Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Nexus 5: quickest way to send video?

    What is the quickest way to send video? Preferably through text message? I'm used to an iPhone where it was very easy and quick to send a video through imessage or text. Every time I try to send a video through text on my nexus 5 it says video is to large. I recorded at lowest quality and the video was only 11 seconds long. Is the nexus 5 not capable of sending a simple video through text?

    Posted via Android Central App
  2. #2  

    Default Re: quickest way to send video?

    Quote Originally Posted by ianhanson85 View Post
    What is the quickest way to send video? Preferably through text message? I'm used to an iPhone where it was very easy and quick to send a video through imessage or text. Every time I try to send a video through text on my nexus 5 it says video is to large. I recorded at lowest quality and the video was only 11 seconds long. Is the nexus 5 not capable of sending a simple video through text?

    Posted via Android Central App
    Are you using hangouts ? Also what carrier are you on.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: quickest way to send video?

    I am using hangouts and I'm on the sprint network.

    Posted via Android Central App
  4. #4  

    Default Re: quickest way to send video?

    How big is the file?

    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: quickest way to send video?

    Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    How big is the file?

    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
    17mb. I shot it at 480s and its 11 seconds long.

    Posted via Android Central App
  6. #6  
    david279's Avatar

    Posts
    97 Posts
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 7.1 NIGHTLY ect....

    Default Re: quickest way to send video?

    If you can get people using Telegram. It can send videos up to a 1 gig in size. If not your better off using Gmail.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: quickest way to send video?

    Quote Originally Posted by david279 View Post
    If you can get people using Telegram. It can send videos up to a 1 gig in size. If not your better off using Gmail.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    I'm asking is there a way to send video through text? I'm having a hard time believing it's so easy for the iPhone but the nexus can't handle it.

    Posted via Android Central App
  8. #8  
    david279's Avatar

    Posts
    97 Posts
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 7.1 NIGHTLY ect....

    Default Re: quickest way to send video?

    Nothing thru sms. Sms just doesn't work with video well. The iPhone was probably using imessage or something like that. Your going to have to use a chat app like I mentioned to get it done. Or just upload the video to YouTube and send out private links.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default Re: quickest way to send video?

    Quote Originally Posted by david279 View Post
    Nothing thru sms. Sms just doesn't work with video well. The iPhone was probably using imessage or something like that. Your going to have to use a chat app like I mentioned to get it done. Or just upload the video to YouTube and send out private links.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    That's disappointing. Its so convenient with iPhone. I don't get why it's so difficult for android.

    Posted via Android Central App
  10. #10  
    david279's Avatar

    Posts
    97 Posts
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 7.1 NIGHTLY ect....

    Default Re: quickest way to send video?

    There's some functionality for sending videos coming to hangouts but it won't be till maybe April - may.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
  11. #11  

    Default Re: quickest way to send video?

    You can send small videos through Contact+. It works well but the resolution is not great.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: quickest way to send video?

    According to this Verizon site, the MMS size limit is 1.2 MB, which is pretty small. In Hangouts, if you're sending an SMS/MMS message, you can take a video from within the Hangouts app by tapping the camera icon in your message field and picking "Take a Video"--I think that will automatically decrease the resolution of the video you take, and limit its length to fit that size limit.

    iMessage works in a different way, and I believe it automatically downgrades the resolution of any video you choose to send. One possible workaround would be for you to upload your video to Google Drive or Google+ Photos, and then share it from there with your friends.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    According to this Verizon site, the MMS size limit is 1.2 MB, which is pretty small. In Hangouts, if you're sending an SMS/MMS message, you can take a video from within the Hangouts app by tapping the camera icon in your message field and picking "Take a Video"--I think that will automatically decrease the resolution of the video you take, and limit its length to fit that size limit.

    iMessage works in a different way, and I believe it automatically downgrades the resolution of any video you choose to send. One possible workaround would be for you to upload your video to Google Drive or Google+ Photos, and then share it from there with your friends.
    I'll give the hangouts thing a try. Still disappointing I can't just attach a video to a text and send.

    Posted via Android Central App
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Nexus 5: quickest way to send video?

    Gotta remember iMessage is different from SMS. If you were sending a video by SMS on the iPhone the quality would be lower than what you actually recorded.


    Sent via Tapatalk from a very far away place!
  15. #15  
    imex99's Avatar

    Posts
    246 Posts
    Global Posts
    896 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus 5: quickest way to send video?

    Quote Originally Posted by lee.michael.f92 View Post
    Gotta remember iMessage is different from SMS. If you were sending a video by SMS on the iPhone the quality would be lower than what you actually recorded.


    Sent via Tapatalk from a very far away place!
    Horribly less... My wife has iPhone 5 and sent a video yesterday and pixelated so bad can't tell whos in the video.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Nexus 5: quickest way to send video?

    I switch back and forth between an iPhone and a nexus 5. If I could figure out a simple way to send videos like iMessage I would ditch the iPhone completely. Most solutions involve trying to get my contacts to download apps which isn't feasible.

Similar Threads

  1. Searching For My New Three to Four Year Phone
    By JS5900 in forum Verizon LG G2
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 03-23-2014, 09:53 AM
  2. Best video call app?
    By garethrdwilliams in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-21-2014, 05:05 AM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-20-2014, 11:49 PM
  4. google hangout sending texts twice?
    By garethrdwilliams in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-17-2014, 02:31 PM

Posting Permissions