Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By chocochip9
  • 1 Post By Chrisyouwanttoknow
  • 1 Post By krifor03
  • 1 Post By chocochip9
  • 1 Post By krifor03
  • 1 Post By TRAClE
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 5: Google photos app dimming?!

Hey guys so I couldn't find this problem on any forums...

When I open the Google photos app to view pics they appear fine and bright as usual, but when I am opening a photo from downloads and it opens in Google photos the picture goes from being bright to quickly dimming and it won't brighten up again unless I'm moving my finger across the picture.

And no it is not an auto brightness problem, it is turned off.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    Mark Sentesy and TRAClE like this.

Default Re: Google photos app dimming?!

Happening to me as well. Moto X 4.4.2 Just got this phone yesterday and updated right away. Not sure if this was there before the update. I went through all the settings in the photos app and found nothing relating to this. Any help on this would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Posted via Android Central App
    TRAClE likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chocochip9 View Post
    Hey guys so I couldn't find this problem on any forums...

When I open the Google photos app to view pics they appear fine and bright as usual, but when I am opening a photo from downloads and it opens in Google photos the picture goes from being bright to quickly dimming and it won't brighten up again unless I'm moving my finger across the picture.

And no it is not an auto brightness problem, it is turned off.

Any thoughts?

interesting, does the same form me. But why aren't you opening you're pictures in you're download folder from the photo app??? No issues that way
    TRAClE likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by krifor03 View Post
    interesting, does the same form me. But why aren't you opening you're pictures in you're download folder from the photo app??? No issues that way
    Well its comforting knowing its not just me having this problem. And I honestly don't know how to do that because it defaults to the Google photos app for downloads

TRAClE likes this.

Well its comforting knowing its not just me having this problem. And I honestly don't know how to do that because it defaults to the Google photos app for downloads

In the photo app swipe from the left, select folders, and you should see your downloads folder

Nexus 5 4.4.2
    Got sideload?
    TRAClE likes this.

I had the same problem.
    I went to:
    -Settings
    -Apps
    -Google+
    -Clear Defaults

Then go back into your messages and pull up a picture. When the prompt comes up and asks you which app you want to open the pic, choose Gallery instead of Google, and choose "Always"
    Iggymart likes this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by TRAClE View Post
    I had the same problem.
    I went to:
    -Settings
    -Apps
    -Google+
    -Clear Defaults

Then go back into your messages and pull up a picture. When the prompt comes up and asks you which app you want to open the pic, choose Gallery instead of Google, and choose "Always"
    Thank you so much!! This worked perfectly. Finally got rid of that default google + photos.

Global Posts
    206 Global Posts

Thank you so much!! This worked perfectly. Finally got rid of that default google + photos.

Yes, that works around the issue, but doesn't actually solve it. I see the issue after taking a picture in the Camera app and then viewing the pic via Photos without leaving the Camera app.

Anyone know what's causing this? I'm beginning to question the readiness/QA of some if these software releases...

Same issue on my HTC One. Began happening after a recent update. I can switch to the Gallery viewer, but for some reason I'm unable to zoom in on a picture when opened using that app. The Google photo app doesn't have this zooming issue.

Default Re: Nexus 5: Google photos app dimming?!

Same thing happening for me with a Nexus S.

Works well for me with a Galaxy S2.

I see this same issue with Photos on my Moto X. I think it may be a feature though. If you swipe horizontally (either left-to-right or right-to-left) the picture will brighten as long as you keep your finger on the screen. Just touching the screen or swiping vertically will not do it, and it will dim again as soon as you take your finger off the screen. I'm guessing it is intended as a privacy feature (just in case that picture your SO just sent you isn't one you want someone who might be looking over your shoulder to see!).

When I go into settings, apps, I don't get a Google + option , what should I do now? I'm getting really annoyed haha