Nexus 5: Dodged a bullet...

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Re: Dodged a bullet...

I cracked the digitizer on my Tab 3 7.0 LTE when it fell out and bounced off a vehicle doorframe onto the pavement high rotation angular corner hit, POW. No sweat, ordered a digitizer $23 free shipping and used my bench tools to replace it in like ten minutes. The body has one scratch in the paint. So I'll probably order a skin with slight bumpers.

My three year old Echo is still the benchmark, charging port tighter than a tick and I even dropped it fifteen feet onto concrete. 'Super Copper Alloy' (sounds like time capsule copper alloy honestly) did its job, chipped out nearly half an inch of flooring with only a 0.3mm flattening of the impacted corner!! No damage to either screen and it didn't even throw the battery. If Kyocera got off its rear and used similar materials in a new phone I would buy it regardless of any benchmark scores.

You have skills. I would not be sure I could do a perfect job making my own repairs.

4 of IV

retsaw

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site

I've bought a red one of these a few weeks ago and quite like it, and while it fits securely and won't pop off on its own, it is also easy to take off and put on again when you do want to use your phone naked. I also have a Spigen Slim Ultra-fit case which I haven't used since I got the Bugdroid case as I find it less comfortable to hold.

For my screen I have a tempered glass screen protector, it's well worth the bit extra they cost over a plastic one, since they are more durable they'll last longer than any plastic ones and they also feel nicer to the touch. The tempered glass is perhaps not quite as scratch resistant as Gorilla Glass, but even Gorilla Glass 3 isn't scratch proof, and the scratches my screen protector has acquired in the 6 weeks I've been using it are barely noticeable.

Posted via Android Central App

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

The tempered glass is perhaps not quite as scratch resistant as Gorilla Glass, but even Gorilla Glass 3 isn't scratch proof,

And if you gouge it good, you are out $20 or so.... beats having to get a screen repaired I guess. :) I'll be ordering a glass protector shortly.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

acr456

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
My dad has a galaxy note 2. I told him time and time again to get a case. He of course dropped his phone and the glass shattered. It cost him $150 to get the screen repaired. So he finally bought an otterbox which only cost him $20 on eBay. You do the math. Get a case. Its just common sense.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

camanokid

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site

For my screen I have a tempered glass screen protector, it's well worth the bit extra they cost over a plastic one, since they are more durable they'll last longer than any plastic ones and they also feel nicer to the touch. The tempered glass is perhaps not quite as scratch resistant as Gorilla Glass, but even Gorilla Glass 3 isn't scratch proof, and the scratches my screen protector has acquired in the 6 weeks I've been using it are barely noticeable.

Posted via Android Central App

How about finger prints?

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I just love a nice case and tempered glass screen protectors. Not only do they look great but they're protective. Double benefit.

via the phone 📲

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Well, I got around to protecting my 5.... Had a couple of drops recently that resulted in nothing more than a few skipped heartbeats, so I picked up a Nikay Nillkin 9H tempered glass screen protector, and dropped a Ringke Fusion hybrid case around it. The glass shield was easy enough to slap on there... and like many have noticed, there is a little area towards the bottom where the glass pulls away. I know from observing reflections on the screen, there is a slight depression at the bottom, and since the glass doesn't have the give that a plastic protector has, I guess I have to just live with it.

But the screen fits nicely inside the confines of the case... so hopefully it won't pop it out. Not sure where some people have complained about a sharp edge on the case though, seems fine. Overall, the case matches the overall look and feel of the Nexus 5... doesn't add much bulk. Though, the plastic window on the back seems like it might be a print magnet. But I've always tried to avoid being a form over function type of person, so that's fine. The buttons give a good, positive feel. The cheapo case on my S3 worked, but the buttons were always a bit vague.. these seem connected to something.

But yeah, tempered glass is the way to go. It has a nice, smooth feel like the actual screen glass. I've always found the feel of the plastic screens a bit off... so it's nice.

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
So I learned a couple of things...

I learned something from your experience also. That I'm glad I have a case and screen protector. I'm so anal about my N5 being perfect, that after I got it out of the box I only touched it by the sides, put a screen protector on it immediately, and then into a Spigen case. Skin oils still have not touched the front or back of the phone. I'll also get maximum resale value for it in a year or so. If my phone even gets a speck of dust on it (the case I should say) I immediately wipe it off. If my N5 ever had so much as the faintest of scratches on it, I would sell it immediately and get a new one. Otherwise it would haunt me in my dreams. But that's just me. ;)

Axe

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Its just common sense.

Fuzzy logic: Someone once explained how common sense tends to be rooted in established knowledge, ideas, procedures, etc. Without the baseline understanding, there's low probability someone might improvise toward a best practice, or "common sense."

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site

For my screen I have a tempered glass screen protector, it's well worth the bit extra they cost over a plastic one, since they are more durable they'll last longer than any plastic ones and they also feel nicer to the touch.

Unless you get the best plastic screen protector such as amFilm. I went a whole year with one, and not even one slight scratch was on it. And it felt smooth as glass, you couldn't even tell it was on there. But hey, if spending big $$$ on a glass protector makes you happy, then go for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781