What is the quickest way to send video? Preferably through text message? I'm used to an iPhone where it was very easy and quick to send a video through imessage or text. Every time I try to send a video through text on my nexus 5 it says video is to large. I recorded at lowest quality and the video was only 11 seconds long. Is the nexus 5 not capable of sending a simple video through text?

Posted via Android Central App
    03-13-2014 08:22 PM
    What is the quickest way to send video? Preferably through text message? I'm used to an iPhone where it was very easy and quick to send a video through imessage or text. Every time I try to send a video through text on my nexus 5 it says video is to large. I recorded at lowest quality and the video was only 11 seconds long. Is the nexus 5 not capable of sending a simple video through text?

Are you using hangouts ? Also what carrier are you on.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    03-13-2014 08:26 PM
    I am using hangouts and I'm on the sprint network.

03-13-2014 08:29 PM
    How big is the file?

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
    03-13-2014 08:30 PM
    How big is the file?

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
    17mb. I shot it at 480s and its 11 seconds long.

03-13-2014 08:37 PM
    If you can get people using Telegram. It can send videos up to a 1 gig in size. If not your better off using Gmail.

03-13-2014 09:37 PM
    If you can get people using Telegram. It can send videos up to a 1 gig in size. If not your better off using Gmail.

I'm asking is there a way to send video through text? I'm having a hard time believing it's so easy for the iPhone but the nexus can't handle it.

03-13-2014 09:55 PM
    Nothing thru sms. Sms just doesn't work with video well. The iPhone was probably using imessage or something like that. Your going to have to use a chat app like I mentioned to get it done. Or just upload the video to YouTube and send out private links.

03-13-2014 09:58 PM
    Nothing thru sms. Sms just doesn't work with video well. The iPhone was probably using imessage or something like that. Your going to have to use a chat app like I mentioned to get it done. Or just upload the video to YouTube and send out private links.

That's disappointing. Its so convenient with iPhone. I don't get why it's so difficult for android.

03-13-2014 10:12 PM
    There's some functionality for sending videos coming to hangouts but it won't be till maybe April - may.

03-13-2014 10:14 PM
    You can send small videos through Contact+. It works well but the resolution is not great.
    03-14-2014 04:01 PM
    According to this Verizon site, the MMS size limit is 1.2 MB, which is pretty small. In Hangouts, if you're sending an SMS/MMS message, you can take a video from within the Hangouts app by tapping the camera icon in your message field and picking "Take a Video"--I think that will automatically decrease the resolution of the video you take, and limit its length to fit that size limit.

iMessage works in a different way, and I believe it automatically downgrades the resolution of any video you choose to send. One possible workaround would be for you to upload your video to Google Drive or Google+ Photos, and then share it from there with your friends.
    03-14-2014 04:12 PM
    According to this Verizon site, the MMS size limit is 1.2 MB, which is pretty small. In Hangouts, if you're sending an SMS/MMS message, you can take a video from within the Hangouts app by tapping the camera icon in your message field and picking "Take a Video"--I think that will automatically decrease the resolution of the video you take, and limit its length to fit that size limit.

iMessage works in a different way, and I believe it automatically downgrades the resolution of any video you choose to send. One possible workaround would be for you to upload your video to Google Drive or Google+ Photos, and then share it from there with your friends.
    I'll give the hangouts thing a try. Still disappointing I can't just attach a video to a text and send.

03-14-2014 07:40 PM
    Gotta remember iMessage is different from SMS. If you were sending a video by SMS on the iPhone the quality would be lower than what you actually recorded.

Sent via Tapatalk from a very far away place!
    03-15-2014 05:45 PM
    Gotta remember iMessage is different from SMS. If you were sending a video by SMS on the iPhone the quality would be lower than what you actually recorded.

Sent via Tapatalk from a very far away place!
    Horribly less... My wife has iPhone 5 and sent a video yesterday and pixelated so bad can't tell whos in the video.

03-16-2014 04:10 AM
    I switch back and forth between an iPhone and a nexus 5. If I could figure out a simple way to send videos like iMessage I would ditch the iPhone completely. Most solutions involve trying to get my contacts to download apps which isn't feasible.
    03-16-2014 09:21 AM