Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By UJ95x
  • 2 Post By crxssi
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default One phone, multiple carriers.

So, I've been searching a lot of threads under the Nexus 5 category and I haven't found one that answers a question I have so I'm starting a new post. Why is it that the Nexus 5 when bought from the Google Play Store works on Sprint, T-Mobile, and AT&T? I thought it was impossible for GSM and CDMA to co-exist on the same phone but the Nexus 5 does it w/o batting an eyelash? So why aren't all phones sold in the Google Play Store built with the same feature?

Global Posts
    4,693 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Kitkat

Default Re: One phone, multiple carriers.

Quote Originally Posted by achacon77 View Post
    So, I've been searching a lot of threads under the Nexus 5 category and I haven't found one that answers a question I have so I'm starting a new post. Why is it that the Nexus 5 when bought from the Google Play Store works on Sprint, T-Mobile, and AT&T? I thought it was impossible for GSM and CDMA to co-exist on the same phone but the Nexus 5 does it w/o batting an eyelash? So why aren't all phones sold in the Google Play Store built with the same feature?
    The radios inside it support multiple bands. I believe it is the CPU that is responsible for that.
    Retired Ambassador

Global Posts
    10,443 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 5.0.1

The Nexus 5 supports a lot more bands than most phones, which allows it to be used on most carriers.
    Also, Google doesn't do anything to the GPE phones, so it's up to the OEMs to make the phones GSM/CDMA-compatible. Whereas Google has control over what bands the Nexus 5 will or will not support

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    wizzrah likes this.

The N5 is the only phone outside of Sprint's version of the S4 (and maybe the iPhone) that can use a SIM to work on either a CDMA or GSM network. Google did it in order to not tie the phone to a specific carrier, and not leave any carrier out (though Verizon has chosen not to use the N5 I think).

It works great on sprint, though you can't use LTE and make a call at the same time (something you can do on most LTE sprint phones).
    Axe

Carrier
    Reborn ROM, CM9 Touchpad

Quote Originally Posted by Bront View Post
    The N5 is the only phone outside of Sprint's version of the S4 (and maybe the iPhone) that can use a SIM to work on either a CDMA or GSM network. Google did it in order to not tie the phone to a specific carrier, and not leave any carrier out (though Verizon has chosen not to use the N5 I think).

It works great on sprint, though you can't use LTE and make a call at the same time (something you can do on most LTE sprint phones).
    I think a post somewhere mentioned how the Verizon iPhone 5s is SIM unlocked for possible GSM usage.

Global Posts
    1,004 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Bront View Post
    The N5 is the only phone outside of Sprint's version of the S4 (and maybe the iPhone) that can use a SIM to work on either a CDMA or GSM network.
    Phones like the Galaxy S4, Photon etc on Sprint can connect to GSM networks. But Sprint has gotten it locked down so that it won't connect to GSM networks in the US. When I had the S4, I used to swap the SIM card on the S4 to the local SIM of the country that I was visiting, and it worked just fine. It just won't work on US based GSM networks (like ATT/T-Mo).
    Linux: The power beneath

Global Posts
    2,990 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    The Nexus 5 supports a lot more bands than most phones, which allows it to be used on most carriers.
    Isn't it wonderful? It is the way ALL phones should have been for YEARS. Consumers should have access to good, high-end, reasonably priced phones that work on any carrier and are unlocked and unmolested by the carriers. We can only hope it is a trend that will continue.... but it won't come from the carriers, themselves.
    achacon77 and IAmSixNine like this.
    Retired Ambassador

Global Posts
    10,443 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 5.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    Isn't it wonderful? It is the way ALL phones should have been for YEARS. Consumers should have access to good, high-end, reasonably priced phones that work on any carrier and are unlocked and unmolested by the carriers. We can only hope it is a trend that will continue.... but it won't come from the carriers, themselves.
    Google doesn't rely on hardware sales to make a profit, that's why they don't sell the Nexus products for profit

Linux: The power beneath

Global Posts
    2,990 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Google doesn't rely on hardware sales to make a profit, that's why they don't sell the Nexus products for profit
    While that is true, it doesn't mean that other manufacturers who would be interested in profit couldn't do the same thing. Although each unit might be a bit more expensive by having additional radio support, it also means a possible huge savings in creating, stocking, updating, and supporting umpteen variations on the same phone.

As far as cost, I think that is more greed by the carriers than the manufacturers. The N5 is about $200 less than a comparable phone through a carrier, and I really don't think the manufacturer makes that much money per unit. Plus, you can rest assured LG is already making profit in making the N5, even if Google isn't...
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

I appreciate all the input. I'm a first time Nexus owner and I really do love the Nexus 5 and I hope the trend continues with the next Nexus and even the GPE devices. It's such a great feature it include and opens the door to many possibilities.

Nexus 7 2013
    Retired Ambassador

Global Posts
    10,443 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 5.0.1

I appreciate all the input. I'm a first time Nexus owner and I really do love the Nexus 5 and I hope the trend continues with the next Nexus and even the GPE devices. It's such a great feature it include and opens the door to many possibilities.

Nexus 7 2013
    I'm sure the Nexus line will continue the trend, but it's unlikely to happen with the GPE phones

Global Posts
    82 Global Posts

So does this mean you could use the nexus 5 like a prepaid phone simply inserting the sim card?

Global Posts
    178 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ongre10 View Post
    So does this mean you could use the nexus 5 like a prepaid phone simply inserting the sim card?
    Yup, I'm doing that right now.

Sent from my mobile device using an app.