Nexus 5 Speaker Volume (Possible purchase)

pagemaster1978

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone, this is my first post.

I am planning to replace my Nexus i9250 phone, I smashed the screen so it is time for an update.

I am looking at a Google Nexus 5, Best Buy will price match the Google Play store and over a 10% difference on the price match for a cost of $334+ tax unlocked, this price cannot be beat.

Now, I am concerned about the volume level of the speaker, the current speaker I have is not good.

Is the volume level on the Nexus 5 anywhere near as good as the iPhone 5? (I consider the iPhone 5 the bench mark for speaker volume)

Thanks a lot
Page

jrvtecaccord

May 12, 2012
Visit site
I have a IP 5c for work and the N5 for personal and I prefer the speaker on the N5. The 5c tends to get muddy at higher volume. Its not the loudest, but it gets the job done.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Its as loud as my i5...Loud enough that you may have to lower the volume. Not for calls maybe, but if its laying on a table playing Pandora...Its loud.

pagemaster1978

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Its as loud as my i5...Loud enough that you may have to lower the volume. Not for calls maybe, but if its laying on a table playing Pandora...Its loud.

I have a IP 5c for work and the N5 for personal and I prefer the speaker on the N5. The 5c tends to get muddy at higher volume. Its not the loudest, but it gets the job done.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the responses, how does it compare to the Nexus 4 or i9250 speaker? I can barely hear those.

Doom4life

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I actually own the Galaxy Nexus (i9250), Nexus 4 and Nexus 5.

The speaker on the Galaxy Nexus was pathetically sad and one of the few complaints I had with the phone. However, starting with the Nexus 4, speaker volume has not been an issue.

I find the Nexus 4 to be slightly louder then the Nexus 5, BUT it tends to slightly distort and sound tinny compared to the Nexus 5 so I rarely used it at max volume.

The speaker on the iPhone 5 is better then the above devices in loudness and clarity IMO, but for me its a non issue as I rarely use my phone on its own for music (headphones or bluetooth with my home audio system).

Get the Nexus 5, its a huge upgrade compared to the Galaxy Nexus.

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the responses, how does it compare to the Nexus 4 or i9250 speaker? I can barely hear those.
Are we talking calls or speaker volume. I can hear the N4 fine...So if thats the case the N5 may be a problem for you.

When the HTC One and S4 became available I compared them to what I had on hand at the store. They crushed the GN but there was surprisingly not that much of a difference in volume between the N4. The HTC just sounded higher in quality.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Is the volume level on the Nexus 5 anywhere near as good as the iPhone 5? (I consider the iPhone 5 the bench mark for speaker volume)
The volume is decent, but not super loud. And it depends on how you hold it...it is on the bottom of the phone, so if that is facing away from you the volume is noticeably lower. IMO it's loud enough, but I would say it is far from the loudest.

- - - Updated - - -

It is not quite as loud as the Nexus 4 but a lot clearer.