Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Very low in call earpiece volume after 4.4.2 update

Hey Guys -

Black 16GB Nexus 5 here. My in call volume using the earpiece is very very low since the 4.4.2 update. I have the volume maxed out and have already cleared cache, and even data reset once. Did not help at all.

The only way to use the phone making a call is to use a headset or be indoors in a very quiet room. Even then it's hard to hear the caller using the earpiece. I always have to use a headset for making calls.

I remember the in call volume being louder before the 4.4.2 update. After the update, however, the microphone functionality is improved and people can hear me better now (compared to 4.4.0 stock). However, it's hard for me to hear them.

I just wanted to see if someone else faced this problem or whether this is a manufacturing defect in my phone.

Thanks.
    Axe

ROM
    Reborn ROM, CM9 Touchpad

Default Re: Very low in call earpiece volume after 4.4.2 update

I also feel the in call volume seems lower than it should be, or at least lower than on other phones I've tried. I don't remember if it was louder back before 4.4.2 because of inconsistent usage prior to the update. When did you purchase your phone?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    I also feel the in call volume seems lower than it should be, or at least lower than on other phones I've tried. I don't remember if it was louder back before 4.4.2 because of inconsistent usage prior to the update. When did you purchase your phone?
    Thanks for the reply. I purchased by phone in December. It has a 201311 manufacturing. It's a black 16GB nexus 5.

So i use my phone a lot for voice calls and here's what I've found:

1) Prior to the android update (in stock 4.4.0) the earpiece in-call volume was ok. However the microphone was bad. Meaning other people always complained that i sound very far off and they couldn't hear me clearly. But I could still make calls without using a headset.

2) After 4.4.2 update, the microphone issue seems to be resolved. People tell me that they can hear me better. However the earpiece in-call volume is much lower than before. I can only hear people if I am in a very quiet room and even then I have to strain.

The only way to use the phone for calls is to use a headset (both wired and bluetooth work). The other day I was using my old Samsung Galaxy S3 for a phone call. The difference in clarity for phone calls is night and day. I had to actually lower the volume of the S3 because it was so loud and clear.

At this point, I am not sure whether it's my Nexus phone and a hardware defect. Could it be something that google did in the 4.4.2 update (meaning fixed the microphone, but lowered the in ear volume).

I just wanted to put it in this forum to see what other people face this issue. I've tried everything: clearing cache, factory reset, installing 4.4.2 again. But nothing has worked. Furthermore using a headset at max volume sometimes distorts the audio.

Other than this the phone is perfect. The battery life is amazing and it's super fast. The funny thing is that with the 4.4.2 update the phone speaker is better and louder. However the earpiece for making calls is just plain lousy. I can't take calls unless I am carrying a headset with me.

It's a great phone, but I am in a fix if I have to make a voice call and am not carrying a headset.

Thanks.
    Axe

ROM
    Reborn ROM, CM9 Touchpad

Mine is a day 1 (maybe even first hour of sale) black 32gb model. The speakerphone / audio speaker functions did noticeably improve after the 4.4.2 update. Maybe a month after that update, I unlocked the bootloader, which (as I understand) would've been similar to any cache clear or factory reset.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Mine is a day 1 (maybe even first hour of sale) black 32gb model. The speakerphone / audio speaker functions did noticeably improve after the 4.4.2 update. Maybe a month after that update, I unlocked the bootloader, which (as I understand) would've been similar to any cache clear or factory reset.
    Thanks for the feedback. I noticed the improvement in speaker levels too after 4.4.2 update. So anything coming out of the bottom speaker (notifications, ringtones etc etc) are louder.
    What I wanted to know was the volume of the earpiece at the top. If one takes calls while holding the phone to ear, the volume coming from that speaker at the top. That seems to be much lower in my phone. It's come to a point where I have to always use a headset to hear the other person.

I was wondering whether that's a hardware defect or it's something that google did when they fixed the microphone in 4.4.2.

Thanks.