Nexus 5: quickest way to send video?

ianhanson85

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
What is the quickest way to send video? Preferably through text message? I'm used to an iPhone where it was very easy and quick to send a video through imessage or text. Every time I try to send a video through text on my nexus 5 it says video is to large. I recorded at lowest quality and the video was only 11 seconds long. Is the nexus 5 not capable of sending a simple video through text?

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:

zolo185

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Re: quickest way to send video?

What is the quickest way to send video? Preferably through text message? I'm used to an iPhone where it was very easy and quick to send a video through imessage or text. Every time I try to send a video through text on my nexus 5 it says video is to large. I recorded at lowest quality and the video was only 11 seconds long. Is the nexus 5 not capable of sending a simple video through text?

Are you using hangouts ? Also what carrier are you on.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

How big is the file?

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

david279

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

If you can get people using Telegram. It can send videos up to a 1 gig in size. If not your better off using Gmail.

ianhanson85

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site

If you can get people using Telegram. It can send videos up to a 1 gig in size. If not your better off using Gmail.

I'm asking is there a way to send video through text? I'm having a hard time believing it's so easy for the iPhone but the nexus can't handle it.

david279

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

Nothing thru sms. Sms just doesn't work with video well. The iPhone was probably using imessage or something like that. Your going to have to use a chat app like I mentioned to get it done. Or just upload the video to YouTube and send out private links.

ianhanson85

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site

Nothing thru sms. Sms just doesn't work with video well. The iPhone was probably using imessage or something like that. Your going to have to use a chat app like I mentioned to get it done. Or just upload the video to YouTube and send out private links.

That's disappointing. Its so convenient with iPhone. I don't get why it's so difficult for android.

david279

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

There's some functionality for sending videos coming to hangouts but it won't be till maybe April - may.

andriver

May 1, 2013
Visit site

You can send small videos through Contact+. It works well but the resolution is not great.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

According to this Verizon site, the MMS size limit is 1.2 MB, which is pretty small. In Hangouts, if you're sending an SMS/MMS message, you can take a video from within the Hangouts app by tapping the camera icon in your message field and picking "Take a Video"--I think that will automatically decrease the resolution of the video you take, and limit its length to fit that size limit.

iMessage works in a different way, and I believe it automatically downgrades the resolution of any video you choose to send. One possible workaround would be for you to upload your video to Google Drive or Google+ Photos, and then share it from there with your friends.

ianhanson85

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
According to this Verizon site, the MMS size limit is 1.2 MB, which is pretty small. In Hangouts, if you're sending an SMS/MMS message, you can take a video from within the Hangouts app by tapping the camera icon in your message field and picking "Take a Video"--I think that will automatically decrease the resolution of the video you take, and limit its length to fit that size limit.

iMessage works in a different way, and I believe it automatically downgrades the resolution of any video you choose to send. One possible workaround would be for you to upload your video to Google Drive or Google+ Photos, and then share it from there with your friends.

I'll give the hangouts thing a try. Still disappointing I can't just attach a video to a text and send.

lee_michael_f92

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Gotta remember iMessage is different from SMS. If you were sending a video by SMS on the iPhone the quality would be lower than what you actually recorded.

Sent via Tapatalk from a very far away place!

imex99

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Gotta remember iMessage is different from SMS. If you were sending a video by SMS on the iPhone the quality would be lower than what you actually recorded.

Sent via Tapatalk from a very far away place!

Horribly less... My wife has iPhone 5 and sent a video yesterday and pixelated so bad can't tell whos in the video.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I switch back and forth between an iPhone and a nexus 5. If I could figure out a simple way to send videos like iMessage I would ditch the iPhone completely. Most solutions involve trying to get my contacts to download apps which isn't feasible.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1