Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By B. Diddy
  • 2 Post By Golfdriver97
  • 1 Post By srkmagnus
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 5: Suggested reboot interval

When I had my Tmobile Galaxy S3, I would get messages if my device hadn't been rebooted within the last 7 days. It was just a suggestion, but it explained that frequent reboots were recommended to fix issues here and there. As for my phone if I didn't restart it in 7 days, I definitely noticed problems cropping up.

I am currently at 700+ hours of uptime on my Nexus 5. I am surprised at how few problems I am having. The only one I really know of is a problem with GPS sticking. I visited Little Rock over the weekend and for some reason my apps that check location were still thinking I was there. I couldn't even get Maps to find me. I cleared the cache for Maps and its back to normal now.

Anyway, I was just wondering how often everyone reboots their phones to fix issues here and there. I come from the Unix/Linux world and don't care much for having to reboot/restart my phone to fix issues that could probably be fixed by better app development or QA.
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 03-08-2014 at 08:42 PM.
    Linux: The power beneath

Global Posts
    2,469 Global Posts

Default Re: Suggested reboot interval

Quote Originally Posted by zatarregaza View Post
    Anyway, I was just wondering how often everyone reboots their phones to fix issues here and there
    I have never rebooted my Nexus 5 yet. But I have only had it a few weeks, too
    There is no need to reboot unless there is some problem

I come from the Unix/Linux world and don't care much for having to reboot/restart
    As do I. My uptimes are typically measured in months and sometimes years. We Linuxen people are spoiled.
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5 (T-Mobile), Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G

Yeah, I agree--I don't reboot unless there's something funky going on (which is very rare if at all with my Nexus 5). It's nice that the N5 boots up so quickly, though, so reboots aren't as tedious as they used to be with my Razr Maxx.
    srkmagnus likes this.

Global Posts
    20,829 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

I am still in the habit of once a month clearing cache on my devices so no matter what after 30 days, all my devices get rebooted.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    srkmagnus and dancing-bass like this.

My phone will show low storage space if i let it go much past a month.
    tgp

Global Posts
    2,555 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zatarregaza View Post
    When I had my Tmobile Galaxy S3, I would get messages if my device hadn't been rebooted within the last 7 days. It was just a suggestion, but it explained that frequent reboots were recommended to fix issues here and there.
    That reboot message comes from the T-Mobile app. I used the app on my Nexus 4 & then Nexus 5 when I was on T-Mobile, but I turned the message off.

Speaking of uptime, I got over 1,100 hours on my Nexus 4, and over 1,000 on my Nexus 5.
    Current lineup: Nexus 5 (primary device), Lumia 920, Moto G, and Lumia 520. There, I did it; I updated my signature!

I rebooted mine everyday with auto On/Off in Android system settings. When I sleep my Android sleep too ha.

Sent from my Lenovo A390_ROW using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    8,460 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

I have no regular schedule when it comes to rebooting my device. As mentioned above, it might be best to do so if you start having issues. Sometimes I'll just do it just to reboot if I don't recall doing so for some time.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    Golfdriver97 likes this.

Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.4 KitKat

I advocate rebooting at least a few times a week. Also reboot my Ubuntu server at least once a quarter(3 months).

Posted via Serenity
    N5 Black 32GB 4.4.4(I love this thing!!), N4 (4.4.4), iphone 5, ONE+64GB N7(4.4.4) AT&T The Nexus 5 is so fast...I just finished the internet...The ending wasn't great...

Default Re: Nexus 5: Suggested reboot interval

I reboot my phone after installing or updating apps.

I do it at least twice a week. In my opinion not doing so invites trouble. Even on perfect hardware running perfect software in a perfect world, mistakes happen and electrons get 'shuffled' around in the wrong order occasionally (sorry for the hardware geeks out there - trying to make things simple ). Obviously we don't live in a perfect world and hardware/firmware developers have safeties and counter measures for this, but I always like to give it a fresh start twice a week. Makes me feel better.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    -Retired -
    8GB Toshiba Thrive
    AT&T Apple iPhone 3G
    AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-i777

-Current-
    Google Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Apple iPad 4 64GB Black

"As needed" is the best advice. It doesn't hurt, but usually it's mostly helpful when there's a runaway service or something isn't working right.

Or you're doing something that requires a reboot.

My Galaxy Nexus seems happiest if it gets a reboot every 2-3 days. Once a week I'll boot into recovery and clear the cache. Once a month I'll clear dalvic and cache. It's the only way to keep this old beast stable.
    "I can only see half of what's going on
    But i'm alright
    'Cause I can still smile"

Wide Mouth Mason - Smile
    Axe

ROM
    Reborn ROM, CM9 Touchpad

Are reboots needed on all N5 phones with Sprint service? Seems like fallback doesn't want to easily change back to LTE from 3G in the case of low service signal or phone calls, which causes battery drain. Reboots fix it for now, but I'm guessing an update will roll out at some point.

Global Posts
    20,829 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Are reboots needed on all N5 phones with Sprint service? Seems like fallback doesn't want to easily change back to LTE from 3G in the case of low service signal or phone calls, which causes battery drain. Reboots fix it for now, but I'm guessing an update will roll out at some point.
    I have had a hard time with the handoff from 3G to 4G on both my devices. Placing the device in Airplane Mode for about 15 seconds helps. and it isn't a reboot.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Haven't had that issue but I rarely use 4G.

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    I have had a hard time with the handoff from 3G to 4G on both my devices. Placing the device in Airplane Mode for about 15 seconds helps. and it isn't a reboot.
    It shouldn't need to be in airplane mode so long. Quickly tap airplane mode on and off which resets the radio.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    -Retired -
    8GB Toshiba Thrive
    AT&T Apple iPhone 3G
    AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-i777

-Current-
    Google Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Apple iPad 4 64GB Black