Nexus 5: Dodged a bullet...

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
OK... I'm walking through Target yesterday with my N5 in my shirt pocket.. I must have caught it somehow with my jacket.. NO idea, but it flew out of my pocket and hit the floor just as I stepped forward... and I proceeded to kick the bloody thing and it slid a good 15 feet making a rather horrendous scratchy-plasticy-slidy noise as it went. Man, that was a horrible noise... one I think will haunt me in my dreams.

My heart dropped... then I noticed the tell-tale white ring of the Active Display feature (LS 3.0 FTW)... Phew, it didn't land screen side down... I picked it up and on the back cover, there wasn't even a scratch... the only 'damage' I saw was that the back cover pulled away just a wee bit on a corner (it snapped back in nice and flush). Closer examination and the only permanent damage is two faint scratches on the camera glass, luckily NOT in view of the lens too. It must have landed JUST right on a corner to just pop the cover off and nothing else.

So I learned a couple of things... 1) that matte plastic on the back is pretty resistant to scratches, 2) the camera lens cover pretty much has its *** hanging out in the breeze as far as damage is concerned.

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Dodged a bullet...

Phew! That's why I use a case. You always think you'll have the phone completely under your control until you don't! Glad to hear the phone survived intact.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Yeah, I've thought about a case, but just too much bulk for my tastes. So I'll keep tickling the dragon's tail... I DID have a screen protector on it, but a recent vacation did a number on it and I had to toss is... so its naked at the moment (gotta order some more).

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Wow. Definitely got lucky with that one. I don't use a case, even though I have like 3. I should probably start XD

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Wow you got lucky

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site

I love using my phones without cases. As is such I often have these "Oh No!" moments lol. Glad your device is okay

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site

The oddest thing about the story is that it didn't land in a toilet...Which is usually what happens to most of us when our phones inadvertently sail through the air:D... Not that this has happened to me twice...:-[

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Dodged a bullet...

The oddest thing about the story is that it didn't land in a toilet...Which is usually what happens to most of us when our phones inadvertently sail through the air:D... Not that this has happened to me twice...:-[

Eeeeeewwwwww....

So when talking on the phone do you have that, ya know...smell?

4 of IV

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site

Eeeeeewwwwww....

So when talking on the phone do you have that, ya know...smell?

4 of IV
Well not that it happened to me...but hypothetically I washed them off in the sink. Than dried them...Than bought new phones , shortly thereafter. Both were original razrs...Its why my wife is right when she tells me to allways put the seat down...;)

Oh and just to be clear I was 8ft away when this happened. Used to use a belt clip and forget about it. Pulled the belt off and the phone would sling shot towards the danger area...No longer use a belt clip...

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

Well not that it happened to me...but hypothetically I washed them off in the sink. Than dried them...Than bought new phones , shortly thereafter. Both were original razers...Its why my wife is right when she tells me to allways put the seat down...;)

Lol.

4 of IV

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site

That's why I always use a case. There are so many cases that look really good with the phone that there really is no reason not to have one in my opinion. I definitely don't want to damage this baby.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Kage_

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site

A few weeks ago I was about to get in my truck and was putting my phone in my jacket. Well I missed the pocket, it hit the ground on the corner and did a few flips before coming to a rest 6 feet away. The edge of my Spigen case is a little scratched on the corner where it hit but no damage to the phone.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

A few weeks ago I was about to get in my truck and was putting my phone in my jacket. Well I missed the pocket, it hit the ground on the corner and did a few flips before coming to a rest 6 feet away. The edge of my Spigen case is a little scratched on the corner where it hit but no damage to the phone.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Better the case than the phone IMO.

4 of IV

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site

I cracked the digitizer on my Tab 3 7.0 LTE when it fell out and bounced off a vehicle doorframe onto the pavement high rotation angular corner hit, POW. No sweat, ordered a digitizer $23 free shipping and used my bench tools to replace it in like ten minutes. The body has one scratch in the paint. So I'll probably order a skin with slight bumpers.

My three year old Echo is still the benchmark, charging port tighter than a tick and I even dropped it fifteen feet onto concrete. 'Super Copper Alloy' (sounds like time capsule copper alloy honestly) did its job, chipped out nearly half an inch of flooring with only a 0.3mm flattening of the impacted corner!! No damage to either screen and it didn't even throw the battery. If Kyocera got off its rear and used similar materials in a new phone I would buy it regardless of any benchmark scores.