Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By kd0h
  • 1 Post By srkmagnus
  • 1 Post By JeffDenver
  • 1 Post By bjrosen
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    134 Global Posts

Default 5 questions about the Nexus 5

I'm considering the Nexus 5 for my next phone but I have a few questions regarding it that I'm hoping you guys can help me with.

1. I've heard that there should be different hardware versions: One with more loose and slack buttons and smaller speaker holes and one new version with more firm buttons and bigger holes. Is there a way to tell which I'll get? A model number or something? I intend to make the purchase online as it is cheaper and one of the (many) reasons I'm getting the Nexus 5 is the low price.

2. As price is important to me and I'm not really that much of a heavy user I'm looking at the 16 GB version (tbh I'm not sure if a 32 GB version is available in Denmark). How much space can I expect to have left after the initial updating and software installations? My music library is about 3,5 GB and I don't watch movies on the device so I don't really think it'll be too big a problem. My current handset has 16 GB of which 11 is free (no music on the phone). Will I regret not getting 32 GB?

3. Making the purchase online from Danish sites, how can I make sure that it is actually a device that is compatible with European data standards so it can operate with 4G LTE connections? A quick look at the cheapest page I could find right now lists these specs for connectivity:

- 2G Network: GSM 850/900/1800/1900
    - 3G Network: HSDPA 850/900/1700 /1900/2100
    - 4G Network: LTE 800/850/900/1800/2100/2600
    LG Nexus 5 16GB

I have really no idea what this indicates.

4. I've heard rumours that the Nexus 5 is the end of the Nexus branding. What does this mean for the future updating cycle of the Nexus 5? Timely and up to date software updates are very important to me - another reason why I'm looking at the Nexus 5. I would be sad to see it not getting updated in the near future as well as in a couple of years.

5. I've always used iTunes to mange my music. In iTunes I only have the music I'm actually listening to so not all of my MP3-files are shown here. Is there a way to synchronize the iTunes library to the Nexus 5 as opposed to moving every single song I have on the computer to the phone?

Bonus: In reason getting a cheap versus a more expensive wireless charger? Or is the official wireless charger the best option out there?

Thank you very much
    Last edited by Marute; 02-22-2014 at 07:52 AM.

Default Re: 5 questions about the Nexus 5

I will attempt to answer a few of these for ya... (some of what you are asking are what ifs so you will get a lot of speculating to answers unless Google themselves answer)

1. Some people who order a Nexus 5 now one get or the other. I don't beleive there is a way to get one or the other, or to tell which you you are getting for that matter. I could be wrong though.
    2. With the size of the OS and the system apps the Nexus 5 16 GB is said to have about 12.3 GB of actual storage space. Here is a cool article going over it for a bunch of phones and you can see who the major offenders are of "bloatware"

How much storage space does your 16GB smartphone really have?

3. From my understanding there are two chipset versions of the phone depending on where you order from. The US and the rest of the world. So in theory you should be set for LTE but you would want to check with your provider to verify what LTE bands they need for LTE on their service. (To be honest though I thought the only carrier it wouldn't work with was Verizon in the US)
    4. A rumor that this is the end of the Nexus line is just that, a rumor. Google will stop sending the updates to the a Nexus when they feel hardware is no longer supported for what they are putting out OS wise (minimum requirements not met). If history tell us anything that is about 2 years.
    5. If you download Google Music on your computer and have it sync with iTunes all of your songs (up to 20,000) will be available for you. If you need more I think you ned to sign up for something and there is a fee associated. The main page just had this article on it a day or two ago as well.

How to get your iTunes music onto Android | Android Central

Bonus- Go to Amazon or wherever you want online, find a Qi charger with good reviews for an amount you do not mind spending and go for it. You do not need the Nexus wireless charger.

Hope this helps!
    ~Keith

Nexus 5 - 4.4.2 (rooted) on T-Mobile
    Nexus 7 (2012)- 4.4.2 (rooted)
    Thanked by:
    Marute 
    srkmagnus and Marute like this.

Global Posts
    7,445 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Kd0h pretty much hit the market with responses. Let us know if you have further questions!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    Thanked by:
    Marute 
    Marute likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    134 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kd0h View Post
    I will attempt to answer a few of these for ya... (some of what you are asking are what ifs so you will get a lot of speculating to answers unless Google themselves answer)

1. Some people who order a Nexus 5 now one get or the other. I don't beleive there is a way to get one or the other, or to tell which you you are getting for that matter. I could be wrong though.
    2. With the size of the OS and the system apps the Nexus 5 16 GB is said to have about 12.3 GB of actual storage space. Here is a cool article going over it for a bunch of phones and you can see who the major offenders are of "bloatware"

How much storage space does your 16GB smartphone really have?

3. From my understanding there are two chipset versions of the phone depending on where you order from. The US and the rest of the world. So in theory you should be set for LTE but you would want to check with your provider to verify what LTE bands they need for LTE on their service. (To be honest though I thought the only carrier it wouldn't work with was Verizon in the US)
    4. A rumor that this is the end of the Nexus line is just that, a rumor. Google will stop sending the updates to the a Nexus when they feel hardware is no longer supported for what they are putting out OS wise (minimum requirements not met). If history tell us anything that is about 2 years.
    5. If you download Google Music on your computer and have it sync with iTunes all of your songs (up to 20,000) will be available for you. If you need more I think you ned to sign up for something and there is a fee associated. The main page just had this article on it a day or two ago as well.

How to get your iTunes music onto Android | Android Central

Bonus- Go to Amazon or wherever you want online, find a Qi charger with good reviews for an amount you do not mind spending and go for it. You do not need the Nexus wireless charger.

Hope this helps!
    1. I see. I guess it's not really that important anyway

2. Thanks for the article. 12.3GB is not bad at all so I think I'll manage also considering the great amount of online storage options available.

3. It seems that's nothing to worry about anyway. I don't know why I got this fixed idea that this could be a problem but I'm glad to hear it's not commonly something to look out for unless you buy from a completely different part of the world.

Thanks for the article on iTunes -> Android music transfer and the advice on wireless chargers. And thank you for the thorough reply in general.

Global Posts
    2,487 Global Posts
    ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

Quote Originally Posted by Marute View Post
    1. I've heard that there should be different hardware versions: One with more loose and slack buttons and smaller speaker holes and one new version with more firm buttons and bigger holes. Is there a way to tell which I'll get? A model number or something? I intend to make the purchase online as it is cheaper and one of the (many) reasons I'm getting the Nexus 5 is the low price.
    All the ones I have bought so far had normal buttons. But if they are loose you can always RMA it.

2. As price is important to me and I'm not really that much of a heavy user I'm looking at the 16 GB version (tbh I'm not sure if a 32 GB version is available in Denmark). How much space can I expect to have left after the initial updating and software installations? My music library is about 3,5 GB and I don't watch movies on the device so I don't really think it'll be too big a problem. My current handset has 16 GB of which 11 is free (no music on the phone). Will I regret not getting 32 GB?
    IMO, probably. You will miss it if you ever start shooting video on it, for example (which eats up space quick). For me, I'd rather just get it just in case, because you cannot upgrade to it later. And it is only a $50 difference.

That being said, the nexus 5 does support USB OTG...but it is a minor hassle to connect it and move stuff over. For me it is worth the $50. I like not having to delete stuff to make space all the time.

4. I've heard rumours that the Nexus 5 is the end of the Nexus branding. What does this mean for the future updating cycle of the Nexus 5?
    Most likely you will still see devices that run vanilla android, but are just not called "Nexus". Examples are the GPE devices. You will still see lots of nexus-like devices they just will not carry the nexus brand name. The point of the nexus line was to demonstrate to other vendors how Google thinks they should design their phones.. Google has never made a dime off Nexus phones, and is most likely taking a big loss on them.

IMO...I think it is likely Google will continue the nexus line. I think there is still a need for a "demo" Android phone.

Timely and up to date software updates are very important to me - another reason why I'm looking at the Nexus 5. I would be sad to see it not getting updated in the near future as well as in a couple of years.
    Google has already started strong-arming OEMs into guaranteeing updates. I think things are going to change now. Google owns the Play store, and OEMs will need to cooperate if they want access to it...which is a powerful incentive.

5. I've always used iTunes to mange my music. In iTunes I only have the music I'm actually listening to so not all of my MP3-files are shown here. Is there a way to synchronize the iTunes library to the Nexus 5 as opposed to moving every single song I have on the computer to the phone?
    Doubetwist will do it. But you can also import your library into Google Music I think. I keep my library as separate MP3s.

https://www.doubletwist.com
    Thanked by:
    Marute 
    Marute likes this.

Global Posts
    200 Global Posts

Get the 32G version, you'll really be sorry if you get the 16G version. The Nexus has no SD slot so the internal storage is all you have. I have a 16G Nexus 7 and I've run into the limit even though I don't play games. My last phone was a Galaxy Nexus with 32G and my current phone is the Nexus 5 with 32G, I've never come close to reaching the limit on these.

Don't worry about the hardware fixes, they were made months ago. Any phone you buy from Google Play will be up to date (assuming that you can buy directly from Google in Denmark).

Don't worry about Nexus branding, all there is are rumors right now. If the Nexus brand is dropped it will be in favor of a more robust Google Play market which will give you greater choices for pure Android phones.

The European edition of the Nexus 5 will support the full range of European LTE networks.
    Thanked by:
    Marute 
    Marute likes this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    134 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bjrosen View Post
    Get the 32G version, you'll really be sorry if you get the 16G version. The Nexus has no SD slot so the internal storage is all you have. I have a 16G Nexus 7 and I've run into the limit even though I don't play games. My last phone was a Galaxy Nexus with 32G and my current phone is the Nexus 5 with 32G, I've never come close to reaching the limit on these.

Don't worry about the hardware fixes, they were made months ago. Any phone you buy from Google Play will be up to date (assuming that you can buy directly from Google in Denmark).

Don't worry about Nexus branding, all there is are rumors right now. If the Nexus brand is dropped it will be in favor of a more robust Google Play market which will give you greater choices for pure Android phones.

The European edition of the Nexus 5 will support the full range of European LTE networks.
    I've done some more research and it would seem that a) I cannot buy to Denmark directly from Google as I get this message:

"Sorry! Devices on Google Play is not available in your country yet.
    We're working to bring devices to more countries as quickly as possible.
    Please check back again soon."

and b) it appears that only 16 GB versions are available from Danish stores.

This, of course, makes it quite easy to pick which version to get.

Thanks for the input anyway, though I figure after reading some more and thinking it through I will be able to do just fine with a 16GB model. After all, I am at max a moderate level user when it comes to the amount of content and apps I have on the phone and I like to empty my phone regularly if I do shoot a video or a few photos.