Need help deciding on phones!

rrballer11

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
I'm waiting for the HTC ONE to come out 3/25. So I can compare, If i see it isn't a huge deal I will get the Nexus 5. I am also debating that if I do go the Nexus route, I can pretty much get the Nexus 5 for $350, and by the end of the year use my T-Mobile jump to get the newer Nexus 6? If the Nexus 6 is also in the $350 price range "I HOPE" I would be getting 2 phones for the price of 1 expensive one. Nexus is pretty equivalent overall to those $600 devices anyways.... & full Google experience,quick,fast,no-bloat... fast updates.

Edit: I don't care about finger print gimmicks ect.. that doesn't make the actual phone better.

Give me your thoughts..

Savaii

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
OK. So if I got this correct, what you value in a phone is:
  • Price
  • Ease of use
  • No Bloatware
Based on these three things, your best choice of the two phones (HTC ONE vs Nexus5) is the...*drumroll*
google-nexus-5-01.jpg
The specs on the Nexus 5 are better IMO. For a comparison of the two phones, click here.
Why I suggest you get the Nexus 5 vs the HTC ONE:
  • Bigger screen (4.95 inches)
  • Corning Gorilla Glass 3 (vs GG2 on HTC One)
  • 8 MP rear-facing camera (vs 4MP)
  • Comes with Android 4.4 installed (arguably easier to upgrade because it is a Google (first party?) phone)
  • Internal CPU is faster
I won't make a case for the HTC-One because, to be honest, I don't like it. :p

That's my 2 cents.

Last edited:

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Specs wise the new HTC one will either get the Snapdragon 800 or 801 like the S5 will and while yes the 801 is "better" it is a minor upgrade soc and isn't something to worry about imo. The nexus 5 has a snapdragon 800 cpu, 2gb or Ram , 32gb of Ram ( I personally feel 16gb is to small). and a 5 inch screen ( technically 4.95 ). It will be good for at least 2-3 years and even for the price difference I would get the nexus 5 over the new HTC one that is going to come out

vividrich

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I half thought about waiting for the new One as well but the whole lack of bloat (especially of the carrier variety) and the price /value equation settled it. We're on AT&T. I might well recommend the One to my wife if she tires of her phone as I imagine it's going to be a fine device.

But the Nexus won out for me, and I had to overcome a negative bias against LG earned by poor experiences with two phones, a monitor and a Blu Ray player. It seems they've righted the hardware ship though, at least with phones....

Posted from my Nexus 7 2013 via Android Central App

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm waiting for the HTC ONE to come out 3/25. So I can compare, If i see it isn't a huge deal I will get the Nexus 5. I am also debating that if I do go the Nexus route, I can pretty much get the Nexus 5 for $350, and by the end of the year use my T-Mobile jump to get the newer Nexus 6? If the Nexus 6 is also in the $350 price range "I HOPE" I would be getting 2 phones for the price of 1 expensive one. Nexus is pretty equivalent overall to those $600 devices anyways.... & full Google experience,quick,fast,no-bloat... fast updates.

Edit: I don't care about finger print gimmicks ect.. that doesn't make the actual phone better.

Give me your thoughts..
The new One and S5 will both be better than the Nexus 5 in most ways. The only real downsides are having to deal with Sense/Touchwiz, and slower updates (and probably a shorter update life for both). There is a lot to be said about vanilla Android IMO. I personally don't think I could ever tolerate a vendor UI again.

So all that being said, the Nexus 5 is still an excellent phone. It is very fast, has a great camera, and a nice display. So if you must have the bleeding edge in hardware, get the new HTC or Samsung. Otherwise get a Nexus.

rrballer11

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
The new One and S5 will both be better than the Nexus 5 in most ways. The only real downsides are having to deal with Sense/Touchwiz, and slower updates (and probably a shorter update life for both). There is a lot to be said about vanilla Android IMO. I personally don't think I could ever tolerate a vendor UI again.

So all that being said, the Nexus 5 is still an excellent phone. It is very fast, has a great camera, and a nice display. So if you must have the bleeding edge in hardware, get the new HTC or Samsung. Otherwise get a Nexus.

Believe it or not, the differences of the current s5 and nexus 5 arent huge! Most are gimmicks useless features, compared to the nexus, it isnt wrong another $350 , I dont care about fingerprint sensor. The expandable memory and little upgrade on camera isnt worth that.

Posted via Android Central App

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Believe it or not, the differences of the current s5 and nexus 5 arent huge!
I am the biggest Nexus fanboy on this board, but even I have to admit the S5 is dramatically better in a lot of ways. The camera is the main one. It does HDR in real-time with double the MP count, and double the framerate on 1080 video. I am betting it has better lowlight as well.

I still would not buy it, but not because it sucks, but because better hardware will be released shortly after it is. I will not be buying another phone with a single camera...my next phone will have dual cameras and probably optical zoom. - Corephotonic Dual-Camera Puts Optical Zoom on Phones - Videos - Boston.com

rrballer11

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
I am the biggest Nexus fanboy on this board, but even I have to admit the S5 is dramatically better in a lot of ways. The camera is the main one. It does HDR in real-time with double the MP count, and double the framerate on 1080 video. I am betting it has better lowlight as well.

I still would not buy it, but not because it sucks, but because better hardware will be released shortly after it is. I will not be buying another phone with a single camera...my next phone will have dual cameras and probably optical zoom. - Corephotonic Dual-Camera Puts Optical Zoom on Phones - Videos - Boston.com

Yeah, basically the main thing is the camera, water resistance, SD card. but remember is that worth the extra $350? The NEW HTC ONE is Dual Camera, this is why i will wait to see what surprises they have.... I did want the metal body but hey its not a big deal.. Camera and Build is the only difference and NOT worth the extra $350.. but when the new nexus 6 comes around ill use that extra money on it. I'm I right?

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, basically the main thing is the camera, water resistance, SD card. but remember is that worth the extra $350?
Yeah, it would be to me. I could have used the water resistance on my vacation. That would have saved me $420 right there.

The NEW HTC ONE is Dual Camera, this is why i will wait to see what surprises they have....
And it has SD. And no hardware buttons. And Stereo Speakers. A GPE HTC One 2014 might be the first real alternative to a Nexus I have seen in years. HTC is FINALLY making some good decisions. Better late than never, but it may not be enough to save them at this point. They should have made all these changes with the 2013 One.

I did want the metal body but hey its not a big deal.. Camera and Build is the only difference and NOT worth the extra $350.. but when the new nexus 6 comes around ill use that extra money on it. I'm I right?
The Nexus 6 is likely to have all this stuff. Probably a better camera than either Samsung or HTC. But it won't be out till this fall at the earliest, and it is not guaranteed there will even be another Nexus.

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
The new One and S5 will both be better than the Nexus 5 in most ways.

Better by a hair. The 801 architecture is virtually identical to the 800. The only difference there is a small overclock which offers maybe a 2% increase in performance (doesn't matter to me as I have the N5 underclocked). 2GB of RAM is still the norm for this generation. The screen compared to the S5 is the same as comparing it to the S4. If you like Super AMOLED, then it's a better screen. If not, the Nexus 5 is some of the best LCD tech I have seen. Software wise, I think the Nexus 5 wins by default but that could be different per person. Though, again, those same people would have chosen the S4 over the Nexus 5 before the S5 announcement.

While I do see that the S5 is a great phone, I don't see myself ever picking - even considering - it or any other phone for that matter over the N5. I see the allure for some people though. Some of the software features are neat and it has expandable storage (128GB with the new SanDisk cards) but the bloatware, lesser support, and much slower updates makes it an unattractive device for me. The GPE version will be interesting though.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

rrballer11

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, it would be to me. I could have used the water resistance on my vacation. That would have saved me $420 right there.

And it has SD. And no hardware buttons. And Stereo Speakers. A GPE HTC One 2014 might be the first real alternative to a Nexus I have seen in years. HTC is FINALLY making some good decisions. Better late than never, but it may not be enough to save them at this point. They should have made all these changes with the 2013 One.

The Nexus 6 is likely to have all this stuff. Probably a better camera than either Samsung or HTC. But it won't be out till this fall at the earliest, and it is not guaranteed there will even be another Nexus.

I hope there is a Nexus 6? , there're alot of rumors. & Yes, the HTC ONE is really good, "BUT" Do you like htc sense? "almost" no update support? not vanilla andriod? Im going to wait to see what they have to offer, I love the metal build, and the camera is going to be amazing, but lets see if its worth the money. I know its going to blow the S5 out of the water.

rrballer11

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Stupid question: If you buy the nexus off a carrier, it still gets dirrect google updates correct? or do i have to wait for the carrier to push it?

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I hope there is a Nexus 6?
So do I, but a lot of rumors say that Google is ending the Nexus line this year. That does not mean we will not still have Nexus-like devices, just that they may not be Google-produced phones.

Yes, the HTC ONE is really good, "BUT" Do you like htc sense?
I despise Sense. I had the HTC Rezound for almost 2 years...I went to great lengths to try to cleanse my phone of Sense, but it persisted like a drug resistant virus. I hate Touchwiz even worse, and for all the same reasons.

In HTC's defense, they have been gradually reducing the visibility of Sense. But that is like saying "We've been gradually reducing the amount of Feces in your chili...our new 2014 chili has the least amount of feces in it ever". They need to just go vanilla android IMO. GPEs are the next best thing though.

I know its going to blow the S5 out of the water.
We'll see. We already know for sure that the S5 will have a removable battery and water proofing...The new HTC may not have either.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MOSHE TVITO