Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Different SMS text message app question

Regarding SMS messaging apps -

Anyone have a recommendation for an SMS messaging app that will work well on a Nexus 5 and sync to an iPad or desktop computer app?

Does Hello SMS or Textra do this?

Iím thinking here of something that would duplicate the functions of Google Voice or the iPhoneís iMessage, in that I could see all of the messages on the phone, iPad and desktop computer. I realize that even though the iPad has cellular capability, it is data only and doesn't handle SMS texts the same way that a phone does. And of course the desktop doesnít have cellular capability at all. Donít laugh if Iím missing something here Ö

Default Re: Different SMS text message app question

I think there are a few "cross platform" messaging apps. BBM being the only one I can think of off the top of my head (I don't use iOS for any messaging so pardon my ignorance) But I am not sure how they sync up with eachother without having the people you are messaging also having the same app...
    ~Keith

Nexus 5 - 4.4.2 (rooted) on T-Mobile
    Nexus 7 (2012)- 4.4.2 (rooted)

Global Posts
    109 Global Posts

Mighty Text I think does that....

Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted 4.2.1

+1 for Mighty Text

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by kd0h View Post
    I think there are a few "cross platform" messaging apps. BBM being the only one I can think of off the top of my head (I don't use iOS for any messaging so pardon my ignorance) But I am not sure how they sync up with eachother without having the people you are messaging also having the same app...
    Keith,

Thanks -- I think you have the gist of what I was (inelegantly) trying to ask. I'm not sure how Google Voice does this, but I can receive and send SMS text messages from/to others who do not have the GV app. I am using a Google Voice number, however, not my "real" cell phone number. I'm doing this to bypass Verizon's ridiculous text message charges since I have an older grandfathered Verizon cell phone plan without "free" text messages. This works, but others must use my GV number instead of my regular cell phone number to send text messages to me.

I plan to switch to AT&T's new mobile share plan that provides unlimited text messages. That allows use of the regular phone number for text messages, avoiding the need for the extra phone number. Meanwhile, I have grown to like the capability to send/receive text messages from any device, all nicely synced. A cross-platform app to do this would be nice.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by sMt73 View Post
    Mighty Text I think does that....
    Thanks, I'll give it a try.