At this very moment I am in a hotel in Bologna, Italy. The hotel has building-wide Wi-Fi access.
My Nexus 5 sees the network (which is unprotected, by the way) and will "save" the network but will not connect to it even though it says signal strength is excellent.
My Samsung Galaxy Tab II is a bit more helpful perhaps in that it tries to obtain an IP address and then says, "Network disabled because Internet connection is slow."
And yet, I often see people in the lobby using laptops presumably on Wi-Fi. Why are they getting this to work while I fail with two different devices?
"Avoid poor connections" is unchecked on the Nexus 5; I don't see a similar option on the Tab II.
- 03-01-2014, 03:14 PM #2"The glow of one warm thought is to me worth more than money." - Thomas Jefferson
My One X has served its time...now it's the Note 4's turn
- 03-01-2014, 03:21 PM #3
Re: Wi-Fi curiosity
It's not a huge deal since I have a local SIM card with data access; I just want to understand why the Wi-Fi isn't working. BTW, I am an IT professional who does this stuff for a living so I have a pretty good idea of what should work and how to make it so...
- 03-01-2014, 03:45 PM #6
Re: Wi-Fi curiosity
I have had this before, in Hotels in the States. Some device's just will not work with the Hotel login page. Not a fan of Hotel Wifi...Not secure and too slow.
There still may be a work around, but using a laptop is the easiest solution.
Oh and I connect to unprotected wifi spots at a few places where I download podcasts. No issues. Unprotected, but not Hotels spots.N5 Black 32GB (4.4.4), N4 (4.4.4), iphone 5 (ios 8), ONE+64GB, N7(5.0 "L") AT&T The Nexus 5 is so fast...I just finished the internet...The ending wasn't great...
- 03-01-2014, 04:00 PM #7
- By LimuHead in forum T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note 3Replies: 1Last Post: 02-28-2014, 08:37 PM
- By dimm0k in forum Samsung Galaxy S4Replies: 0Last Post: 02-27-2014, 11:23 PM
- By AndroidBIO in forum Moto X (2013)Replies: 1Last Post: 02-23-2014, 12:02 AM
- By James Francis1 in forum LG Optimus LReplies: 1Last Post: 02-20-2014, 11:13 PM
- By psalamon in forum AT&T Galaxy NoteReplies: 1Last Post: 02-20-2014, 03:28 PM