Nexus 5: died and it won't turn on

JConn_Lefty

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
so my phone just died on me. i was playing a game and noticed the battery was at 14% so i closed all my apps and began charging the phone. i get a call at my desk from a coworker and she's asking me why i'm ignoring her text. i tell her i haven't received any notifications. i grab the phone, hit the power button and... nothing. the phone turned itself off and i'm thinking something is very wrong here. how can you go from 14% to shutdown in less than 10 minutes while it's charging? i tried holding the power button down to turn it back on and it's not responding. i tried holding down the power plus volume and... nothing. any suggestions? i would plug it in to the usb but i'm at work so all i have is my qi charger at the moment.

forgot to add, the phone has been charging (qi charging) for the past 20 minutes and it still wont turn on.

Last edited by a moderator:

kgeissler

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Re: my nexus 5 died and it wont turn on

If you plug it in while it is off, do you get the battery charging icon on the screen?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

devchaube15

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

is the phone rooted? also, when you tried pressing power + volume, did you press and HOLD volume up + volume down + power, or just volume up + power, or volume down + power? To boot into start up menu you have to hold down volume up + volume down + power for a few seconds. when you get home plug it in for 20 minutes, then try turning it on. (sometimes when i plug my phone in right away when its dead, then try turning it on, it just doesnt turn on... so that might be it.

JConn_Lefty

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site

If you plug it in while it is off, do you get the battery charging icon on the screen?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

i dont have access to my usb cord right now but when i charge using the wireless charger, the screen is blank and the phone does not make any noise.

- - - Updated - - -

is the phone rooted? also, when you tried pressing power + volume, did you press and HOLD volume up + volume down + power, or just volume up + power, or volume down + power? To boot into start up menu you have to hold down volume up + volume down + power for a few seconds. when you get home plug it in for 20 minutes, then try turning it on. (sometimes when i plug my phone in right away when its dead, then try turning it on, it just doesnt turn on... so that might be it.

i did power+volume up only. let me try the other options...

JConn_Lefty

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site

it worked!!!!

not sure exactly what worked but it's back on now. it's been dead for over 1 hour now btw...

so i tried volume up/down/power in different combos and it didn't work. i put the phone back down on my qi charger, came back from a small meeting and voil?,it's now on again. hopefully this wont happen again.

vividrich

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

Maybe initially it wasn't "on" the charger, and when you put it back on this last time it connected and proceeded to charge?

Posted from my Nexus 7 2013 via Android Central App

devchaube15

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

Yeah, it was probably because you didn't leave it on the charger long enough for it to register any charge since it was dead, happens all the time with my regular USB also, when I plug it in completely dead, then try turning on the phone, it just doesn't do it, even if I hold power on for 2-3 minutes straight. It's not just your phone, happens with everyone's phones, iphone, s3/s4, moto maxx, blackberry bold 9900, its just how phones are

Rennski

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
hi all,

My Nexus 5 appeared to have died having just been fully charged about an hour before I noticed this morning. Devchaube15's recommendation to: press and HOLD volume up + volume down + power actually restored it back to working order, so many thanks.

dsgsays

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
I am having the same problem. It had 100% charge and randomly turned off. It will not reset and there is no light when I plug it in to the charger. Can anyone help?

Chloe_James

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
My phone died and won't come on! :( :(

Hey my phone died on me, I went for the charger to charge it I left it for 3-4 hours and came back for it when I checked the red light was still blinking my charger is new cause I got it about 4-5 days back and my phone normally charges quickly and I never played it while its charging.

How can I get my phone on and to charge quickly my phone is a T-Mobile My-Touch :':)':)':)':)':)':)':)':)'(

Carolina Ho

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
i tried what you have taught me .... the android robot appeared with his belly open lying down as if its dead ! it says powered off. Then the google sign keep blinking as if it's trying to start .. but it happens an hour like that but still cannot start the phone back on !!
Anyone can help?

Natasha Riley

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site

I have a Samsung galaxy nexus n whenever I turn it on it won't move from d start up screen with an x switching colors. I buy a new battery n it's the same when I try the power button n d holding of the volume button it just turn on for a sec n then it goes back to the x on charging n the only thing it does is get hot!!!!!!!!

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

I have a Samsung galaxy nexus n whenever I turn it on it won't move from d start up screen with an x switching colors. I buy a new battery n it's the same when I try the power button n d holding of the volume button it just turn on for a sec n then it goes back to the x on charging n the only thing it does is get hot!!!!!!!!
Can you try the steps in the linked message? http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=3894049

salmanahmad

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
This could possibly be a dead eMMC.

Try to hard reset it, if possible. Or you may need to get it repaired. But warranty will have you covered, if you have it.

sankofa.87

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
I dont think my Nexus 5 died because the last I saw it still had above 20% to 30 %, but it did just turn off on me and now it will not turn back on. I tried holding down the volume up+volume down+power button for more than 10 seconds and nothing. Also when I place my phone on the charger, nothing happens. I know you cannot take the battery out which really annoys me. Any other suggestions???

mhay4

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
I dont think my Nexus 5 died because the last I saw it still had above 20% to 30 %, but it did just turn off on me and now it will not turn back on. I tried holding down the volume up+volume down+power button for more than 10 seconds and nothing. Also when I place my phone on the charger, nothing happens. I know you cannot take the battery out which really annoys me. Any other suggestions???

mhay4

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
we have the same problem. nothings change i tried the volume+power bottons nothings change pls enlighten me i dont know what to do.

mhay4

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781