Nexus 5 connecting as "Wireless-G" on Linksys E1000 N router

korab84

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone know why my Nexus 5 is showing as "Wireless-G" on my Linksys E1000 N150 router? When I switched the mode to N-Only inside the router my Nexus 5 wouldn't connect to it at all; when I switched it to Mixed Mode it connects as G. Nexus 5 is compatible with the wireless N technology and my wireless router has ots latest firmware.

Is my router at fault (for being somewhat old) or is it my phone's fault?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I answered your other post about the G2 connecting as wireless G, and only realized now that you posted this question as well. If the same problem is having with two phones that clearly have wireless N capability, then the problem has to be with the router. Have you rebooted it? If that didn't help, then I would consider a full reset of the router--look at its manual to learn how.

korab84

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
I answered your other post about the G2 connecting as wireless G, and only realized now that you posted this question as well. If the same problem is having with two phones that clearly have wireless N capability, then the problem has to be with the router. Have you rebooted it? If that didn't help, then I would consider a full reset of the router--look at its manual to learn how.

I did reboot the router + reset it to factory defaults (I backup the configuration before doing it, then restored them) and still the router's showing my Nexus 5 as wireless G; the link speed, on the phone, says "54Mbps" which is the G type...I opened another thread on the LG G2, with the same text, because my work phone is the G2 and it's doing the same thing with the wireless G on the wi-fi router.

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Time for a new router. I have an ASUS RTAC66U 802.11AC router. On the 5G channel I've measured the performance to my LAN at 270MBit/second and 150MBit/second to the Internet (I have FIOS). On the 2.4G channel I only get 45 MBits/second on Speedtest.

korab84

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Time for a new router. I have an ASUS RTAC66U 802.11AC router. On the 5G channel I've measured the performance to my LAN at 270MBit/second and 150MBit/second to the Internet (I have FIOS). On the 2.4G channel I only get 45 MBits/second on Speedtest.

Yeah, I figured that I may need a new router. The Asus one you have is way too expensive for me; I would get a mid-range N router either from Linksys, Belkin, or Netgear.