Need a plan for my Nexus 5

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I know this question has been asked before but this stuff changes so much I wanted to get up to date info.

I need a plan for my nexus 5. I want to do a monthly (pre-paid) plan.

What is my best option if I don't talk much but want to text and use web? 100 minutes a month is more than enough.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
No brainer: T-Mobile online available only $30/month. Unlimited texts and 4G LTE data (throttled once you hit 5GB data in a month).

I've looked into it but how do you sign up for this?
On Tmobiles website it says only available in Walmart and online activations. It doesn't really say what to do.

Where do I get sim? Do i have to go to walmart then activate online somehow?

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
No. Order free SIM directly from T-Mobile and set it up yourself.
I don't think they're running a free SIM promo at the moment. However, even at $10 for a SIM, it won't take long to break even if you're like me. Most of my mobile calls are short. For long calls I want to be able to relax, maybe have a drink... :D

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Ok I went to the page to order a SIM and it asks for phone number and something about transferring your number. I don't want to transfer any number. I want to set up a new number. They aren't going to try to transfer a phone number I put in this form are they?

And will I be able to choose my area code when setting up a new phone #? Or will i have to use google voice for this later?

I'd like an area code for somewhere else (another state) where I do business. It would be nice if they didn't just assign me a number based on my location.

cheeta186

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
When I signed up for the plan it prompted me for a zip code and gave me an area code based on that area code. This was after I had received the Sim and was activating it, hope this answered your question!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Ok I went to the page to order a SIM and it asks for phone number and something about transferring your number. I don't want to transfer any number. I want to set up a new number. They aren't going to try to transfer a phone number I put in this form are they?
Are you ordering a prepaid SIM? https://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/sim-card

The only place the prepaid SIM order ask for a phone number when I tried just now is at checkout, for shipping contact #. Give them a land line # if you want...

JohnnyBroccoli

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
FYI: their throttling once you hit 5GB in a 30 day cycle is no ******* joke. Hit it for the first time the other day. Now my download speeds are at 0.06mbps and upload at just about the same. Can't even use GPS. Pretty ******* lame. Texts go through fine and web pages load decently if there aren't many pics. Probably will call them about this.

cheeta186

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
FYI: their throttling once you hit 5GB in a 30 day cycle is no ******* joke. Hit it for the first time the other day. Now my download speeds are at 0.06mbps and upload at just about the same. Can't even use GPS. Pretty ******* lame. Texts go through fine and web pages load decently if there aren't many pics. Probably will call them about this.

Why would you call them? What would you think they will tell you? You're paying $30 a month for a service and they say right in the fine print you will be restricted to 2G speeds. You're paying a very low amount for something you can easily pay more for if you need it. However I do think there should be an option to add another gig of data for a set fee, otherwise throttling if that's what the user chooses.

Edit: Kind of came off as a "richard" after reading this myself, I didn't mean it to come out that way, sorry!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

dav8388

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
I have the Walmart Family mobile. it is based on T-mobile's network. I get 4g speed, 5gb of data, unlimited text, and talk for $45 a month $25 to start. I couldn't be happier with it.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I need a plan for my nexus 5. I want to do a monthly (pre-paid) plan.

I know a lot of people have already talked about T-Mobile's prepaid plans. You may want to consider AT&T if T-Mobile doesn't work out for you.

AT&T GoPhone (website)
$60/month = Unlimited Talk, Unlimited Text, 2 GB data
$40/month = 500 minutes, Unlimited Text, 200 MB data
$30/month = 250 minutes, Unlimited Text, 50 MB data

Callingmart (website) offers discounts on refills for both T-Mobile and AT&T prepaid plans.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I know a lot of people have already talked about T-Mobile's prepaid plans. You may want to consider AT&T if T-Mobile doesn't work out for you.

AT&T GoPhone (website)
$60/month = Unlimited Talk, Unlimited Text, 2 GB data
$40/month = 500 minutes, Unlimited Text, 200 MB data
$30/month = 250 minutes, Unlimited Text, 50 MB data

Callingmart (website) offers discounts on refills for both T-Mobile and AT&T prepaid plans.

Thanks for the info. My main concern is unlimited messaging and data. I don't know how T-Mobile can offer more for half what AT&T costs. It's crazy how much cheaper T-Mobile is.

evostudios

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
If the T-Mobile plan doesn't work out for you look in to Straight Talk, it's $45/month for unlimited everything (throttled after 2.5gb) I know it's $15 more than the T-Mobile plan, but if their service is bad in your area you can get an AT&T sim through straight talk.

Posted via Android Central App

JohnnyBroccoli

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm interested what they say. I suspect they'll try to up-sell you to the $70/month full unlimited plan but I'm curious either way.

Yuuup. First ***** I talked to simply couldn't wrap their head around what I was asking (i.e. what range of data speed should I expect once throttled?) and then hung up on me after I asked to speak with someone else. Second person told me the speeds I was experiencing where exactly what I should expect. Both tried to sell me on the $70/month plan.

Will definitely be keeping a closer eye on how much data I use from here on out. It is surprising that I could use my phone for much of anything at those 2G speeds. Ended up even getting GPS to work fine.

....and to the self-indicted "Richard": I couldn't remember what the fine print was on their throttling policy and wasn't sure what the average speed of 2G was anyways. Simply wanted to find out straight from the source. Wasn't shocked when I received the info I did regardless.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I got my T-Mobile sim yesterday and set it up last night. I selected the $30 plan. Put in my info, got assigned a number, and saw my credit card did get charged. I went to use the internet on my phone and it says "You do not currently have data service". On my account when I log into t-mobile it says "You have used 100 of your 100 minutes and will now be charged $0.10/minute". Anyone know why it's acting like I don't have any data or minutes when I just paid and was charged? I previously had an AT&T sim in this phone. Does that have anything to do with it?

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info. My main concern is unlimited messaging and data. I don't know how T-Mobile can offer more for half what AT&T costs. It's crazy how much cheaper T-Mobile is.

Because T-Mobile doesn't even have half the network coverage AT&T has. It covers basically just cities and major inter-state highways. T-Mobile doesn't have the means to invest more on infrastructure building like big dogs AT&T and Verizon. So, it has to be smart on business side to attract customers. If you get decent signal where you live, you are fine.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I finally got it to work. I put in the wrong zip code for my payment so it was denying it. It was showing as pending on my credit card statement so I didn't know what was wrong. It would be nice if Tmobile told me my payment was denied. I had to call to find out.

In my area (Albuquerque) I get 5 bars LTE with Tmobile. With ATT I got 3 bars of "4g" not even LTE. So far I'm happy.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey