Switch to LG G2

teamnowak

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I?d like some opinions. I am thinking of buying an LG G2 and selling my Nexus 5. I have had the N5 since it was released and do enjoy it. I?ve only had a couple of smartphones, and it is easily the best. Two really important features for me though are camera quality and battery life. From what I?ve seen, the G2 is similar to the N5 but with a better battery and better camera. In my opinion the N5 camera is okay but I think the software itself is really lacking. I?ve tried some different apps but none have really impressed me and I think a phone?s stock camera app probably works the best with that phone. The N5 just has a bad one.

I have read some pretty scathing reviews of the LG UI though. It?s said to be ugly and filled with all kinds of unnecessary crap. I would also be giving up wireless charging (why doesn?t every phone have this??) so that would be the other main con.

So, some questions:
1) In general, given my desire for a better camera and better battery life, should I still consider this even if I probably will enjoy the stock Android UI better?
2) I don?t think the weird back buttons will bother me. Any horror stories?
3) I have a Straight Talk ATT sim. Would I have to get an unlocked GSM phone or will any ATT phone work? Or can I get any GSM phone and unlock it? Also, how would updates from Google and/or LG be handled in this scenario?
4) Anything else I should consider before switching?

Thanks.

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I am baffled by how folks cant take great pics with the N5 maybe not fast pics...but my HDR pics held with a steady hand are as good as any I have seen...and I would just get a small portable Battery pack to double battery life.

I know not much help...Good luck with the G2 if you do go that way, should be a great phone.

teamnowak

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Didn't say I don't get some great shots. I get a lot actually. The camera itself is pretty good. The camera UI sucks though and I want more features.

gadgetgirl3

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
You don't HAVE to use the stock camera app. There are many other apps. I use "A Better Camera" from the Play store. It has tons of features.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

teamnowak

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
You don't HAVE to use the stock camera app. There are many other apps. I use "A Better Camera" from the Play store. It has tons of features.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Oh I know. I've tried a bunch of them. And while they are more feature-rich, none of them take pictures with the same quality as the native camera app (at least from what I've seen).

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Can you tell us which camera apps you've tried? Who knows, there might be one out there you haven't tried that is exactly what you're looking for.

icyrock1

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
I don't know why people complain about the UI. If you don't like it install a launcher (I personally use Apex launcher, though most people seem to like Nova better).

Can you tell us which camera apps you've tried? Who knows, there might be one out there you haven't tried that is exactly what you're looking for.

Most of the apps i've seen in the store don't offer a great experience, though. And they don't "feel" like full replacements, either.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Camera Zoom FX is pretty good. But I'm totally fine with stock.

Posted via Android Central App

teamnowak

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

I like the features of Camera Awesome (particularly choosing focus and exposure separately and burst modes) but it doesn't support HDR which makes it pointless in my opinion. I've tried Camera Zoom FX, Camera 360, A Better Camera (after someone here mentioned it), and some others.

gadgetgirl3

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
You said you had issues with the UI. That's the software.
Are you checking the resolution settings in the apps?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

teamnowak

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
You said you had issues with the UI. That's the software.

True. I think the hardware (the camera itself) is fine. The stock android software is totally lacking in simple things like a burst mode. It is very hard to navigate and change settings too. I want a good camera and good UI - that's why I'm thinking of switching to the G2.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
HDR is nice and all, but what about action shots? Like of my kids not holding still to get a good shot? ANyone have experience with that and taken good shots in normal or sport mode?

gadgetgirl3

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
ypuzuhuj.jpg
y9umamu6.jpg

How many more settings /choices do you need? This is from Better Camera.

g2_havok

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
So, some questions:
1) In general, given my desire for a better camera and better battery life, should I still consider this even if I probably will enjoy the stock Android UI better?
i came from a g2 and so my opinion may help. i basically do email, some youtube, some netflix, texting, kakaotalk, kakaostory, and a few phone calls a day. gps off, google now off. i used to average 50 hours off-charger on the g2. amaaaazing battery life. re: camera. 13mp vs. 8mp. the camera sensor is waaaay better imho. i took some action shots at a football game with my g2 and they were crisp and clean. to me, the g2's hdr mode is way better in capturing the right exposure. lg's camera software is optimized for the hardware and works great, is super easy to use, and takes sharp pictures. the lg ui is no more cluttered than samsung's touchwiz. you can disable and hide the bloatware you don't want/need. i was able to clean up my phone pretty good without rooting it. also, i believe most u.s. carriers have the 32gb model so you have more space right off the bat.

2) I don?t think the weird back buttons will bother me. Any horror stories?
try this experiement - sit down at a busy town square and observe how people hold their phones while make phone calls. notice where their index finger is... the button placement didn't bother me one bit and after a while became quite natural. double-tapping the screen to turn on and off also ensures you don't miss the power button being on the side.

3) I have a Straight Talk ATT sim. Would I have to get an unlocked GSM phone or will any ATT phone work? Or can I get any GSM phone and unlock it? Also, how would updates from Google and/or LG be handled in this scenario?
dunno about this one.

4) Anything else I should consider before switching?
i really liked the g2. circumstances have caused me to get the n5 and i'm enjoying the n5. but if things didn't happen the way they did, i would still have my g2 and be none the wiser. great futureproofed phone imho.

teamnowak

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I tried it out. It does offer a lot of settings but the shots I get from it are not even close in quality to stock camera. I'm really looking for the best of both words (and thinking the G2 might offer it). I want good quality photos AND more robust camera software. Seems like I have to choose one on the N5.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/28/ypuzuhuj.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/28/y9umamu6.jpg

How many more settings /choices do you need? This is from Better Camera.

teamnowak

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your thoughts. I'm now thinking I may wait a few months (if they do early release the G3) and get the G2 pretty cheap.

cdmta

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Isn't it already cheap? I think I saw it for free at Costco. $50 on vzw. On contract of coarse.

teamnowak

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Isn't it already cheap? I think I saw it for free at Costco. $50 on vzw. On contract of coarse.

I already have an ATT ST SIM. I will be using that and not looking for a contract. So the plan would be to buy one and then sell my N5.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I?d like some opinions. I am thinking of buying an LG G2 and selling my Nexus 5. I have had the N5 since it was released and do enjoy it. I?ve only had a couple of smartphones, and it is easily the best. Two really important features for me though are camera quality and battery life. From what I?ve seen, the G2 is similar to the N5 but with a better battery and better camera.
The G2 is better than the Nexus 5 in every way from what I have seen. The only downsides are the weird button placement and the UI...and of course you have to rely on LG for updates.

If those things don't matter to you, I don't think you'll regret the switch.

I have read some pretty scathing reviews of the LG UI though.
I have no doubt you could ROM it with a vanilla android ROM. Or even a stock G2 ROm with LG's UI removed. It's a popular phone and should get a lot of support from ROM makers.