Nexus 5: "OK Google..Call Bob Schmedlap on mobile" "Sorry, no phone number listed."

Viventis

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Nexus 5: "OK Google..Call Bob Schmedlap on mobile" "Sorry, no phone number listed."

Is Google voice dialing having issues? This just started after months of successful dialing from the same contacts list. "OK Google..Call Bob Schmedlap on mobile" "Sorry, no phone number listed." Then it shows the contact with a chance to edit it. I select the option and there are all the numbers in the correct place! But, if I just say: "OK Google, call Bob Schmedlap" it will respond: "Would you like to call home. mobile or business?" Has this been happening to anyone else? Is there a fix?

Last edited by a moderator:

techydavid

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
Re: "OK Google..Call Bob Schmedlap on mobile" "Sorry, no phone number listed."

Same here with my Grandmas contact. Hm....

From mah shiny new Nexus 5

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site

I have the same issue.

Viventis

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site

I still have this problem as do at least two others. Any help appreciated.

Viventis

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site

I found a thread which shows that the Google voice calling app is doing this on many different models of phones. Most think it started after a recent update.

jennyfur

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: Nexus 5: "OK Google..Call Bob Schmedlap on mobile" "Sorry, no phone number listed."

Yeah this is a big improvement over the complicated "say select 1 for home, say select 2 for mobile, or say select 3 for other" crap you had to go through before for contacts with multiple numbers that took forever. Basically they've just streamlined it to be faster by asking which number more directly and requiring less words for the answer. Unfortunately it does mean you can't specify home, mobile or other in the initial voice command now like you could before, which undoubtedly makes things far less efficient. Apparently there's no happy medium.

Viventis

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Re: Nexus 5: "OK Google..Call Bob Schmedlap on mobile" "Sorry, no phone number listed."

The interesting thing is that it works for some contacts but not for others. The number of contacts with the problem increases over time. If it was changed by Google on purpose, I would think it would instantly change for all contacts.

jennyfur

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site

The interesting thing is that it works for some contacts but not for others. The number of contacts with the problem increases over time. If it was changed by Google on purpose, I would think it would instantly change for all contacts.
Strange, it doesn't work for any of mine anymore. Or at least I haven't found any that do yet. I thought all of them changed.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site

The work around is "Call Bob Schmedlap" without saying mobile and it will at least then ask you what number to call. Then you can simply say "mobile".

Except that often it doesn't say ANYTHING back or still doesn't work... at least not with my bluetooth headset. I am not sure why they can't seem to get this right! It is very annoying. I am glad I don't rely on this for a motorcycle or something where it HAS to be hands-free and reliable, it would make the setup completely useless.

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site

As much as I like voice dialing...I have just given up and depend on a folder full of "Direct Dial" shortcuts. Its just more dependable. Voice dialing is great when it works, but the fails make me go nuts...

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site

As much as I like voice dialing...I have just given up and depend on a folder full of "Direct Dial" shortcuts. Its just more dependable. Voice dialing is great when it works, but the fails make me go nuts...

The stupid part is voice dialing used to be 100% reliable for me... TWO PHONES ago on an Evo 3D. On the Evo LTE it was fine the first year and then more flaky with later updates... and on the Nexus 5 it is just very flaky.