Nexus 5: Blown away by performance!

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Blown away by performance!

AMOLED screens are more energy efficient...

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

Yes they are. The Moto X takes full advantage of one of the power efficient properties of them with active notifications. Only lighting up the pixels needed to display the notifications. AMOLED & LCD both have their advantages & disadvantages & each have people that prefer one over the other. I am kind of neutral. I like how Motorola used one over the other for a specific purpose.

Posted via Android Central App from my Ebony backed Moto X

Mr427

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

Some one tell me what is ART,been thinking on it for a couple of days now, got nothing

Posted via Android Central App

devchaube15

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

Wow you guys get 50% at the end of the day? I'm lucky to get 5% within 5 hours of unplugging it from the charger... I charge my phone 3 times a day, AT LEAST...

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site

ART is another Google experiment, this time involving how the core of Android runs applications. Hopefully it doesn't got the way of Gears, Wave and so many other failed projects. In theory ART could be more efficient at running software which is only written in the high level VM code, but it shouldn't do much for anything that already has native code optimizations instead.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Wow you guys get 50% at the end of the day? I'm lucky to get 5% within 5 hours of unplugging it from the charger... I charge my phone 3 times a day, AT LEAST...

Depends on what you're doing. Are you playing CPU or GPU intensive games a lot? Are you streaming a lot of videos or music? Remember that the screen time is the limiting factor for the most part, since it consumes the most power. The N5 will give you 3-4 hours of total screen-on time per charge, so if your screen is on all the time, it wouldn't be surprising to me that you have to charge it often.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site

Really? I found them to be power hogs (with anything other than black) and not as sharp as LCD (pentile vs RGB). And yes, for text I can see a bit of a difference. It's not extreme, but enough to notice.

Yep- I find OLED to be fuzzy and oversaturated and hard to see in bright light. Like the black blacks, but in every other way I prefer SLCD.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site

Depends on what you're doing. Are you playing CPU or GPU intensive games a lot? Are you streaming a lot of videos or music? Remember that the screen time is the limiting factor for the most part, since it consumes the most power. The N5 will give you 3-4 hours of total screen-on time per charge, so if your screen is on all the time, it wouldn't be surprising to me that you have to charge it often.

That is correct. During the day, especially at work, I don't watch any videos. I only play games on my phone when I'm at home and that's just puzzle games like The Room. I do stream music, but then again, the screen is off the whole time. I rarely make phone calls, but I do text all day long. It definitely depends on how a person is using their phone. I know people who have iPhones that get three days use from one charge because they rarely use their phones.

devchaube15

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

Well my phone gets around 4 hours of screen on time with auto brightness, sometimes it gets 5 hours, but I rarely leave the screen on for long periods of time. I usually have music streaming through Poweramp, I'm not sure if this uses power, but my headphones are also powered by a pre-amp, and I listen to music on 100% volume most of the time. I also read a lot of news via Flipboard, on Twitter, Instagram, and I've been using the play store to download books a lot, magazines, and uTorrent as well, for music/movies.

12:00PM = phone gets plugged in
8;00AM:= phone gets unplugged, music gets turned on
1:05PM = phone is at 6/5/7% battery, phone gets plugged in
2:30PM = phone gets unplugged, at 33%
3:30PM = phone gets plugged in, at 12%
repeat

So, yeah, I use my phone a lot... GPS is always on, same with mobile data, and bluetooth as well as NFC for file transferring between phones and my laptop, Also I use NFC for Tim Hortons payments recently, since they support it now.

I guess, my usage is absurdly high, well, atleast I'm getting average life out of it

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

That's pretty heavy usage, so your charging needs aren't surprising. Unless you absolutely need precise GPS location at all times, I would suggest changing the location setting to "Battery Saving," which uses wifi and mobile data signals to estimate location, and turns off the GPS radio. That's still pretty accurate (to within about 100 yards or so).

See other tips here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...how-tos/298919-guide-battery-saving-tips.html

MBSMD

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site

AMOLED screens are more energy efficient...

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

When displaying black or dark colors, yes. But not for full-screen white or bright, full color, full screen images from what I've read. Perhaps that's out of date, but a big chunk of my daily use is email and browser-based work, and I find the iPhone and N5 (both with LCD screens) to outperform my old GS4 in my usage scenarios.

Though it's also possible that it has nothing to do with the screen but the crappy Samsung phone to begin with. Lol.

evostudios

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site

I have to agree 100% about the performance of the Nexus 5. I got it at launch and was also blown away by the performance, and I still am. It's the smoothest performing android phone I have ever used.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site

Are they really going to end the Nexus line? Just the thought of that bums me out. I heard that Google will just sell GPE devices after the next Nexus is released. That means the cost of products shoots way up again. Of course I don't want that.

retsaw

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site

Are they really going to end the Nexus line? Just the thought of that bums me out. I heard that Google will just sell GPE devices after the next Nexus is released. That means the cost of products shoots way up again. Of course I don't want that.
It is just a unsubstantiated rumour at this point in time. In my opinion, no I don't think they will end the nexus line of products.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

That was a rumor started by a single blogger.... unsubstantiated... In fact, the head of Google was recently interviewed and gushed over the success of the Nexus line.... particularly the Nexus 5.

aspot72

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site

So I'm a gadget nerd. I have more phones and tablets than I know what to do with. I've had several Android phones to go along with my iDevices but kept migrating back because of the often jerky and inconsistent experience on the Android phones.

However, in an unusually spontaneous mood, I bought a black Nexus 5 32GB from the Play store (noticed they were back in stock) and it was delivered yesterday.

I have NEVER seen Android function so smoothly. I know how this will sound, but this is what Android would be like if Apple made an Android phone. It's simply stunning. iPhone 5S smooth. Even my Galaxy S4 (which I am now going to sell) doesn't come anywhere even close to bring this smooth.

I honestly am amazed at how smooth and fluid the Nexus 5 is. And this is before enabling ART, by the way (haven't done that yet).

Wow. Simply wow.

I wouldn't sell S4. If you're so nerdy (as you say) why don't you install GPE ROM on S4???

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site

So I'm a gadget nerd. I have more phones and tablets than I know what to do with. I've had several Android phones to go along with my iDevices but kept migrating back because of the often jerky and inconsistent experience on the Android phones.

However, in an unusually spontaneous mood, I bought a black Nexus 5 32GB from the Play store (noticed they were back in stock) and it was delivered yesterday.

I have NEVER seen Android function so smoothly. I know how this will sound, but this is what Android would be like if Apple made an Android phone. It's simply stunning. iPhone 5S smooth. Even my Galaxy S4 (which I am now going to sell) doesn't come anywhere even close to bring this smooth.

I honestly am amazed at how smooth and fluid the Nexus 5 is. And this is before enabling ART, by the way (haven't done that yet).

Wow. Simply wow.

I myself am also a new Nexus convert.

I really wish they would take a couple Samsung features from them though, life the swipe to screen shot, controlling the music player with the voice, and voice controlling the alarm.

That and the removable battery! That's one of the worst things about this phone, but overall I love it and will never sign another contract again

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site

I really wish they would take a couple Samsung features from them though, life the swipe to screen shot, controlling the music player with the voice, and voice controlling the alarm.

Yeah, but if they kept adding more and more gimmicks, it gets bigger and slower, and more complicated to the point where it starts defeating the point of having a Nexus.

The best strategy would be to offer such features as optional ADDONS through apps :)

MBSMD

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site

I wouldn't sell S4. If you're so nerdy (as you say) why don't you install GPE ROM on S4???

One, it was a Verizon model. Locked/encrypted bootloader. So for now, no custom ROMs.

Two, the phone must be unrooted (and never have had root access enabled) or my workplace email system will refuse it Exchange server access. IT uses MobileIron, which checks for root access, su subdirectories and any apps which require root access to run (including things like Titanium, Root Explorer, etc). Yes. They are that strict. My N5 is 100% stock, unrooted and still has bootloader locked. And none of the offending (or potentially offending) apps are installed.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site

That was a rumor started by a single blogger.... unsubstantiated... In fact, the head of Google was recently interviewed and gushed over the success of the Nexus line.... particularly the Nexus 5.

That's great news. I hope the rumors aren't true. I believe the Nexus line is extremely valuable.