Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By swebb
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Linux: The power beneath

Global Posts
    2,684 Global Posts

Default Bluetooth headset button inconsistent

OK, I searched for this on the forum and could not find anything about it....

I have Google Now turned off (which is exactly what I want).
    I have a Motorola bluetooth headset.
    I want sane/consistent voice control and dialing from the bluetooth headset.
    Bluetooth headset pairs fine and otherwise works fine EXCEPT...

If the phone is asleep and I press the heatset button, the phone wakes up and says "Say call, followed by a name or number". The screen is dark themed. I can't do anything but what she said. And when I say "call jane doe" it says something like "say one for mobile or two for home".

If the phone is AWAKE and I press the headset button, I get a totally different screen, white themed. It beeps and says nothing, and I can then tell it ANYTHING- like "what is the square root of 10?" or "Call jane doe at home".

This makes no sense to me. Maybe it is necessary for some reason I don't understand. If I want to be COMPLETELY hands free for full voice control, with a phone that is asleep (which is the normal state of a smart phone), I can cheatl by pressing the headset button, canceling the voice dial by pressing the button again, waiting, then pressing it yet again.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is this normal? Why is it like this? Is there some setting somewhere I can't find that changes these behaviors? Thanks!!
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5 (T-Mobile), Moto360, Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Global Posts
    2,684 Global Posts

Default Re: Bluetooth headset button inconsistent

Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    [...]Has anyone else noticed this? Is this normal? Why is it like this? Is there some setting somewhere I can't find that changes these behaviors? Thanks!!
    Nobody else uses voice dialing with a bluetooth headset??
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5 (T-Mobile), Moto360, Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G

Global Posts
    662 Global Posts

Nobody else uses voice dialing with a bluetooth headset??
    Plenty of us do (myself included) but likely haven't experienced the issue you're seeing. Or if we are, were unaware of it due to the fact that if we're using hands free we're likely not actually looking at the phone itself. I'd have to actually go and test this behavior under both situations to give a better answer. Sorry!

OK, I searched for this on the forum and could not find anything about it....

If the phone is asleep and I press the heatset button, the phone wakes up and says "Say call, followed by a name or number". The screen is dark themed. I can't do anything but what she said. And when I say "call jane doe" it says something like "say one for mobile or two for home".

If the phone is AWAKE and I press the headset button, I get a totally different screen, white themed. It beeps and says nothing, and I can then tell it ANYTHING- like "what is the square root of 10?" or "Call jane doe at home".
    I'll start with situation 2. This is the same behavior you see if you go into google search and press the microphone icon without Bluetooth being on. In your case, the phone responds to your voice over blue tooth but doesn't respond via Bluetooth. If your headset was off you would possibly hear some response from the phone (over its' speaker) depending on what you asked or said first.

Situation 1 is what should happen when you voice dial. You can only use the phone with the "call' command and it talks back to you as you stated. This should be consistent whether the phone is off or on, but it isn't.

I wish my setup would work like this. It used to but a couple weeks ago it stopped talking back to me. The prompts (as stated in the first situation) disappeared. I can still make a call by talking as if the prompts were being spoken. So I believe the phone is doing something but it's not coming back over Bluetooth. This also happened a few months ago but it came back after a week or so.

I believe google is pushing changes to google now and google search that we are unaware of. And they break things that worked before. Honestly, google does a terrible job with voice dialing over Bluetooth. My Windows phone from 2007 was far superior to anything google has ever done with this.

I hope they eventually fix it so it works at least as well as before. This is my number one pet peeve with google, by far.
    crxssi likes this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    2,684 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by swebb View Post
    Honestly, google does a terrible job with voice dialing over Bluetooth. [...]I hope they eventually fix it so it works at least as well as before. This is my number one pet peeve with google, by far.
    I have to agree. I have not been happy with any Android phone's voice dialing and bluetooth. I have always had all kinds of problems, regardless of the phone, the version of Android, and the model of headset (and I have had a lot of combinations of all of them).

Past experiences: Sometimes I lose connection completely while not using it. Sometimes it never connects. Sometimes I lose the headset in the middle of a call. Sometimes the button doesn't work. Sometimes the button works but the phone gets stuck responding. Sometimes the prompts come over the headset, sometimes not. Sometimes the volume blows my ear off no matter how I adjust the volume. There have been a few cases where things seemed to work properly and consistently for a few months, then some stupid update ruins it again.

And that isn't even including the issues I have had with connecting to the car...

If you're using a third party voice dialer with KitKat, like Klets (what I use), I have found that you can uninstall updates to Google Search and disable automatic updates for said app. This will then allow you to choose which application loads upon long-pressing the bluetooth button.

Sad. Would be nice to keep those updates.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    2,684 Global Posts

8+ months later, I am still having a horrible time with Nexus 5 Bluetooth, especially with trying to voice dial (non-hangouts). Now I have a Sena bluetooth headset for a helmet, and it acts exactly the same as my Motorola bluetooth headset. I try dozens of times to dial and most of the time it will recognize who I want to call and ask me to choose "say 1 for mobile, say 2 for home, or say cancel" and it *never* lets me continue no matter what I say. The voice is sometimes loud and stereo. Sometimes it is weak and mono. Sometimes after I take a call, the music then starts coming through the phone and there is no way to get it back on the bluetooth. Sometimes during a voice dialing it will just sit there and do nothing for minutes and pressing the button just results in a beep.

Why is this such a disaster on Google's flagship device???