Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 5: Is the black soft touch delicate?

Hey. I'm about to order a Nexus 5, and I like all three of the colors but am unsure which one to get for different reasons. Nonetheless, does the soft touch finish ever deteriorate over time. It looks like it could peel or rub off pretty easily.
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 02-27-2014 at 10:53 PM.

Default Re: Is the black soft touch delicate?

Black. Naked. 3 months. Durable. Not a mark anywhere. I'd definitely do black again. Love the look and feel.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    Linux: The power beneath

Global Posts
    2,577 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kmj2318 View Post
    does the soft touch finish ever deteriorate over time. It looks like it could peel or rub off pretty easily.
    That is a good question.

I can say that similar material on my Vizio TV remote turned into sticky goo after a few years. And similar material in my car has also degraded. Will this happen to the LG Nexus 5? I don't know. But in both previous examples, it took more time to deteriorate than the average life of a phone.
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5 (T-Mobile), Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G

nicked my n5 near the volume button on my jackets zipper and the rubbery material got chipped off. Ive been naked for a while and it was bound to happen but seems to be fine so far

I've had mine since release and the only damage I've sustained to it was from a small fall (I don't use a case). Otherwise, aside from getting smudged up at times and attracting lint from clothing when rubbing smudges off the screen, there's no wear and tear that's apparent from normal daily use. The black Nexus 5 is a rather solid device all around.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,945 Global Posts
    ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

Default Re: Nexus 5: Is the black soft touch delicate?

Quote Originally Posted by kmj2318 View Post
    Hey. I'm about to order a Nexus 5, and I like all three of the colors but am unsure which one to get for different reasons. Nonetheless, does the soft touch finish ever deteriorate over time. It looks like it could peel or rub off pretty easily.
    No, it is very durable. I have dropped mine several times with no marks.

It does collect fingerprints but they wipe off just as easily with your own fingers. You can clean the soft touch plastic just by rubbing it with your fingers and it will look brand new.

I think it's really too early to tell. The rubberized plastic on other devices I have like remotes took a couple of years to start deteriorating, so we'll just have to keep an eye on our phones.

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: Nexus 5: Is the black soft touch delicate?

I've got a Volkswagen jetta and the soft touch has become a god awful mess! My nexus on the other hand is mint! I've been using it since December without a case and I don't have a single scratch. I am pretty careful with my devices but this soft touch is well done!