Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default iPhone to Nexus 5 iMessage to Hangouts

Hi All!
    So I have recently changed from iPhone to the Nexus 5 (love it BTW). It has been a bit of a nightmare due to apple, especially SMS and MMS. So my issue is that people are not receiving my messages right away and incoming takes forever if they ever make it, pics are even worse! I realize Apple registers your mobile number with their servers for imessage and pretty much lock it down so it has a hard time reverting to SMS again. I have unregistered my mobile number with Apple in all aspects. This seemed to work for me but people are still having issues replying to my messages. Anyone else experience this? Any advice on getting around it?

Posted via Android Central App
  2. Best Answer

Generally I have found this to be an issue with someone that still has a conversation with an imessage from my number in it. The best fix I found was to have the receiver delete the message thread and start over. This will keep the iPhone from defaulting to imessage.

Default Re: iPhone to Nexus 5 iMessage to Hangouts

Generally I have found this to be an issue with someone that still has a conversation with an imessage from my number in it. The best fix I found was to have the receiver delete the message thread and start over. This will keep the iPhone from defaulting to imessage.

Also go into your iTunes and unregister your device.

I had to contact apple to remove my device from their server. I unregistered my device myself but that wasn't working. After apple unregistered my number my messaging starting working fine about 24 hours later. Also, have your friends delete any messages they have on their phone from when you had an iPhone and enable SMS. The iPhone will keep trying to send an imessage otherwise. Hope this helps, I know this was a nightmare for me when I switched but its worth it. I love my nexus device a lot more than the iPhone.

Had this exact thing happen to me a few weeks ago when I switched from iPhone to n5. I called apple and they were no help so I solved it by doing these things (not sure WHICH one exactly was the solution)

1. Go into imessage settings and turn it off on iPhone.

2. Log into your apple account from the website and make sure you delete your phone number.

3. Reformat iPhone.

4. Get your contacts with iPhones to remove you from their phone and then add you again (their iPhone will continue to register your number as an imessage number until it is removed and re-added)

5. Have them also delete any texts from you.

After all this I got it working and people with iPhone could text me again no problem.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

I've switched back and forth between iPhones and Android phones many times, I have an iPhone 5 and just pulled the sim yesterday and put it into my Nexus 5 that I just got. My wife still uses an iPhone and I test this process each time I switch phones to make sure that I can get texts from her. Merely turning off iMessage has never yielded good results for me. The most successful way I have found to undo iMessage is to sign out of FaceTime and iMessages on the iPhone before switching phones. If you still have your iPhone do the following;

Sign out in the following locations:

Settings > Messages > Send & Receive. Tap your Apple ID, then tap Sign Out.
    Settings > FaceTime. Tap your Apple ID, then tap Sign Out.

This should remove your phone number from other devices using the same Apple ID with FaceTime and Messages such as iPads or any other iOS device you may have. If you just turn off iMessage without successfully signing out of the service, texts sent to you from iPhone users who have texted you before will be hit or miss at best. Apple support can remove your number from their service if you no longer have access to your iPhone. Contact Apple technical support and refer to this support document iOS: Deactivating iMessage

Hope this helps

Gee there's some superstitious advice around about this. You just need to make sure you de-register your device from iMessage. You can do this from the iPhone, iTunes, or Apple web site.

The only other issue is the case where a another idevice user has a conversation thread to you on your Apple ID. This can happen if they initiated the thread to your Apple ID, not your phone (sms) number, or if you had at some point configured your iMessage so that your "reply address" was your Apple ID, not your phone number.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Hey thanks everyone! But I have tried literally every suggestion in this thread. All of them have helped a little bit but didn't bring full results. So I tried one more stupid little thing that I thought may work. I told a couple of my friends to go into my contact and change the category of my number from "iPhone" to "Mobile" and this worked instantly. I'm sure unregistering my number from apple was a must and signing out of my iTunes, imessage and face time had a big part in it as well. But FYI this was the cherry on the cake if you will. Simple but had great results! Thanks everyone!

Another option is have the iPhone users go into settings and enable "send as SMS if imessage unavailable"
    Thanked by:
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

That's a great idea! I'll do that as well just in case!

Quote Originally Posted by RionDunn View Post
    That's a great idea! I'll do that as well just in case!
    May as well rub some garlic on your front door handle also. You can't be too sure.

Had the same issue when I switched from iPhone to Android. I had to wait like 20 days for the iMessage server to "purge" old numbers or something. Apple likes to punish people who switch.

I dealt with this issue. You can do everything you can think of on your end and it may or may not help. The real solution is calling Apple and telling them to disable your account (I forget the exact wording but 24 hours after that phone call, my problems where over).

Here's all you need to do. BEFORE you stop using the iPhone, go in to settings, turn OFF iMessage and sign out of iMessage. Then sign out on all other devices using the same Apple ID (you can turn those back on later). Once that's done, you can switch SIM cards and use your Android.

I switch back and forth between an iPhone and an Android phone with the same SIM card with no problem.

Now, the people sending you messages may get a pause on their end as the system realizes that an iPhone is no longer connected (because you signed out of iMessage). BUT - if they're sending messages from something other than a phone, it won't go through. Unless their device can send SMS, the messages can't reach you. So an iPod can no longer send you messages (makes sense, right, since an iPod or an iPad can't send SMS).

But I do this frequently and I've not needed to go to Apple.com and deregister the phone (though it may help in problem situations).

tldnr: sign out of iMessage FIRST, then pull SIM card from iPhone.

Nexus 5 • Nexus 7 • Surface Pro 3

Quote Originally Posted by MBSMD View Post
    Here's all you need to do. BEFORE you stop using the iPhone, go in to settings, turn OFF iMessage and sign out of iMessage. Then sign out on all other devices using the same Apple ID (you can turn those back on later). Once that's done, you can switch SIM cards and use your Android.

I switch back and forth between an iPhone and an Android phone with the same SIM card with no problem.

Now, the people sending you messages may get a pause on their end as the system realizes that an iPhone is no longer connected (because you signed out of iMessage). BUT - if they're sending messages from something other than a phone, it won't go through. Unless their device can send SMS, the messages can't reach you. So an iPod can no longer send you messages (makes sense, right, since an iPod or an iPad can't send SMS).

But I do this frequently and I've not needed to go to Apple.com and deregister the phone (though it may help in problem situations).

tldnr: sign out of iMessage FIRST, then pull SIM card from iPhone.

Thanks for this! Have an iPhone coming and plan to swap my nano SIM back and forth between an iPhone 6+ and moto X 2014.
    Galaxy S6 ACTIVE, Zenfone 2, Galaxy S6 (64GB), Nexus 6 (64GB), Moto X 32GB 2014 Pure, iPhone 6 Plus Unlocked, OnePlus One (64GB),Xperia Z2, LG G3, Lumia 925 8.1 Cyan, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8, iPad Air 2