Ok to charge Nexus 5 with Nexus 7 (wired) charger?

reneeh63

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I use a wireless charger at home with my Nexus 5 but when I travel I'd like to use the Nexus 7 charger for both my phone and tablet. Will I "burn up" my Nexus 5?

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
You are fine. I have a Nexus 10, Nexus 7 and a Nexus 5 and I grab whatever charger is on top in the drawer.

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
USB charging is a standard, you can use any USB charger with any USB compatible phone. There are some chargers that are designed to be used with iPhones that support a non-standard protocol that speeds up the charging of iPhones. With older versions of Android these chargers performed poorly, however as of 4.2 or thereabouts Google figured out what they were doing and now those chargers will also work at full rate with Android phones.

euanpne

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Along the same vein as this thread, i can only find chargers on eBay that are 2 meters long!

Do shorter ones exist, or are they all monsters?

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
2 meters, that's easy to long. Would take forever to charge

Sent from my EVO using AC Forums mobile app

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
A 2 meter cable will not charge any slower than a 1 meter cable if it is of sufficient gauge. There is not a lot of amps running through it to cause much worry.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
USB charging is a standard, you can use any USB charger with any USB compatible phone. There are some chargers that are designed to be used with iPhones that support a non-standard protocol that speeds up the charging of iPhones. With older versions of Android these chargers performed poorly, however as of 4.2 or thereabouts Google figured out what they were doing and now those chargers will also work at full rate with Android phones.

Well, not exactly. While you can use any USB charger with any USB compatible phone, chargers may have different current output. If you try to charge the N5 with a 500mAH charger, it will slow much slower than it would with the OEM charger
An issue with cables too - some USB cables have the data pins shorted, and some don't. If the pins are shorted, it will permit faster charging.

Last edited:

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Some chargers are higher capacity than others. Thats why tablets charge a lot slower (if at all) with phone chargers. But they are completely interchangeable. There is no way to fry a phone using a tablet charger.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez