Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jj14x
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How to back-up Nexus 5 OTB

Hey everyone,
    I'm looking for some info on doing a complete back up of my nexus 5, OUT OF THE BOX. That's everything from contacts to apps, pictures and video.
    DO NOT try to tell me I need to ROOT my device. I am not interested and you will be shunned! Every piece of advice I can find tells me to root and I refuse. There has to be a way to back up this phone out of the box.
    I am using a 32gb nexus 5 on a mac computer.
    Thanks in advance, I love this forum

Global Posts
    522 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.4 KitKat

Default Re: How to back-up Nexus 5 OTB

If you use google plus your pics will be backed up there. I prefer to off load vids and pics myself. For Mac I use "Android File Transfer" I take alot of vids and Pics and only trust myself to keep them safe. Also the bandwidth to back them up to the cloud would be enormous. I send the good vid's(After editing) to Youtube.

Your contacts get backed up to your Gmail(There is a tab for contacts,top left corner)

Apps will restore themselves when you sign back in to your account.

Backup is under Setting's/Back Up and Restore. Check "Back Up My Data" and Check "Automatic Restore" Click the menu button top right corner and click "Help" and it will describe in detail what the backup covers.

Also for App's...... Setting's/Accounts/Google...Make sure its syncing to your account. It will show the last date synched.
    Also for all App's that use it, Settings/Data Usage...Click the Menu button. Check auto Sync Data.
    Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Chex313; 02-26-2014 at 04:03 PM.
    N5 Black 32GB 4.4.2(I love this thing!!), N4 (4.4.2), iphone 5, etc., N7(4.4.2) AT&T(2 Unlimited Plan's) The Nexus 5 is so fast...I just finished the internet...The ending wasn't great...
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    549 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor Cowan View Post
    I'm looking for some info on doing a complete back up of my nexus 5, OUT OF THE BOX.
    Not sure what you mean by "Out of the box" in this context. Typically, OOB indicates factory image, to restore your phone to the condition you had when you first took it out of the box. But you then indicate contacts/apps/pictures/videos - which is not part of the phone when you first took it Out of the box.

If you just want to restore your phone to the way it was when you got it the first time, that's easy - factory reset. (stop reading further)

If you want a system image, to restore EVERYTHING the way it was at the moment you took the backup, your only option is to root. Yes, you can shun me (!!!), but that doesn't change the facts. I think I'll survive being shunned.

If you are ok with backing up individual parts, follow the steps that Chex313 outlined. Note that while your apps will get restored, some apps (that do not backup their data to cloud) will not restore app-data. So game progress for games that do not backup to the cloud, will be lost. If you have custom settings for apps like lightflow or tasker, you will need to go into the settings for those apps and create a backup of the settings, and remember to back those up to the cloud or your computer. There are some apps out there that do not have the option to backup their settings/widgets.

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor Cowan View Post
    DO NOT try to tell me I need to ROOT my device. I am not interested and you will be shunned! Every piece of advice I can find tells me to root and I refuse. There has to be a way to back up this phone out of the box.
    Nobody is going to force you to root your device - but if you want people to tell you a way to make 2+2 to be equal to 5, it ain't possible. A system image (backup of EVERYTHING) without rooting is not possible. You can backup most of the things, but not everything.
    SactoKingsFan likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Ok at least I understand why everyone insists on root as the only way to back up.
    I basically wanted a way to plug my phone into the computer and have everything backed up in one file that i can restore from one source without any modifications. Kind of like the way you would do a back up through itunes if you had one of those "other" phones.
    Thanks for the help

Global Posts
    549 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

If you use the google ecosystem (gmail contacts, google calendar, play store, google music, google plus for photos etc), most of the things are auto-backed up by google. The only things that aren't backed up are the user app data (for apps that don't store to cloud). For that, try helium backup (works without root too).
    If you run into issues, and have to factory reset, everything will auto-restore (except the app data that you had to backup separately - just restore using helium).

Look at it this way - with ios, you have to connect to itunes and restore. Here, when you activate your google account on your phone, everything will auto-restore - and you have to use helium to restore the app data that didn't auto-restore. Number of steps is the same.