Nexus 5: died and it won't turn on

Angiemull

Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
Mine switched off on me this morning and it was nearly on full charge. I pressed the power and volume button up and down a few times and ites now working, thank you so much. x:)

Abdellah Moawin

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
Hello .i have the same problem too with my nexus 5 was water damaged i have cleaned it with isopropyl 2 times and put the phone about 5 days in the rice but still not power on when i plugg it with a Charger the battery charges but no power on any suggestions ?

Nida sweet

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
my phone lg nexus 5 just died 1 year ago...I charging my phone and chat with my frnds bt suddenly switch of my phone and flash light is on to screen so I re set boost setting...bt in some tym my phn was hang and switch off I try to switch on again bt its didn't work so I charge again my phone in some hours bt was didn't work and its too much hot in screen....
can any body help to re start my phone again. plzzz
can I start my phone again?

Last edited:

Gabriel Gratival

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
My nexus died too but it is showing the name "Google" for 1 sec and than turns off for more 2 sec.
When I press power-vol up and down it shows the boot menu for one sec and it turns off again. =/
Some one can help me with this?

Gabriel Gratival

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
My nexus died too. However, when I put it to charge it is showing the name "Google" for 1 sec and than turns off for more 2 sec.
When I press power-vol up and down it shows the boot menu for one sec and it turns off again. =/
I cannot turn it on when it is not charging
Someone can help me with this?

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
My nexus died too. However, when I put it to charge it is showing the name "Google" for 1 sec and than turns off for more 2 sec.

Maybe it needs a new battery?

Oct 5, 2015
Visit site
I had both problems.
So, the one starting up until Google word and turning off and on again - it's a start button problem. For me - it was solved after I opened it and put a paper in the power button. But only for few weeks. Then, it start doing the same again, and I had to send it to repair. They didn't even charge me and fixed it.

Then I have the turning off without reason, mainly with Facebook app when trying to open and type the keyboard, not games at all. The phone turns off and starts heating infinitely and cannot turn on, cannot factory reset, cannot do a thing until it has finished the battery and in some days in the refrigerator (4 dC, try not to get it wet), it's gonna be able to restart. Even so, I replaced again and LG didn't charge again.

Just to notice, those things happened exactly after launching the new Google Nexus phones... I think they're starting to be as dishonest as apple.

Never Nexus Again!

Davidgeorgeca

Jan 31, 2016
Visit site
I got the exact same problem with my nexus 5. Have you solved your problem? Thanks.

smacksshadow

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
If your phone won't turn on or charge and was previously involved in water damage, you are out of luck. Your phone is most likely not repairable and possibly not worth the cost if it was repairable. Neither would it pass for warranty repair.

For those of you who just recently dropped the phone, and after that it started behaving this way ... then you are likely in need of a new LCD screen, or best case scenario you might open the phone and find a loose connector. (But before resorting to looking for repairs, still try the below suggestions).

For everyone else who just randomly got struck with this situation, try these suggestions:

1.) First in order to rule out screen damage, hold your Power button for 10 seconds. Wait 60 seconds. Turn the volume button down then up -- you're looking to try and get the phone to make a sound. (Repeat this process twice -- in case the starting state of the phone was ON rather than OFF). If it does make a sound, your screen needs to be replaced. Find a replacement LCD online for $40 and fix it yourself or look to go to a shop to fix it. If it doesn't make sound, then continue down the list.

2.) Try a new charging cable and or a different wall outlet. Leave it 'charging' with the new charger or outlet at least 15 minutes. Then, disconnect the charger for 10 seconds, and then reconnect and let it charge for another minute. Hold the Power button for 10 seconds.

3.) Connect your Nexus 5 to a PC or Laptop using a reliable charging cable
a.) Check to see if your PC at least recognizes the Nexus 5 (a message will popup in the bottom right corner -- Windows). If the phone is working (but just stuck in this weird state) the computer will detect the phone nearly right away. If it does recognize the phone, hold the power button for 10 seconds while it is charging from the computer.
b.) If it doesn't detect it right away, then leave it plugged into the PC for at least 15 minutes. Disconnect the charger and then reconnect it 10 seconds later. Let the phone sit charging for another minute. Hold the power button for 10 seconds while it is charging from the computer.

4.) If none of the above suggestions have worked yet, then its time to turn your phone into an old school video game controller and start punchin' in some 'cheat codes'. Since no one can come to decision on which pattern works for which device model, let's try each pattern. While the phone is charging;
a.) Press and hold, simultaneously, the Power button + the Volume Up + Down button for 10 seconds.
b.) Press and hold, simultaneously, the Power button + the Volume Up button for 10 seconds.
c.) Press and hold, simultaneously, the Power button + the Volume Down button for 10 seconds.

5.) If you got to this point and still haven't solved your problem ... you're probably screwed. There is one last ditch effort however; leave your phone charging in a reliable outlet, using a reliable charger for at least an hour. Disconnect the charger for 10 seconds, and then reconnect and let it charge for another minute. Hold the Power button for 10 seconds.

If everything fails, then the only logical reasons (from a technical standpoint) would be that either your battery is completely done, the charging port flex cable is damaged, or the motherboard has to be replaced. To figure out which is the culprit you will need to take apart the phone and use a volt meter to measure and see if the battery is holding any charge, or if the charging port flex cable is passing current. The battery or charging port flex cable is about $15 each while the motherboard is about $80. If it is the motherboard, the phone is 'totaled' and not worth the repair.

Note: If you are not good with small electronics, then do not attempt repairing anything yourself. But if you are brave, have still hands, and good with being neat and organized ( ... lots of small screws and parts ... ) then go on YouTube and watch a full deconstruction and reconstruction tutorial.

Hope I helped.

Last edited:

Ipsa Bajaj

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
Re: my nexus 5 died and it wont turn on

It worked for me ! thanx alot after was at the start menu , my phone turned on and is back Do i need to do anything else after that ?

antonyle55

Jul 30, 2016
Visit site
haha wow. Thank you!! 2nd to last post of the forum and i was losing hope, but your very 1st step worked. In fact, i just had to hold the power button for 9 to 10 seconds and then the screen actually turned on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar