mm-qcamera-daemon

y2whisper

Trusted Member
Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
Is yahoo messenger installed? I have seen it cause that issue in the past. If you do, try uninstalling and see if that helps.

Zense

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, I did a factory reset and before adding any apps back it has occurred again. As camanokid pointed out, opening the camera app did cause the service to start and not stop and eat up about 60% of battery in less than 30 minutes. /sigh I guess I must be patient or switch back to my old phone temporarily.

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I also uninstalled Skype as I noticed it had an update (Feb. 18) right around the time I noticed this issue. Will be keeping an eye on battery usage to see it this fixes the problem.

cguella

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
I had the same problem but factory reset was the only solution.
Posted via Android Central App

Corrected: "I had the same problem but factory reset was the only [temporary] solution."

This needs a real fix. The hassle of factory reset is not acceptable and does not fix the issue. My battery was at 140 F likely from this issue. And battery life is now < 3 hours. Nightmare.

Zense

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
UPDATE:
Updates:

Comment #475 on issue 60058 by etalv...@google.com: mm-qcamera-daemon cpu usage
Issue 60058 - android - mm-qcamera-daemon cpu usage - Android Open Source Project - Issue Tracker - Google Project Hosting

Thanks, everyone, for reporting about this problem.

We believe we have fixes for the current high CPU reports on N5 due to mm-qcamera-daemon, and they will be included in the next maintenance update. At this point, we don't need more reports of the problem, with some exceptions I'll detail below.

More details:

We've had scattered reports of persistent high CPU usage of mm-qcamera-daemon since our last maintenance update, and based on those, found a number of bugs that were then fixed.

More recently, there's been a significant increase in the frequency of reported problems. These may be related to a recent update to Skype, which seems to access the camera regularly from its background service in some way that triggers this bug (note, we don't currently believe there's a bug in Skype itself). Investigating this, we've identified a few additional fixes that we hope resolve this issue for good. However, since the high CPU usage is an intermittent problem, we're continuing to test our fixes to verify the problems are gone.

Unfortunately, I can't provide an estimate for when the maintenance update will be ready, due to all the testing we need to do for this and other fixes. Until then, rebooting the phone is the only way to stop the high CPU usage/lack of camera function once it starts.

Uninstalling Skype may substantially reduce the likelihood of this bug appearing, but I realize Skype is a very important application for many people. Other camera-using applications may trigger this bug as well, but that's been relatively rare. Most applications also do not access the camera when not in the foreground, so they will only trigger issues when actively used.

I'd also like to note that instances of high CPU use of mm-qcamera-daemon on other devices besides the N5 need to be reported to their manufacturers
- while those devices also use a Qualcomm chip for their camera processing (and thus have a mm-qcamera-daemon process), each has differences in their software and issues with them do not necessarily mean the N5 has the same problem, and vice versa.

If you are seeing high CPU use of mm-qcamera-daemon, and you have not used the camera at all, or installed an application like Skype that has a background service that accesses the camera (typically, applications that provide video chat may do this), we would like to know about it.

Otherwise, for Skype and other typical camera applications, we believe we have fixes identified, and you don't need to add more information to this bug - remember, any note added here will send updates to dozens of people.

huskysdg

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
UPDATE 2014/03/07

Project Member #541 etalv...@google.com
Thanks for all the reports. Due to the volume of comments being added to this bug, I'm going to close it to further comments. We know that this is a significant issue for many.

Again, while Skype increases the likelihood of this bug happening, any camera use can trigger it, so even if you remove Skype as a workaround, the drain may recur (but much less often).

If you're seeing battery drain issues on Nexus devices, and there's no mm-qcamera-daemon listed in the battery stats page, please open a new bug. If you're seeing issues on non-Nexus devices, please contact the manufacturer of your device.

George S2

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
I heard that Google created the bug in order to force users to install a system update that has received a lot of complaints. So many people were complaining about Google's latest system update (adding more advertisements, draining battery life, defaulting paid apps to turn on) that they were turning off their auto update. Google couldn't allow that, so they created this bug where the only fix is to install their update or the alternative is a phone that drains battery so fast that the phone overheats. Proof: If this bug were created by anyone outside of Google, the first thing they would have done was identify the culprit and told users not to download the app. Instead, the fix they are pushing is a factory reset, to again force out their latest system upgrade, as well as to reinstall all those nuisance pre-installed apps that everyone immediately deletes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles