Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By B. Diddy
  • 1 Post By jeffreymo
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Amber Alerts

Last night I awoke to the sound of a womans voice coming from my phone. Turns out, it was tied in with an Amber alert, and the phone was actually "speaking" the alert to me. Does anyone know of a way to turn the voice feature off, yet still recieve the alert itself?

Default Re: Amber Alerts

Go to Settings>Wireless & networks-More>Cell broadcasts​, and uncheck "Speak alert message."
    crxssi and UJ95x like this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Go to Settings>Wireless & networks-More>Cell broadcasts​, and uncheck "Speak alert message."
    Hmmm. I do not have the "Speak Alert Message" option in Cell Broadcasts.

You scrolled down a bit on that screen? It's just below "Vibrate" for me.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Yes, I did. There is nothing under Vibrate.
    Linux: The power beneath

Global Posts
    2,710 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jeffreymo View Post
    Strange, it is right there on mine.
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5 (T-Mobile), Moto360, Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G

Quote Originally Posted by jeffreymo View Post
    Did you get your Nexus 5 directly from Google, or from a wireless company? I wonder if the wireless companies modify it.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

That's possible. I picked it up from the Sprint store.
    Linux: The power beneath

Global Posts
    2,710 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Did you get your Nexus 5 directly from Google, or from a wireless company? I wonder if the wireless companies modify it.
    I thought the carriers were not allowed to modify it. Perhaps I was wrong thinking instead of right thinking. Mine is Google bought and T-Mobile activated (I came off Sprint).

One way to know for sure if his Sprint Nexus 5 DOES have modifications, Sprint absolutely would shove "Sprint Zone" onto it. So if that is installed, the carriers are tampering (or at least Sprint is, and if they do, they all probably do).
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5 (T-Mobile), Moto360, Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G

Global Posts
    9,113 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM12 5.0.2

Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    I thought the carriers were not allowed to modify it. Perhaps I was wrong thinking instead of right thinking. Mine is Google bought and T-Mobile activated (I came off Sprint).

One way to know for sure if his Sprint Nexus 5 DOES have modifications, Sprint absolutely would shove "Sprint Zone" onto it. So if that is installed, the carriers are tampering (or at least Sprint is, and if they do, they all probably do).
    They're not allowed to and I'm pretty sure they don't

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

I was wondering if maybe it's some sort of Accessibility setting, since Text-to-Speech is located there--however, there isn't a way to turn Text-to-Speech on or off. On my Nexus 5, I only have one "Preferred Engine" listed, which is Google Text-to-speech, and I can't uncheck it. Maybe if you have more than one engine, it has to be Google Text-to-speech? Check Settings>Accessibility>Text-to-speech output.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

I found the issue. I had not enabled ART until today, and once I did that, the "speak alert message" option was there.
    Thanked by:
    B. Diddy likes this.