Relentless pop-up ad on new Nexus 5

markhanf

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
I have this relentless "Obamacare" ad that keeps popping up on my N5. I've downloaded Ad Network Detector and Airpush Detector and I can't figure out the culprit. Every time my phone rings i have to navigate around this stupid pop-up ad and half the time I'm missing my call! Any suggestions? Thanks!!

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Since airpush detector is not detecting this, I assume this is not an ad in your notification bar.
Look thru' the apps you recently installed, and see which ones have permissions to "draw over" your screen. It should be one of those.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! It's probably related to an app that was installed at some point, rather than an ad network (which I think only causes ads in the Notifications). You may just have to uninstall your most recently installed apps one by one until it stops.

- - - Updated - - -

Since airpush detector is not detecting this, I assume this is not an ad in your notification bar.
Look thru' the apps you recently installed, and see which ones have permissions to "draw over" your screen. It should be one of those.

We posted at the same time! This is a good idea.

Bront

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Try clicking to go into the app, and then multi-task out of it and uninstall the app. That or check what apps you have installed that you may not recognize.

Or just do a factory reset.

Edit: Yeah, probably not the best idea.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Try clicking to go into the app, and then multi-task out of it and uninstall the app

I suspect clicking on the ad will either open the browser to some fishy website, or worse yet will prompt a download of an even fishier app--so I would actually not recommend clicking on the ad.