Nexus 5: Is the black soft touch delicate?

kmj2318

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
Hey. I'm about to order a Nexus 5, and I like all three of the colors but am unsure which one to get for different reasons. Nonetheless, does the soft touch finish ever deteriorate over time. It looks like it could peel or rub off pretty easily.

Last edited by a moderator:

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Is the black soft touch delicate?

Black. Naked. 3 months. Durable. Not a mark anywhere. I'd definitely do black again. Love the look and feel.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site

does the soft touch finish ever deteriorate over time. It looks like it could peel or rub off pretty easily.

That is a good question.

I can say that similar material on my Vizio TV remote turned into sticky goo after a few years. And similar material in my car has also degraded. Will this happen to the LG Nexus 5? I don't know. But in both previous examples, it took more time to deteriorate than the average life of a phone.

Brian Low

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site

nicked my n5 near the volume button on my jackets zipper and the rubbery material got chipped off. Ive been naked for a while and it was bound to happen but seems to be fine so far

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

I've had mine since release and the only damage I've sustained to it was from a small fall (I don't use a case). Otherwise, aside from getting smudged up at times and attracting lint from clothing when rubbing smudges off the screen, there's no wear and tear that's apparent from normal daily use. The black Nexus 5 is a rather solid device all around.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hey. I'm about to order a Nexus 5, and I like all three of the colors but am unsure which one to get for different reasons. Nonetheless, does the soft touch finish ever deteriorate over time. It looks like it could peel or rub off pretty easily.
No, it is very durable. I have dropped mine several times with no marks.

It does collect fingerprints but they wipe off just as easily with your own fingers. You can clean the soft touch plastic just by rubbing it with your fingers and it will look brand new.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I think it's really too early to tell. The rubberized plastic on other devices I have like remotes took a couple of years to start deteriorating, so we'll just have to keep an eye on our phones.

Posted via Android Central App

Taylor Cowan

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I've got a Volkswagen jetta and the soft touch has become a god awful mess! My nexus on the other hand is mint! I've been using it since December without a case and I don't have a single scratch. I am pretty careful with my devices but this soft touch is well done!