Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By JeffDenver
  • 1 Post By Bront
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    1 Global Posts

Question Considering buying Nexus 5

Hi!

I'm looking for a replacement for my ageing phone and I'm also considering Nexus 5, but I'd like to ask some questions first, please.

- Can I set the "switch-app" soft-key so that holding it bring the menu button?
    - Can I program the behaviour of the notification LED to specific events?
    - Should I worry myself over the screen yellow tint? Is it consistent, or varies between units?

That'll be probably all for the moment

Thanks
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,945 Global Posts
    ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

Default Re: Considering buying Nexus 5

Quote Originally Posted by Ceridan View Post
    Not without rooting. There are apps that will do that though.

Yes. There are several apps that do that. Lightflow is the most popular one and I don't think it requires root.

- Should I worry myself over the screen yellow tint? Is it consistent, or varies between units?
    I've never seen a phone with yellow tint. I am on my 2nd one too. The two I got have identical screens. If I got a phone with yellow tint, I would RMA it, but I have been told it is software fixable.
    gidgiddonihah and Ceridan like this.

Not without rooting and either a ROM of the XPosed framework.

Most apps are programmed to deal with this by putting a menu button that's accessible from in the app though, and I personally find I use the switch app button more than a menu button, and miss it on phones that don't have it.
    Yes. Plenty of app or ROMs allow for that. Don't think you need Root access.
    What yellow tint? It's a very accurate and tint-free screen. It looks different than the popular Galaxy series because those AMOLED screens are actually slightly bluish tinted.

That said, there are apps to adjust the color range of the screen, though they may require rooting and flashing a kernal/rom.
    Nexus 5 on Sprint
    Ceridan likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,945 Global Posts
    ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

I think the apps you can use to adjust color on the display require root though. Thats why I would RMA it.

I don't think it is a widespread problem though. I have only seen one case of it on here so far.

I own a N5 myself. I came from Samsung Galaxy 2 and 3. It's the best phone I've ever had so far (Nexus 5).

I got the Nexus 7 two years ago (2012) and was awe struck at the speed and reliability of the device. My Nexus 5 is literally twice as fast. I was considering the Moto X, but decided the Nexus 5.

My screen has a nice vivid white appearance. No yellow or washed out colors.

Posted via Android Central App

My recently received RMA definitely had a distinctly yellow and washed out looking screen. Already sent it back to Google. Very obvious difference in screen from my original device.