sure why it's saving all these pictures or which app is causing it but is there any way to disable it.

I deleted all of them but they keep reappearing.
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 02-23-2014 at 06:15 PM.
    "I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie (THE NEWSROOM, HBO)

Default Re: Unwanted Pictures

What pictures are you referring to? Are they images from an app that are showing up in your Gallery? Or are you talking about photos that you're taking that are automatically being backed up to Google+?

If they're images from an app, it's probably because the folder that contains the images doesn't have a ".nomedia" file in there (which tells the system's media scanner to ignore that folder when searching for images to put in the Gallery). If you know the folder, you can create a blank file titled ".nomedia" using any file manager app. You might have to clear the Gallery's data and then allow the Gallery to repopulate (go to Settings>Apps>All, select Gallery, then Clear Data).

If you're talking about photos automatically saved to Google+, select Google Settings>Google+>Auto Backup, and turn it off.
    Thanked by 2:
    srkmagnus, artlu629 and UJ95x like this.

@B. Diddy, thanks a lot. That ".nomedia" file really helped. I used to have 1,000+ images from apps and games in my gallery.

Posted from my Nexus 5 via Android Central App
    Last edited by artlu629; 02-22-2014 at 06:46 PM.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    Linux: The power beneath

Global Posts
    2,483 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    You might have to clear the Gallery's data and then allow the Gallery to repopulate (go to Settings>Apps>All, select Gallery, then Clear Data).
    Ug- why would ANYONE voluntarily use "Gallery"??!! Talk about a lame/stupid program. It doesn't even understand what a directory structure/tree looks like. Do yourself a favor and install QuickPic:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ensw.PicFolder

You won't be disappointed!
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5 (T-Mobile), Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G
    srkmagnus likes this.

AMEN to that!
    Even Photos is better than Gallery.

Quickpic has a neat feature "Link to Desktop" in Settings.
    Feature available from menu when viewing a folder of photos.
    Gives quick access to your favorite photos from the desktop.

Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    Do yourself a favor and install QuickPic ... You won't be disappointed!
    The only downside to QuickPic is that it doesn't offer access to cloud albums, or is there a way to set it up for those?
    Linux: The power beneath

Global Posts
    2,483 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xstinkyx View Post
    The only downside to QuickPic is that it doesn't offer access to cloud albums, or is there a way to set it up for those?
    Might be a down side for you, but some people (myself included) have no interest in most "cloud" services . I personally don't think every possible app has to include "cloud" options. Such inclusion makes the programs bigger, more complex, requiring more permissions, installs more services, and is generally more annoying (when it isn't wanted). But I can see why someone would want that in this app.

To answer your question... no, it is a local photo browser only.
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5 (T-Mobile), Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G

Another big +1 on QuickPic, best gallery app bar none.

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:

I like QuickPic but I can't use it because it cannot access my OneDrive account. For me that's a major flaw.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Default Re: Nexus 5: Unwanted Pictures

Another vote for quickpic but like others pointed out it has limitations. I still like it.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    What pictures are you referring to? Are they images from an app that are showing up in your Gallery? Or are you talking about photos that you're taking that are automatically being backed up to Google+?

If they're images from an app, it's probably because the folder that contains the images doesn't have a ".nomedia" file in there (which tells the system's media scanner to ignore that folder when searching for images to put in the Gallery). If you know the folder, you can create a blank file titled ".nomedia" using any file manager app. You might have to clear the Gallery's data and then allow the Gallery to repopulate (go to Settings>Apps>All, select Gallery, then Clear Data).

If you're talking about photos automatically saved to Google+, select Google Settings>Google+>Auto Backup, and turn it off.
    Thanked. It is images from an app.

Quote Originally Posted by bembol View Post
    Thanked. It is images from an app.
    Were you able to create a .nomedia file in that folder to make the images disappear from the Gallery?