Email replying to group

Ilfracombe

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
I am a member of a google group. The group is set up so that replies go to the group. That is what happens with all the other email clients that I use. However, when I use the email client that comes on the Nexus 5, the reply goes to the writer of the post and not the group as a whole. Why is this, and is there anything I can do about it?
thanks

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I am a member of a google group. The group is set up so that replies go to the group. That is what happens with all the other email clients that I use. However, when I use the email client that comes on the Nexus 5, the reply goes to the writer of the post and not the group as a whole. Why is this, and is there anything I can do about it?
thanks

Are you selecting the reply (left pointing arrow) button to send your replies? If so, have you tried the reply all option from the overflow (three stacked dots) button next to the reply button?

Ilfracombe

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
But the Reply All replies to both the group and the writer of the message, so the writer receives the message twice.
Why can't this client behave like all other clients in this respect?

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
When you choose reply all, where does the group show up? In the "to" or "cc" field? Have you tried reply all and then deleting the the original sender's name from the "to" field before you send it?

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
That's weird.
The Email reply/reply-all concept doesn't change between Email clients.

I'm sure you know this, but just to recap,
  • When clicking Reply, the Email response is sent to the ID in the "From" field of the Email you are responding to
  • When clicking Reply-All,. the Email response is sent to the ID in the "From" Field and in the "CC" field of the Email you are responding to.

Open the Email you are replying to, in the Nexus 5 Email client, and see what ID is in the From and CC fields. Compare this to the ID in the From/CC fields when you open the same Email in a different Email client. Is it the same? or different?

Ilfracombe

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I understand what the difference between Reply and Reply All is, thanks.

The admin of this group has set it up so that its address always appears in the 'Reply To' field. In all other email clients that I know, hitting the Reply sends the reply to the group. There is nothing in the cc field, either received or sent. If I want to reply to the creator of the post, then I have to cut and paste the address. This is the normal behaviour for a Group: it's the way this group is set up, and the way that all other email clients behave, including, for example, Aquamail, on my Nexus. Yes it is possible to set up the group so that the default is to reply to the writer, but that is definitely not how this group is set up.

By the way, it would be good to see all the headers. If it is possible, could someone tell me how?

When I reply with Email on my Nexus, it sends the mail to the writer. If I send with Reply All, then it sends to the writer, and CCs to the group, so the writer receives a duplicate. Yes, I could just delete one address every time, but that is not how it should work. Something is wrong, and when something is wrong, I want to correct it as something more could go wrong.

I don't know how to view all the headers on Email. All I can see on the received message is the name of the sender at the top, then the sender's address, and then, in the To: field, it has the name (not the address) of the group. When I reply, it just has the writer's name in the To: field, and when I hit Reply All it also has the address of the group in the CC field, which is not how it should work at all. As I said, it is just Email that works this way. I've looked back at some old threads and I see that a year ago someone else had described the problem. I had assumed it would be fixed by now, but apparently not.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I could just delete one address every time, but that is not how it should work.
Agreed.
The only other thing that I can think of is that the group Email must be auto-setting the "Reply to" field on the Email to be the group Email address. And perhaps, the Email app is ignoring the "Reply to" field on the mail header.

Did you try what I had suggested?
Open the Email you are replying to, in the Nexus 5 Email client, and see what ID is in the From and CC fields. Compare this to the ID in the From/CC fields when you open the same Email in a different Email client. Is it the same? or different?
When you try this on the other Email client, check the "Reply to" field in the incoming mail's header - if it is populated, then, the Email app on the N5 is probably ignoring that, leading to this issue. If so, you may want to try a different app, and report the issue on Google product forums.

Edit: Regarding the headers, you can't view the full headers using the stock Email app - you should be able to hit the dropdown near the "to" name to see partial headers (including From, Reply-To, to and Date - but that is about it. To see all headers, you will need a different app, or view in the browser)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance