Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Poor service

If I switched from an iPhone 4s ATT to a nexus 5 ATT should I still get a new Sim? My service is very unreliable and I'm curious if a new Sim will help

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    8,904 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Default Re: Poor service

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Karim View Post
    If I switched from an iPhone 4s ATT to a nexus 5 ATT should I still get a new Sim? My service is very unreliable and I'm curious if a new Sim will help

The 4S doesn't support 4G or LTE, so you should get a new sim, otherwise your N5 will only get 3G speeds.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

The att 4s will show 4g on the network indicator icon

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    Really? Because like said above, the 4S isn't 4G capable. 4G LTE was only introduced to the iphone with the 5.

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    8,904 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

The other versions of the 4S don't. That one didn't show 4G until after a software upgrade, but it's still 3G. It's AT&Ts refarmed H+

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    The other versions of the 4S don't. That one didn't show 4G until after a software upgrade, but it's still 3G. It's AT&Ts refarmed H+

Correct, not all versions hence why I said the att 4s. But similarly on the Note 3, not all versions support 4GLTE

Att considers h+ to be 4g

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Global Posts
    8,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Sounds like the service problems are related to the coverage area. You might have some improvement with the Nexus 5, but likely not by much. Do you know if anyone friends or family in your same area are having similar issues with AT&T?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    8,904 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Correct, not all versions hence why I said the att 4s. But similarly on the Note 3, not all versions support 4GLTE

Att considers h+ to be 4g

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
    Either way, it won't support LTE on the N5

9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

My 4s supported 4g but not LTE. I have LTE but it fluctuates so rapidly. I'll stand in the same spot and go from 3 bars to none and so on

I have noticed with the N5 (had a Moto X, GS3, GS2, iPhone, to name a few in the past) that it does not seem to have as robust of a cell phone radio. It seems the other phones did better keeping my signal where the N5 does not. The tradeoffs are worth it, IMO, because I use an ATT M-Cell at work and WiFi pretty much everywhere I go.

WiFi, 802.11n 5Ghz, performs much better than my GS3, Moto X or Atrix 4G (Atrix 4G did not support 802.11n).

Conclusion: Cell coverage in remote areas is poor (even comparing signal in dBm) compared to past phones I have owned. WiFi awesomeness does make up for it.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

I live in Orange County and never experienced this issue before. I'm not sure if your familiar with California Highways but I'll be on the 5 freeway and I from full service to almost no bars. Hopefully when I get the time I'll get a new sim and see what happens. Does ATT charge for a new SIM?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Karim View Post
    I live in Orange County and never experienced this issue before. I'm not sure if your familiar with California Highways but I'll be on the 5 freeway and I from full service to almost no bars. Hopefully when I get the time I'll get a new sim and see what happens. Does ATT charge for a new SIM?
    Not familiar with OC, but I know what you are talking about in regards to having service then losing it. I am also very familiar with the cell sites and geography of the area I live. When I lose signal because of where I am driving, I usually know why.

AT&T shouldn't charge you for the SIM, but every time I have done so was because I was doing so to get a different type: SIM, Micro, Nano etc.