Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

Default Nexus 5 and Sprint

Default N5 and sprint network handover
    After the latest S5 announcement I'm now ready for the n5. I am coming from S3 on sprint and for the time being I will stay with sprint. My question is...with Samsung s3 if I install a ROM any ROM CM for example the handover between LTE 3g 2g is sluggish I believe its because of some proprioty software (though I am not sure) is this an issue with the n5? Basically is this CDMA/LTE problem or Samsung?
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 03-02-2014 at 04:32 PM.

Global Posts
    8,470 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Default Re: N5 and sprint

Quote Originally Posted by polska2180 View Post
    Default N5 and sprint network handover
    After the latest S5 announcement I'm now ready for the n5. I am coming from S3 on sprint and for the time being I will stay with sprint. My question is...with Samsung s3 if I install a ROM any ROM CM for example the handover between LTE 3g 2g is sluggish I believe its because of some proprioty software (though I am not sure) is this an issue with the n5? Basically is this CDMA/LTE problem or Samsung?
    I have the N5 on Sprint and have no issues with data on the device. I think this might also be an issue based on your area and whether the signal is good or bad, which might also reflect how smoothly the handover occurs. Did you experience the issue with Touchwiz?

I do recall issues with my S2 on Sprint, but that was fixed after a few updates following the release of the device.

By the way, Welcome to the AC Forums!

ROM
    Stock for now

I don't have a great definitive answer either way but I can share my experience with my N5 and Sprint. First of all, if you have LTE in your area, I've found the speeds to be pretty solid, and pings are better than when I had a Straight Talk ATT sim card. The short answer is really that, its a little of everything. For the most part, the handoff is pretty seamless and there is no issue. Occasionally (maybe 1x a day, maybe every other day), there will be an issue with a handoff between towers (my office is part LTE, part 3G). When that happens I get a limited to no data connection regardless of what my bars say. In these cases a quick airplane mode on/off cycle does the trick. In a final subset of instances I've noticed a "constant 3G" connection. This would be far more rare and doesn't necessarily require a airplane cycle to remedy (although it usually does the trick). Data still works so I'm less concerend.

From what I've read, there appears to be some "bugs/issues/what have you" with the radio software in the phone (which may not be impacted by the CM ROM but there are far more savvy people when it comes to ROMing that would know for sure). I believe an update is being worked on. At the end of the day the issue isn't incredibly signifcant and doesn't occur too often (in my experiences, your mileage may vary).
    Jeff
    Galaxy S3, Epic 4G Touch, Photon, Evo, Pre, Pixi, Moto Q, BB Curve, PPC-6700
    Addicted to cell phones since 1998

Because of the network upgrades, there are issues with handoffs between old 3G and Network Vision upgraded towers, but since the old towers are being phased out, that should be resolving itself soon, but that's not dependent on phone or ROM.

The only "complaint" with the N5 on sprint is you can't use phone and Data even with LTE (you can over wifi). Doesn't bother me much, but it can bother some people.

Global Posts
    20,829 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

I can verify the bad handoff from 3G to 4G. I have to turn on Airplane mode in order to help it out.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Axe

ROM
    Reborn ROM, CM9 Touchpad

The handoff still seems inconsistent in the St. Louis market, from my personal observations.